Sign in to follow this  
JBâ„¢

OT-90 Help

A friend of mine has just purchased, and is in the process of importing a Czech OT-90. He has paid up and will have it in around 2 month’s time.

From the little info we have googled on the vehicle we assume it is an M version (amphibious) as it has a wheel inside the back door to lock it tighter and preserve its water tight integrity.

I know some here will suggest doing my own home work and suggest generic search engines for me to use, however due to the unique nature of this forum their maybe someone here who has good knowledge of the OT-90 or even its variants. Maybe someone here has actually used one during the course of their military service.

What I would like if possible is any info at all on the OT-90M (not sure yet if its m1, 2 or 3). Info like the CES (complete equipment schedule) if it has one? what it would carry onboard (and outboard) tow chains/ropes/bars, fire equipment, recovery equipment, track repair kit. Etc.

Also, in the driver and commander positions their are leather pistol holsters attached to the inside -what pistol would this be for?

What role would the vehicle and troops be employed in. The Czech Republic MoD website I saw said this:

Quote[/b] ]This system is designed for the transport of a squad of anti-aircraft gunners and is equipped with a portable anti-aircraft set.
Is this true? I thought it was a general APC.

I have a fairly good knowledge of military equipment but I know nothing about the OT-90 except what my friend google tells me so, anything at all anyone can help me with would be great!

Thanks in advance

- JB

Further to this,

can anyone tell me what the wooden beam/pole attached to the rear of the vehicle in the pics on THIS page is for?

I have seen them attached to OT-90 variants and I am confused as to its use.

Well, my best guess would be that it's used to hang camo net or something?

Regarding the AA thingy... maybe it means that they were/are equipped with AA missiles (i.e. Strela) as a standard, like most if not all USSR BMPs had a Strela and SVD stored in them by default (that's how FDF actually acquired a fair amount of stuff)?

The wooden bar (more like a log or telephone pole) is used for recovery when stuck in deep mud.

I cant remember the exact science behind it (I've only ever had to recover wheeled vehicles) but you shove the pole under the tracks, chain it on (or to something, I forget exactly) and then drive out. The pole acts as a large gripping surface and allows you to drive out.

Edit: US Army FM on the technique. Same principal applies to the Soviet vehicles.

Thanks, thats been a great help.

most of the beams I have seen attached are square, thats why I wasn't sure of its purpose. I suppose a square beam would do the trick too.