Sign in to follow this  
ColonelSandersLite

My replacement packs

Ok, instead of bumping every single replacement pack thread I have made, I'm just going to post a single bug notice.

This bug only affects multiplayer, and does not have any effect on those of you who are single player only type guys.

All my replacement packs are effected by an arma bug.

1.05 and *maybe* 1.06, but not 1.07 have a bug which makes them error out in multiplayer.

This problem cannot be solved, as it is a bug in arma. This bug is fixed in either 1.06 or 1.07 (not sure which).

To work around this, play your multiplayer in 1.07. wink_o.gif

A friend and I were playing with three of your replacement packs last night on both 1.06 and 1.07 servers.  No errors during multiplayer, although both of us saw several vehicles with the desert vehicle replacement skins floating 10-20 feet up in the air.  It occurred on multiple servers, running various Evolution versions.  More details here: .Why is that HMMWV up in the sky??

any chance your work could be affecting this?  Haven't tried removing them yet because, frankly, I don't see how a client-side graphics mod affects server synch

It's *possible* that this is caused by a replacement pack, I don't know for sure. Off the top of my head, it could be that the model in the replacement pack is placed differently, and the server controls it's position.

So supposing that the server calculates that for a hwmmv to be on the ground, it's position is x. On the modified version, the whole model is up shifted 2 feet higher (I don't know if this is actually possible). This theoretically could make the model 2 feet higher client side if the server wasn't useing the same model.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining that very well.

In short, try disabling the replacement packs if that fixes it, try readding them 1 by 1 to see which exactly is causing the problem. Try to narrow it down to which exact pbo.

Also, it *could* be another addon you're using messing it up. If removing the replacement packs doesn't help, remove the non standard PBOs in your base addon folder and see what happens. If that fixes it, then readd them until you identify the culprit.

Please do. I haven't gotten into multiplayer arma yet (and probably won't), so it would be most helpfull if you told me that I have a problem to fix.

Colonel Sanders,

Still intend on making a replacement pack for 3rd Infantry Division DCU uniforms?

Yes, I am. In fact I mentioned that in another thread just like 1/2 an hour ago. It's just that I haven't had the time lately. I'll get to it soon though. wink_o.gif

CSL:

during this afternoon/evening's multiplayer session, I confirmed that the CSL_McN_DESERT_VEHICLE_REPLACEMENTS mod was causing HMMWV's and Strikers to appear 10-15 feet up in the air. As soon as I disabled the mod, they were in the correct position. I will take some time to try and isolate the offending .pbo tomorrow.

I would start by just disabling everything but my desert us replacement pack and mcnool's desert US vehicles. If it still does it then, it's a problem with either my stuff of mcnool's stuff. I'll see about getting it fixed if that's the case.

If it doesn't, something else is interfering, and I would like to know what.

CONFIRMED: with the following commandline:

E:\Games\ArmA\beta\arma.exe -mod=beta;@CSL_McN_DESERT_VEHICLE_REPLACEMENTS -nosplash

when connecting to an Evolution 1.5 server, I see the HMMWV's hovering about 10 feet up when connecting to the server. Two other friends have said that they've seen the same thing on the same server.

A friend and I discussed this while we were trying to troubleshoot the issue and thought that, if the Evolution server wasn't configured to use the Desert Vehicle Replacements as well, that could account for the difference in the way the vehicles are displayed. Is that correct?

All right, consider this bug acknowledged.

2 quick questions:

Is this problem happening with all HMMWVs or a specific model. Same goes for the Strykers. Likely it's all varients.

Just to be sure, does this happen outside of evolution. It's likely it does.

It seems consistent across all HMMWV's but was NOT consistent with STRYKERs. The STRYKER ICV's hover, but the STRYKER-AT's and STRYKER-Mk19's do not.

I have not looked for the effect outside of Evolution. That's about all I'm playing at the moment.

Just to clarify that the server Spectre and I were playing on is ArmA V1.07.5157, running Evolution 1.5j. It's not my server so I can't comment on it's packet sizes & BW etc, but I can find out if you think any of those might make a difference.

Probably not. However, I would like someone to just pop into something that's not evolution, just to be sure it's not that.

I'll rig up a simple test mission if it's needed.

ok so this should be the right topic now.

@ColonelSandersLite

Last night I had an idea thinking about your replacement packs:

Imagine that it would be possible for the player to choose the different replacement packs ingame !! (like ACU, SF, OPFOR, DCU...and the different vehicles)

So when choosing a mission the player could decide what units he wants to replace! This would be even better as a mod like FFUR for OFP since it would be fully modular and selective.

Please think about this idea. Sadly I don't have the knowledge how to implement it but still I'm convinced it should be feasible.

What do you mean?

PS. Oh and BTW, yes I fould the replacement pack for CMD ACU units on you site, great!

While the idea is nifty, I should think that it's impossible. At least via conventional means.

The problem with that is the fact that the game loads the models when the game loads. At least that's the way it works with ofp, I'm not sure about arma, but haven't seen any data sugesting otherwise.

But as it stands now, the method I've been using is pretty modular in that you can pick and choose which guys you want, at least to a degree. The only drawback is that it requires a game restart when you want to change which models are in use.

Thanks for the additional info, Platty....all the info you provided is great stuff for assisting CSL with the troubleshooting. thumbs-up.gif

I forgot to add that in Evolution, the Repair, Refuel & Ammo trucks are un-affected. Maybe that's something to do with them (presumably) having a setpos script run on them to allow servicing within their proximity?

Thanks for the offer of a test mission, CSL. Presumably this would have to be run on a dedi server though? Perhaps the much talked-about setpos fix for MP in 1.08 will fix this problem for us though? We should know later today yay.gif

In all likelyhood, assuming that it isn't an evolution problem which It probably isn't, the test mission I propose would be usable with just 2 people in theory. The guy that hosts the mission should run bis defaults and the guy that joins should see all the bugs with the desert replacement packs.

I'm not ready to completely rule out the possiblity that it's a problem with evolution. The behaviour you're talking about say's it's not likely though.

Also, if that test says it's still broken, both people running the replacement pack at the same time would provide some insight into the exact nature of the bug as well.

Let us know when you have the test mission ready.

My initial testing with Evolution 1.5a under 1.08 has shown the bug. I joined a couple of public servers and the floating Humvee effect was still seen, same as reported before. There goes my theory of the setpos fix sorting it out sad_o.gif