Sign in to follow this  
ernie247

Map Problems

9 times out of 10 when i try access the map in a mission ( both SP and MP ) It can take up to a minute to load and then often there will be no text on my notepad and all the markers will be blurred. It makes the map useless because its mega laggy, would take 5 minutes for me to scroll the map to the other side of the island.

Very occasionally the map is fine and functions properly but most of the time its blurred and laggy and almost impossible to use. Its the most annoying bug ever as the map is the most important thing. I have to make do with the gps which is not good enough. Im having to learn the map in my head for MP maps like evolution so i can remember where each city is, its sooo annoying. It takes me even longer to exit the map. Opening, looking and closing the map is a 5 minute job for me instead of 5 seconds like it should be.

Apart from this the game runs fine. Ive tried disabling the extra map detail but that doesnt help. Anyone got any ideas as it is really messing the game up for me.. All i want is a working map sad_o.gif

Never heard of this before. Your system specs would be helpful. Also, have you tried lowering your video settings as low as possible?

If you have a middle to top line PC, lowered your video settings, and still getting extremely long map loading, you may have to try a clean reinstall.

Whats your PC Specs? Sounds like its taking a while to load because of a slow PC? smile_o.gif

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I have an old system and have everything set to minimum but dont have a problem with fps ingame. It not so much the loading thats the trouble, its the fact that when the maps actually open its impossible to move it around or zoom at any speed. Its like the map is running at 1 frame every 5 seconds or something. But like i said, occasionally ( when im playing the usual maps ) it runs perfectly.

AMD 3200+ XP

1gb PC3200 DDR

Radeon 9800 Pro

Will a reinstall be likely to fix things?

The reason it's hard for you to move/zoom in the map is because the map is constantly updated.  Your video card should be able to run arma fine, especially if all your settings are on low.

Ram looks ok.

My best guess is your CPU.  It's default clock is 2ghz, and I don't think this game will run properly with that. I've heard of P4's running this fine but they're upwards of 3+ ghz.

This is just a guess as I have no experience with that chip.  My advice is to reinstall, and if it's not fixed, think about purchasing a new chip or new rig.

Hmm CPU should be fine. Its @ 2.2ghz but to my knowledge its the fastest 32-bit chip available and performs the same as a 3.2ghz p4 ( for games anyway ).

This bug is so annoying sad_o.gif

Thanks for the replies. Im gonna have to go with a reinstall i think. Got a feeling i deleted all my patches though

Slow cpu/vid is not the cause, I've been happily playing ArmA on a lesser system since it came out.

p4 3ghz

9600xt

It might be related to streaming data from the HDD?

Hmm CPU should be fine. Its @ 2.2ghz but to my knowledge its the fastest 32-bit chip available and performs the same as a 3.2ghz p4 ( for games anyway ).

Thanks for the replies. Im gonna have to go with a reinstall i think. Got a feeling i deleted all my patches though

2.2ghz is low-medium mate...

Current Athlons run up to 2.8ghz and overclocked even faster. Ur CPU is an Athlon XP which performs under current Athlon 64.

Myself im running a 3.3ghz Core2 CPU which is comparable to ~3.6ghz Athlon64 and ~4.4ghz P4.

At this speed the CPU is rarely the bottleneck in ArmA as i'm usually under the full use of 1 CPU.

What videocard and drivers do you run, what gameversion do you run? in 1.05 the map improved a bit, and in 1.07beta/1.08 it's even better. Also in v1.08 there should be improvement on the harddisk usage...

Make sure ur harddrives are defragmented smile_o.gif

2.2ghz is low-medium mate...

Current Athlons run up to 2.8ghz and overclocked even faster. Ur CPU is an Athlon XP which performs under current Athlon 64.

Myself im running a 3.3ghz Core2 CPU which is comparable to ~3.6ghz Athlon64 and ~4.3ghz P4.

At this speed the CPU is rarely the bottleneck in ArmA as i'm usually under the full use of 1 CPU.

What videocard and drivers do you run, what gameversion do you run? in 1.05 the map improved a bit, and in 1.07beta/1.08 it's even better.

Sorry i mean my CPU is the fastest AMD 32-bit, thats correct isnt it? Even though its 2.2ghz it performs comparable to a much higher clocked p4. In this case 3ghz+. I know its nothing compared to a 64-bit though, was just saying.

Im running latest omega drivers i think. And my game is 1.05. Map has always been a trouble. Really struggled with navigation in the SP campaign. lol.

Perhaps i should try the beta patch? But the official one should be soon?

I'm also having the same problem with the map. In addition to being slow, the textures sometimes are blurred.

Even worse than the map bug is when I hit escape to bring up the options window. Sometimes it'll sit there for 10 minutes on "Receiving..." before the options dialog pops up.

Running Core2Duo E6600 + 8800GTS 320MB. Tried all variations of drivers, details settings etc and the problem still exists.