Sign in to follow this  
jolulure

Just a quick Q

Hi biggrin_o.gif

I am just planning on getting a new PC for this game. I was thinking on a 2Gb pc with a 7800GT.

How will i be able to run the game? maybe at max whistle.gif ?

thanks!

What cpu? What fps are you willing to play at? What kind of missions are you wanting to play?

This question can't be answered with a yes or no.

Search around for hardware related threads instead.

It wont run at max. For that you would probably need an 8800.

Like above poster said, it depends on your cpu and what missions you want to play. As far as I know, ArmA doesn't support dual/quad core, so keep that in mind.

A 7800GT will be able to run ArmA, but not at max as you want it. Unless all you're going to do is stand still in an empty area. biggrin_o.gif

I'm on a E6600 @ 3.2ghz with 2gb ram and a 8800GTX stock clocks. I can run the game with everything except AA on "very high" at 2500 view distance. However, when I get on a server that runs missions that can be cpu intensive, I have to lower most of my settings down to "high".

Alot of the video options in this game can be tweaked/optimized so I don't think you'll have a problem finding the right balance between quality and performance. wink_o.gif

Don't buy old 7 cards. It's a waste of money. You'll get a old computer when you buy it. It doesn't support dx 10.

well, it is a laptop with a 8600GT wich would be de equivalent of desktop 7800Gt.

If this game doesnt support Duo/Quad, I wont be able to run it with a Santa Rosa based chip?

well, it is a laptop with a 8600GT wich would be de equivalent of desktop 7800Gt.

If this game doesnt support Duo/Quad, I wont be able to run it with a Santa Rosa based chip?

You will. It does support it, it just doesn't make use of multiple cores. You will still get some performance boost since current graphics drivers are multi-threaded.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Like Maddmatt said, it does support it in a sense that it can run on duo and quad cores, it just doesn't utilize the other core/cores the way it should.

when I get on a server that runs missions that can be cpu intensive, I have to lower most of my settings down to "high".

Hmm, AFAIK missions that run on servers are server side, your CPU is basicly doing nothing - the server is running the script not you.

when I get on a server that runs missions that can be cpu intensive, I have to lower most of my settings down to "high".

Hmm, AFAIK missions that run on servers are server side, your CPU is basicly doing nothing - the server is running the script not you.

Right, so a mission with 500 units running around Paraiso, by your logic, wont lag for people in MP? Incorrect. It'll lag like a bastard. If the server can't cope, and you, by some form of a miracle can cope, you'll still get lag because the server's processor lag will translate as connection lag.

I guess I should learn how to clarify my posts better. biggrin_o.gif

By CPU I meant ones computer in general, including their GPU as well.

Anyway, my point is, as I stated earlier, buy what you can.  Pretty much any computer, or laptop in the OP's case, that you buy from a ratailer should be able to play this game.  How well it will be able to play it is subjective and has been mentioned above.

I remember reading that OFP could never be practically run on its max settings. If thats true I can imagine that the same could be said of ArmA. The 7800GT should be able to play ArmA with good settings and performance.

I have an AMD 3800+ system with 1gb RAM and a Gainward 7800GT factory overclocked with 512mb ram.... At medium/high settings my fps averages about 20, at medium/low it averages about 26... Im not really staisfied with that but meh... Havent really got the choice until I sell this system n get a better one

I run one 7800GTX with 3000 view, the rest at high or very high (apart from post processing). Res is one below 1280x1024 (11??x??? ? something) at 75Hz. No lag anywhere apart from when you get very close to bushes etc.

Settings from my mind:

Shadows: High

AA: High

AF: Highest

Blood: Highest

Post Processing: Low

Terrain: High

Models: High

Textures: High

The lead programmer guy said the game works best on a 7950, so a 7800GT is pretty close to that mark.

If you are going to play with one 7950GT just make sure you have a pretty good CPU. The Intel Core Due 6600 seem to perform well with Arma.

I would like to upagrade my PC but at this point I would have to invest in a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM :/ I have reached a brick wall with my current 939 chipset.

I have a PC with:

AMD 4000+ 64bit Athlon (single core)

2GB DDR RAM

2x 7950 GT 512mb in SLI

As many have already discussed in the past, SLI wont get you a huge boost in Arma FPS as it will in other games, but it does really help to smooth it out. SLI also allows you to turn on more of the graphic settings without impacting your performance. I get maybe -4 FPS difference from highest AA compared to no AA setting, and about -2 FPS on max AF compared to no AF. Without SLI these settings have more of an impact on your FPS. but the FPS is more constant than before.

Open Desert - 40-60 FPS

Avg Rural Grassy/Wooded area - 30-40 FPS

Heavy Woods/ Urban City - 25-35 FPS

This acceptable to me, but I was expacting more from SLI. My CPU is the main bottleneck in my system right now.

I have a system very similar to yours, if slightly smaller.

a 3800 single core Athlon

2 X 7800 GLH 512 MB

2 GB RAM

I concur with your observations and get about the same results.

Do you really think your CPU is slowing you down?

My CPU is smaller than yours.

I also run the game on some other CPU's; Athlon XP 2100, Athlon XP 2200, Athlon XP 2400+, Intel Celeron 2800, and Intel Core Duo 6600.

When you play ARMA, what percentage of your CPU usage us the game operating at.  (Press CTRL-Alt-Del and leave the performance graph running in the background while you play).

On the stock mission Convoy Ambush, my 3800 Athlon is only using around 60% of the processor.

While on my Athlon XP 2400+ it's right up at a steady 99%-100%.

The lead programmer guy said the game works best on a 7950, so a 7800GT is pretty close to that mark.

oh really? I didnt see that quote. I'm glad I bought one then! yay.gif  (eVGA)

could you perhaps direct me to that quote? thx

Easier said than done.

His name is "Marek".

They lump all threads with similar topics together into one here.

Which renders the search engine useless.

thanks for all your support.

Finally, im getting a laptop 8600M GT (hopefully this week yay.gif ) is there any compatibility issues with ArmA? cos ive heard problems with the 8800GTX. Thanks