Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

Explain "curling" to me

I see brooms and a rock.. and fast sweeping.... what the #### is this "sport"?

well curling originated from scotland over 600 years ago, before america was even on the map =]]]]]

there are 10 ends with an extra end if the scores are equal

8 stones per team each weighing in at 49lb i think

object of game get ur stone to the centre of the circle and other team to try and stop u

ur allowed to use ur stones as guards as long as they cross the red line but after 3 stones are played the opposing team are allowed to remove the guards with their stones

advantage seems to be when the team has the "last stone" so generally they can kinda guarantee to pick up a point or the last stone is used to make sure the other team dont take the point.

hope that helps

This should be clarified:

You score a point, for each of your stones that is closer to the center of the circle then the best placed oppposing stone.

So if at the end of the "end", the 3 stones closest to the center are, say, the Canadian's, Canada scores three points.

It's like Boccia/Boule/Petanque - if those sports ring a bell with you.

The reason the players wipe the ice on front of the stone, is to create a friction on the surface of the ice, causing a thin layer of water to appear which gives the stone more speed. Likewise the direction of the stone can be changed, if the ice is wiped more on the left side of the stone, the stone will "curl" (turn) towards that side, this also giving the game it's name!

A bit of trivia: The only medal ever won by Denmark in the winter olympics was in curling. In Nagano, and I believe it was silver.

lol much like 10 grown adults chasing a bit of rubber on ice with large sticks biggrin.gif

i love that sport, smile.gif i had a really good shareware game of curling, sad.gif cant find it again tho on my new comp, ne1 else found one confused.gifbiggrin.gif

I talked to one of my friends who is a Canadian, and he said 'I don't like curing.' But as soon as my other firend started to ask how to points are given, my Canadian friends start to talk for minutes about curling. tounge.gif

If you didn't know, Peter Jennings is Canadian.

Man, that game sucks Damage!

Shame on you sad.gif

If you want decent browser games, go here

Once you install the wild tangent plug-in, try out the skate-park game. It's amazing.

I once had that plug-in but the I noticed that it came with a program that connected to the Internet in the background mad.gif I don't like programs that connect without asking anything so I uninstalled the whole crap (I found out it was some sort of updating program but that makes no difference).

I tend to agree with you.

It's easy in this case to turn off the auto-updater though.

What I really hate is that goddamn Quicktime "Upgrade Now?"

image. That gets to me...

That can easily be changed in the settings. (Main - Preferences - Somewhere)

And most spam can be avoided by setting icq to not accept messages from anyone except those in your list.

(saw this being discussed in earlier thread)

As for the background programs, it was probably in the License Agreement thingy (no, I didn't read it either).

Windows does the exact same thing btw.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ Feb. 23 2002,20:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think I found that game...

http://www.fifty1.com/<span id='postcolor'>

Yes!

Finally the curling sim we've been waiting for all these years biggrin.gif