Sign in to follow this  
Deusrexmachina

Is OpF XP 64 bit compatible?

Hello. I need to get soon a new PC, but the shop dealer told me that the XP 64 bit version isn't compatible for most games. If I get this version, what will happen to both OpF and ArmA?

Thanks. wink_o.gif

I have no personal experiences with 64-bit Windows XP but I only remember reading about problems. I wouldn't really buy 64-bit XP at all, I'd buy Vista 64-bit but that's either not promised to work with OFP/ArmA.

A safe bet is to use 32-bit Windows XP with OFP & ArmA. You can use 32-bit XP on the new 64-bit AMD/Intel hardware.

You can then at later time upgrade your operating system to a 64-bit version when the rest of the software, like games, have catched up. This is what I have planned to do if I end up buying a new computer in the near future, I'll not buy an operating system at all for now but will use my old 32-bit XP on the new 64-bit hardware.

The basic difference between 32-bit and 64-bit is how much memory (2^32 or 2^64) your computer can address. If you don't need to address more than 4 GB of memory then don't worry about having a 64-bit operating system. Over 4 GB of addressable memory is useful for professional 3D modelling (large assemblies of large 3D models), servers and such. For a gaming computer you don't need that much.

I have no personal experiences with 64-bit Windows XP but I only remember reading about problems. I wouldn't really buy 64-bit XP at all, I'd buy Vista 64-bit but that's either not promised to work with OFP/ArmA.

A safe bet is to use 32-bit Windows XP with OFP & ArmA. You can use 32-bit XP on the new 64-bit AMD/Intel hardware.

You can then at later time upgrade your operating system to a 64-bit version when the rest of the software, like games, have catched up. This is what I have planned to do if I end up buying a new computer in the near future, I'll not buy an operating system at all for now but will use my old 32-bit XP on the new 64-bit hardware.

The basic difference between 32-bit and 64-bit is how much memory (2^32 or 2^64) your computer can address. If you don't need to address more than 4 GB of memory then don't worry about having a 64-bit operating system. Over 4 GB of addressable memory is useful for professional 3D modelling (large assemblies of large 3D models), servers and such. For a gaming computer you don't need that much.

Hiyo, and thanks for your reply. Actually I need the PC also to learn CAD-CAM for work and certainly 4 GB will be handy, so was wondering if I could virtually split the hard-disk in half, or also have two hard-disks in one computer, and in the first to use XP 32 bit for gamings and in the second the 64 version for work. Any further suggestions perhaps? smile_o.gif

This dealer is stupid as shit.

I've been using XP64 for 3d modelling and it works with everything. Every game I installed, worked. Those older too.

It works slower on XP64 than Vista 64 Ultimate on the same pc.

You'll be waisting time and health with dual boot.

I have professional experience from the field of CAE/CAD and I have worked with very large 3D assemblies. I have used computers at work with 1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB of RAM. If you are not creating anything of large industrial scale, then 2 GB of RAM is enough.

You can buy more RAM than 2 GB but I'm telling you you won't need it for most of the work I can imagine you doing if you are doing CAD/CAM. The memory requirement starts to affect you if your 3D model assemblies grow big, which is very unlikely if you are not doing an industrial project of something complex. For CAM I guess you would most of the time handle only one 3D model at a time, or small assemblies.

If you are in some Engineering School and taking CAD/CAM classes then you will be absolutely fine with 2 GB of RAM. The available time and the scope of the classes is not enough to put you working on a project that would justify more than 2 GB of RAM.

I'm not saying don't buy 4 GB of RAM, I'm saying know if you really need it. Based on my experiences I have a feeling that you don't actually need that much. It could be worthwhile for you to check first what kind of computers are used to design the parts.

About dual-booting. Yes you can do it, but I think you could be better of not doing it. Might be overly complicated to your situation. I myself have WinXP and Linux on the same computer, but that's only because I want to use Linux most of the time, and WinXP for playing games. I wouldn't put two Windows operating systems into the same computer as I think there is not enough benefits.

Quote[/b] ]This dealer is stupid as shit.

I've been using XP64 for 3d modelling and it works with everything. Every game I installed, worked. Those older too.

It works slower on XP64 than Vista 64 Ultimate on the same pc.

You'll be waisting time and health with dual boot.

Now that's a straight-to-the-spot comment. biggrin_o.gif Thanks. But with 'every game' you've installed, d'you also mean older ones like GTA III (and Vice City), NASCAR Racing Season 2003, Hitman2, NOLF2, and other titles I can't recall? Most recent ones don't attract me, apart from Test Drive Unlimited, and I've a bunch load of even 6 year old games. I'd love to play them again in a much higher resolution and a more decent fluidity, but I don't want to make a big mistake by buying the wrong PC.

Quote[/b] ]I have professional experience from the field of CAE/CAD and I have worked with very large 3D assemblies. I have used computers at work with 1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB of RAM. If you are not creating anything of large industrial scale, then 2 GB of RAM is enough.

You can buy more RAM than 2 GB but I'm telling you you won't need it for most of the work I can imagine you doing if you are doing CAD/CAM. The memory requirement starts to affect you if your 3D model assemblies grow big, which is very unlikely if you are not doing an industrial project of something complex. For CAM I guess you would most of the time handle only one 3D model at a time, or small assemblies.

If you are in some Engineering School and taking CAD/CAM classes then you will be absolutely fine with 2 GB of RAM. The available time and the scope of the classes is not enough to put you working on a project that would justify more than 2 GB of RAM.

I'm not saying don't buy 4 GB of RAM, I'm saying know if you really need it. Based on my experiences I have a feeling that you don't actually need that much. It could be worthwhile for you to check first what kind of computers are used to design the parts.

About dual-booting. Yes you can do it, but I think you could be better of not doing it. Might be overly complicated to your situation. I myself have WinXP and Linux on the same computer, but that's only because I want to use Linux most of the time, and WinXP for playing games. I wouldn't put two Windows operating systems into the same computer as I think there is not enough benefits.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My field will be 'bout plastic injection moulds, not the same level of complexity and very large 3D assemblies like in your case.

Will 4 GB improve game play (OpF and ArmA)? Just a reminder that the PC is needed for both work and entertainment, so my idea is to get something powerful and that can also last some years, like the one I'm typing on (almost 7 years, pity the graphic card can't allow me to play any game, apart from The Next Tetris. -_- ).

Hmmmm... has anyone played, or is playing, OpF in SLI mode? Are there real benefits graphically speaking? (instead of opening another topic might as well use this one.)