Sign in to follow this  
Sevan

More 8800 and ArmA problems

did you check the one on your 8800 too? someone have overheating 8800 because the thermal grease is not completely covering the GPU surface and the cooler

(and he blame for "poorly made china product" which is a little missleading as mine are also Made in china but i have had no problem on it lately)

can't exactly see anything with the big plastic cover.

er............you have to take it off first, not a good idea if you are not used on such things(i.e replacing stock cooler)

er............you have to take it off first, not a good idea if you are not used on such things(i.e replacing stock cooler)

exactly sad_o.gif

I'll take a look at the power supply.

Just to add another problem...This one I've mentioned in other threads. After restarting ArmA again, I played for about 1 hour with no problems, then when I tried to shut down it wouldn't. It got stuck in the black screen with "shutting down..." on the bottom. I had to use the task manager to close ArmA.

Dont worry i had the same problem in Vista but i now have a second hard drive with XP and now Arma shuts down without the problem now.

Arma and Vista is like heaven and hell as someone as mentioned before, run it in xp you will find a hell of a difference. My temps can get to 70c under load, make sure you have your fan set to 90-100% as at default the cards run at 60% which is not enough.

Install rivatuner and see what your temps and fan speed is set too, if it is at default 60% increase as mentioned above.

Also download memtest. Its a freeware and very simple program that test your memory.

I had constant crashes with Arma but I also noticed other games wwre crashing and did the memtest, turns out two sticks of ram were busted. D:

Your problem is most likley unrelated though.

Still worthwhile.

It sounds definitly like the memory allocation problems.

Try adding -maxmem=512 to the startup parameter of ur ArmA.

Exchange it to 256 if still problematic.

Also, get ur settings at normal or above, I noticed the same issues under Vista with certain texture/shading settings, might even've been filtering related.

Vista itself imho is not the problem, ArmA's Vista compatibility is, esp concerning the 8800 etc.

I must admit, yesterday after loading multiple different camo's in a couple of different missions after eachother, I had the same problem on XP after playing for a few hours.

www.guru3d.com got the latest drivers for ur card, 163.11 worked wonders for me, however ArmA vista performance is about 10-20fps less than my XP performance... Maybe in future patches BIS will start supporting Vista officially and we get some fixes/optimizations.

will do. I'll try the memory fix. I'll edit this post when I do, with a response.

Why is everybody talking about the maxmem?

The support at the german forum said this parameter is not available in 1.08 anymore...

Why is everybody talking about the maxmem?

The support at the german forum said this parameter is not available in 1.08 anymore...

Well...on my pc, if I do not use it...I do not get to play!

Without it..I have CTD's after 10 minutes or so.

With it..I have unlimited games. (9 straight days tested with EVO mission)

I've done everything this thread has recommended:

-installed a fan blowing into the card intake fan.

-used Rivatuner to increae the fan speed to 100% from 60%

-installed the beta 163 Nvidia drivers

-using the maxmem shortcut cheat

-and anything I forgot to mention here

Let's see if it helps thumbs-up.gif

lol alot tested out there mate... Good luck and hang in there.

We'll get you there smile_o.gif

As a last resort, ff your card is under warranty still I'd contact the manufacturer or the place you bought it and ask for a replacement. Just tell them you cant get the heat levels down (small lie) and if the place you bought it is any good they should

A) Replace it and send yours away.

B) Send yours away for repair anyway.

We aren't 100% sure its the card but again all the problems point to overheating. I've experienced faulty cooling on cards before thats exactly what happens when there's too much heat in your GPU.