Sign in to follow this  
TJ_au

Gravity in ArmA

@plaintiff1

Quote[/b] ]I have two issues with the original post.

Firstly, we must provide proof that the speed of gravity is not proper.

Secondly, we must prove that there is ballistic weirdness, and it what quality and quantity.

That’s pretty much where I stand on the subject to. I was just exploring the possibility that other things may be affecting the results Tj_au has observed.

@Spokesperson

Quote[/b] ]I made a few tests. There's probably some kind of air resistance. Bombs don't fall right down. (GBU).

In OFP I had Gravity equal to 9 to get the best results for my Mortar addon. But considering OFP\Arma's ballistics are a Black Box, and my scripts used a degree of fudging, I did not put to much emphasis on it. In the Olden Days, setting gravity to a small integer helped reduce the processing overheads.

There is an entry in the config, sideAirFriction = 1; under class CfgAmmo. I've previously tried setting that to 0, to see if it had any effect. When I last tested it, it didn't.

It may also be worth trying particles and class thing objects to. Particles offer a few more parameters to adjust.

But seen as air resistance has such a massive effect on projectiles in Arma compared to gravity, that can been seen when the data is plotted. I think it's safe to say some sort of air resistance is modelled.

Yes, I imagine there's loads of resistance (that makes it move in the sides) for the GBU bomb. But Camel Grens are streamlined and got no special features. The thing is that ArmA won't allow me to drop them from a height.

it depends on your altitude...  wink_o.gif

places in australia and europe that share the same altitude (distance to the middle of the earth) also share the same gravity....

I thought it also depended on how thick the Earths crust was at the point you are standing.

I think we'll just stick to the generic term "gravitiy" instead of "gravity induced acceleration toward the center of the Earth". Because it's simpler.  wink_o.gif

We'll be seeing something along the lines of centrifugal/centripetal in a minute. :-)

2 second for a loop in a script, nevermind ... quite impossible goodnight.gif

I always enjoyed the road runner effect after running off the side of a roof. banghead.gif