Sign in to follow this  
PorkchopExpress

Petition for xbox opf

Ok, xbox has some big-name FPS games coming out, but we all know that OPF would blow them away. The control scheme on xbox would be perfect for this game, not to mention the broadband capabilities. Heck, make one for PS2 and Gamecube too! If you too want to see this game ported, please sign here, hopefully a developer will see it and consider it to be a good idea. Jeez, put one on the Gameboy Advance, portable OPF!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Espectro @ Feb. 20 2002,11:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">*hurrying to get his flameproof suit on*<span id='postcolor'>

For serious cows only:

backdraft.jpg

I dont think the X-Box would handle OFP too well...Last I read the Xbox has a mere 300mhz CPU and as OFP is very AI intensive this could prove to be a problem. I'm not a huge fan of consoles, they are so limited and generally there's only a few games worth buying.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Feb. 20 2002,04:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont think the X-Box would handle OFP too well...Last I read the Xbox has a mere 300mhz CPU and as OFP is very AI intensive this could prove to be a problem. I'm not a huge fan of consoles, they are so limited and generally there's only a few games worth buying.<span id='postcolor'>

No Xbox has 733Mhz...it's PS2 that has 300Mhz......but yeah I think your right it wouldn't handle to well.....

Personally I don't think OFP would work well on any console.

For a start in a game like this you need a good system for talking to other players, this would require players to shell out Å20-Å30 for a keyboard (Like the DC's).

Secondly, I think OFP is too realistic for the console market. Unlike 'Perfect Dark' and 'Time Splitters' etc, where it's "Rambo style" most of the time (don't get me wrong, I love Perfect Dark and the like), OFP is very much a tactical sim, if you go all John Rambo you will die. Being an avid console Gamer I don't think the majority of console gamers would take to OFP, it's much more suited to the PC gaming market. OFP is like the Microsoft Flight Simulater of it's genra (spelt wrong I bet)

Still, all this is just my opinion, feel free to shoot me down if you disagree.

OFP on Xbox would suck, if only because you have to use a joystick. Joysticks absolutely suck for FPS games, no matter what anyone says. Especially ones that require pin-point shooting like Flashpoint. It's not like you have a minigun you can just spray and pray with, like on virtually every console shooter.

And autoaim would kind of defeat the purpose. No, I think OFP should stay on the PCs where it belongs, with the more mature crowd that comes with it (though that's not saying much sometimes).

Console players woulden't enjoy Operation Flashpoint's type of gameplay.

Man everyones reasoning for this is silly. As for the person who said you cant use joysticks to play FPS, i use a joystick to play OPF on my computer. Get this: I am a digital artist, and I hate using the mouse/keyboard setup to play FPS games. The XBOX has a 733 processor, with no OS overhead, with a sick video card. Has anyone here ever seen HALO? Its a great FPS. As far as needing a keyboard, XBOX is built in ethernet and online gaming is going to include voice chat only, no keyboard is in the works for XBOX. And for the person who said that the console market wouldnt accept this, YOU are the reason why consoles get "twitchy" games and PC gets more "strategic" games! I would rather play OPF on my xbox on a huge TV and a comfortable controller rather than hunched over my mouse and keyboard, squinting at my 15" monitor to see if that dot over there....ooops im dead.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ThePorkchopExpress @ Feb. 22 2002,00:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And for the person who said that the console market wouldnt accept this, YOU are the reason why consoles get "twitchy" games and PC gets more "strategic" games!<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, I gotta disagree there. I would love to see more game like OFP on consoles, but the fact of the matter is that the majority would not. Most console owners are more interested in their 'Pick up and Play' capabilities. Thats why the most successful console games are normally sports games, racing games and shoot-em-ups.

i would love flashpoint for xbox, i would get it the day it comes out. But how would you control your 12 man squad, pick individual people and use the commands, there just isnt enough buttons. MAybe if there was a keyboard attachemtent or somthin. But games like ghost recon, which is coming out for xbox, it is more easily done because it isnt as complicated and doesnt require as many buttons as ofp

As someone who has played most FPS games out there on the PC and swears by the mouse and keyboard combination, all I can say to anyone that says you can't play one with a pad is "you obviously haven't played Halo on the Xbox". They have got the control setup perfect and I feel as confident and deadly on Halo with the pad as I do on any PC fps with the mouse/keyboard.

As for it not being suitable, maybe yes as far as the realism and difficulty goes though the Xbox has Brute Force coming out soon and that is a four man squad based game. I recomend everyone scoot along to an Xbox site and check out the screen grabs and videos of this game, you won't believe those visuals are realtime.

While I'm on the subject of visuals, this would be OFP's main problem on Xbox... the average console gamer would not put up with those ropey graphics, far too PC and ugly. Though I think OFP is great, I have to say the texture work is pretty poor, the meshes for the soldiers are a bit questionable (whats going on with the chest area?) and the texture co-ordinates and cross polygon shading leave a bit to be desired. Dunno, maybe my grpahics card isn't working properly with it. Top marks for the density of objects though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (762WorldOrder @ Feb. 21 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP on Xbox would suck, if only because you have to use a joystick.  Joysticks absolutely suck for FPS games, no matter what anyone says.  Especially ones that require pin-point shooting like Flashpoint.  It's not like you have a minigun you can just spray and pray with, like on virtually every console shooter.  

And autoaim would kind of defeat the purpose.  No, I think OFP should stay on the PCs where it belongs, with the more mature crowd that comes with it (though that's not saying much sometimes).<span id='postcolor'>

Your right....I have time splitters and it's super difficult to control on PS2....you have to use both joysticks at the same time....