Sign in to follow this  
CarlGustaffa

Problem with description.ext sounds

Hi

I notice the wiki says that only "three types" of sounds can be specified; general, radio, and music. But in Arma (and OFP) we have actually four types to choose from when placing a trigger under the effects, what gives?

How do you *force* a sound into the menu of your choice? What is required in terms of sound attributes and description.ext classes and statements.

Specifically, how do I make my three chickensounds appear under the trigger dropdown instead of the voice dropdown? I think the wiki is quite vague on explaining this.

As far as I know (Havent played with this in ArmA yet) Where it is put in the dropdown is set by its class.

Only "music" and "Sounds" will end un in the dropdown at all.

I do not know of a way to set a class for a specific dropdown.

Maybe it's the file data itself somehow that determines which dropdown it goes to? I suspect "general" (not sure about the name right now) is stereosounds and that "voice" and "triggers" aer mono sounds. But what then determines a sound from ending up in the trigger or voice dropdowns?

I have some old OFP soundclasses I used back then. The idea was to have it play as a trigger dropdown (similar to Bog, bird and all that) and in the same way; randomize which of the sounds are played. Don't think this worked on the voice class.

Edit: Should note that I just got some error message when trying to copy this OFP class in description.ext.

Specifically, how do I make my three chickensounds appear under the trigger dropdown instead of the voice dropdown?

Your description.ext needs to define the CfgSFX class containing your chicken sounds. You'll find an example below -- the example sound would be accessed as TLpPMc1 in the trigger's "trigger drop-down menu".

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgSFX {

class sfx_TLpPMc1

{

name = "TLpPMc1";

sounds[] = {"sound1"};

sound1[] = {"TLpPMc1.ogg",1, 1, 0.98, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0};

titles[] = {};

empty[] = {"", 0, 0, 0, 1, 5, 20};

};

};

Wrt. to attribute-parameters, the following explanation (by "bloodmixer") might help:

Quote[/b] ]

class CfgSFX

{

sounds[] = { examplesound };

class examplesound

{

name = "example sound";

sounds[]={sound1,sound2};

sound1[]={"soundname.ogg", db-0,1,0.3,5,1,10};

sound2[]={"soundname2.ogg", db-0,1,0.3,5,1,10};

empty[]= {, , , , 1 , 5, 20};

};

};

This line : sounds[]={sound1,sound2}; defines what sounds are in your loop. In this case sound1 and sound2, which are defined in the lines ahead. Lets take a look at the hard part, this line :

What are these numbers ?

db-0 defines the sound volume

this 1 defines the pitch of the sample.

0.3 is the chance this sound will play. If chance is 1 than this will be the only sound that plays

I really don't know what this setting does.

This number defines the minimum time it waits before moving on (randomly)

This number defines the maximum time it waits before moving on. (randomly)

And than you got this line :

empty[]= {, , , , 1 , 5, 20};

I have absolutely no idea what this does as of yet. I did notice that taking it away crashes OFP, so tuck it in. Perhaps it is some sort of order of playing ? Or to define the end of this sound class ? I don't know....

Source: tutorial

Thank, I'll try using cfgSFX class and experimenting with the numbers and see what I come up with.

(edit: spelling)

Thank you, it works great. My mistake was trying to describe the soundclass within CfgSounds instead of CfgSFX.