Sign in to follow this  
Kynxx

Autorotate on choppers doing emergency landing?

OK, incontrovertible proof.

So, here I am flying along in my HueyCobra at speed over Rahmadi, when, oh shit! I accidentally pushed the "dump fuel all at once" button!

"Good golly cap'n," quips my gunner, "it's a good thing nasty ole Suma and co. programmed this thing with autorotation abilities! And heck, even in the 1.7 beta!"

"Damn straight," I say as I straighten my trucker's cap, setting the chopper up for a flare and emergency landing.

Autorotation Video - v1.7 BETA - size, about 6MB.

Very weird technique but it worked, I've been trying to do them the way they are done in the real world and it doesn't always work. If you did an auto the way you do in the real world, it would still auto rotate all the way down but everyone would die, when you hit the ground. You are doing 0 airspeed autos, which basically use a much higher rate of descent to maintain the same upflow required to keep the rotor RPM in the green. They are only done with very high power recoveries because there is no way to arrest the enormous rate of descent required, well except for hover autos but thats not quite the same. Anyway I have to remember this is Arma and you have to do what works in ArmA not real life, I'll try to get a youtube of the way I'm doing them in a little while.

Edit: can you upload the fuel script somewhere I get tired of flying for 20 seconds waiting for the fuel to run out.

Just Make an Air Unit, Say West, Name it A, make a trigger, that Has BlueFor Present, and in the On Activation Line put A SetFuel 0.

Then when you fly into the trigger zone, your fuel dumps all out..

happy,crshngintoafireball.

I made a practise mission for myself where I had 3 triggers:

Radio Alpha Repetable

Heli1 setfuel 0

Radio Bravo Repetable

Heli1 setfuel 1; Heli1 setdammage 0

Radio Charlie Repetable

Heli1 setpos [getpos heli1 select 0, getpos heli1 select 1, 200]

So by activating radio alpha my engine stops. When I land I activate radio bravo and the fuel as back and the helicopter is good to go without damage (also good if you see whats coming and do not want to crash...). If I do not have the patience to wait for altitude (or to avoid a crash) I can activate radio Charlie.

Remember to name your shopper heli1....

edit: Is it a bug that you cant shut down the ingine when you are flying? If i remember correctly you could do that in OFP?

Ahh, thank you, that explains it.

Thats right, now that you mention it, I dont like to jump into a chopper in arma and the engine starts up because I didnt have the throttle on min... Annoying..