Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Textures, P3D, PAA, oh my :)

I'm trying to make my own textures for use with particles. They're supplemental to ArmA, not replacements, so I need to make a totally new resource.

I have a .PAA file that contains the textures, and it seems I need to get this into P3D format for it to work.

Can anyone explain why? Am I making a single polygon mapped with my texture? Why cannot the "drop" command use the .PAA texture file if it's just getting the textures?

And lastly, exactly how do I get this .PAA texture file into a P3D format suitable for script use?

i think (not 100% sure) but the ArmA engine doesn't support sprites...

If it was me i'd look at the Keygetys client files for his spectating script.

It had an addon that the client was to use that had a MLOD (old style) p3d in it.... And you can look at his .cpp for what to do on the config side of things...

play around with different geom in your p3d using O2 till you get what you need..

Can anyone explain why? Am I making a single polygon mapped with my texture? Why cannot the "drop" command use the .PAA texture file if it's just getting the textures?

Anyway, you don't need any configuration in order to drop a particle. Just make the p3d model, and use the path to the model in the drop command.

Just how big is this particle that you want to drop? Is it the size of a man? The size of a house? Without a p3d, how is the engine supposed to know how big your particle is, relative to everything else?