Sign in to follow this  
pete10

tank rounds

Quote[/b] ]I've seen pattern of fragments caused by 100mm on white snow

I'm just curious: what type of ammunition was that? Is it from a D-10 gun of the T54/55?

Most likely it was T-54, could have been T-55. But i don't remeber (over 6 years now)that it would have had that muzzlebreak in barrel's nose, so that indicates to T-54.

Interesting topic...I'm not sure myself whether they are intended to be HE or HEAT rounds in ArmA...to my eyes they seem* to produce too little blast effect for true HE, but too much for classic HEAT. So maybe it is intended to represent some sort of "dual purpose" hybrid.

* and I too would welcome the input of hard data from somebody who really knows how these things behave in the modern world.

I have to comment on the assertion that HEAT uses "chemical energy" to defeat armour though. In my head it conjured up an image of somebody connecting a ginat battery to the tank and...electroplating it?

If you take it all the way back to source, a sabot round uses chemical energy too...you still need an explosive charge to impart the necessary kinetic energy. HEAT is not totally dissimilar, except that it dynamically forms its own "sabot" on impact.

I'm sure sure the temperature of the molten jet adds to the effect, especailly against inferior armour materials, and hence the HEAT acronym has the added benefit of added meaning that means it is likely to continue to be used even in cases where the primary applicatrion isn't "anti-tank".

Is there going to be any attempt by the addon community to reduce the effectiveness of HEAT sources (HEAT tank rounds, Guided AT missiles, AT4, RPG's, etc.) with modern tank armor equipped with high quality ERA or Chobham armor for Armed Assault?

I know there is currently no config setting that acts as a "formula" variable factoring in HE resistance, but would possibly amping up the armor value for the tank and making the Sabot rounds more powerful as a result work? Or is that just "passing the buck" on the problem?

I figure the ACE project I believe or something like it similiar to WGL mod will focus on this, but it would be nice to have most armor addon makers embrace a unianmious standard for damage values and armor ratings that would be realistic.

havoc, I've had such a config since OFP and it's modified for ArmA too though it worked better in OFP.

good'ole'days :tear:

read aboot it here: http://thehideout.servehttp.com/ (Oden Armor System button for ArmA but a more extensive text incl. all tests I did in the OFP section)

Is there going to be any attempt by the addon community to reduce the effectiveness of HEAT sources (HEAT tank rounds, Guided AT missiles, AT4, RPG's, etc.) with modern tank armor equipped with high quality ERA or Chobham armor for Armed Assault?

I know there is currently no config setting that acts as a "formula" variable factoring in HE resistance, but would possibly amping up the armor value for the tank and making the Sabot rounds more powerful as a result work? Or is that just "passing the buck" on the problem?

I figure the ACE project I believe or something like it similiar to WGL mod will focus on this, but it would be nice to have most armor addon makers embrace a unianmious standard for damage values and armor ratings that would be realistic.

Already done:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Weapons#Vehicle_Weapons