Sign in to follow this  
Uranium - 235

Damage Model

For me to have serious consideration of purchasing ARMA 2 the damage model will need a total overhaul.  ARMA's model was very poor by simulation standards but I let it slide that time.

The hitpoint system has to go, in its place a system of material thickness/composition/angel vs projectile kinetic energy or HEAT penetration needs to go in.  If it penetrates the projectile path needs to be tracked through the vehicle modeling all the effects on components (all the important ones like ammo/fuel/people/weapons/engine/radio/wheels/suspension/sights should be modeled) with fragmentation and after armor effects modeled too.

It's a big ask but it's also the standard of sims these days.

I can only supoort that to 100%.

Actually i made some thoughts about the way how it could be done at the easiest point: You just need to model a invisible part over certain parts in your vehicle and say: "This round gets stopped", "that round passes through" and so on...

Of course like you said would be awesome if effects of that weapon would be proper modeled..

And as far as i can remember from Interviews of GC 07, Maruk said that some sort of penetration will be included in Arma2... I hope this system will be as realistic as possible (Guys come' on: The internet is full with all data of armor and penetration Values (RHA)), or at least would be very easy extendable so realism-mods like ACE could take care about it...

So yes, proper simulation of weapons and armor-defeatness/penetration is a must-have... otherwise it wont deserver the title "Ultimate Military Simulation".

Regards, Christian