Sign in to follow this  
Lepardi

New rig for ArmA

I will be buying a new gaming rig with ArmA in mind, this summer. I'll get an E6700 processor, 2gig 1066mhz ram, and two T166 320gb HDD's. I'll probably buy Vista Ultimate, because of it's readyboost feature that I think will really help in ArmA, because it eases the job of HDD hugely.

I still don't know which GFX card, I was thinking of 8800GTS 640mb, but I've heard ppl need to play with lowest settings with it.. sad_o.gif

Will 8800GTX do the job (fog bug fixed?), will that rig do the job, of running ArmA at it's glory?

Is it better to install ArmA to the windows HDD, and put the pagefile to the other, or vice versa?

I'll probably buy Vista Ultimate, because of it's readyboost feature that I think will really help in ArmA, because it eases the job of HDD hugely.

McWrong. I had 4GB of ReadyBoost "RAM" running on my machine until recently. No noticeable difference. You should read up a bit on ReadyBoost - it's not really that much a help at all, only for processing a crapload of very very small files (we're talking like 16kb here). Its greatest effect is seen on those with ~512MB of RAM. People like you and me don't need it.

And yes, the 8800GTX does the job for me - I can run the game fully maxed, but I'm one of the few that can (and by running the game, I mean 25-30 FPS normally, dropping to ~20 in a dense forest, so not really that great).  biggrin_o.gif Dunno about the Ultra though.

Well at the moment based on the latest betas I cannot anymore recomend you anything. Different hardware combos have different troubles with the game.

Perhaps you should look more into future and not base your decision on ArmA alone.

I really need a new rig, can't go any further than this summer. Do 8800 users still have the fog bug, that I read about in this forum sometime earlier?

So far:

-E6700

-2x 1gb 1066mhz

-Evga 680i A1

-Ultimate + readyboost (with a fast usb flash)

-8800GTX, maybe Inno3d or palit

-2x T166 320gb 16mb

I really want to squeeze all the juice out of ArmA. I've been too much without ArmA, now it's the time!

That rig reaches pretty much the tops of my budget. Should I change anything or give it a go? I hope 8800 wouldn't let me down with it's drivers. Read too much bad news about poor performance on 8800 sad_o.gif

No fog with 8800, but you need to manually edit the profile file in order to get it working ok. It seems that 7900 series has a new set of graphics bugs after the 8800 gets fixes. Without manual alterations you have major graphics and lod bugs. But 7900 series is yestertoday's news anyway. Go for a directX10 card.

Read too much bad news about poor performance on 8800  sad_o.gif

Concerning ArmA, sure you will. Every man and has dog has at least 1 problem with ArmA. Of course, you must consider the outside possibility that you could even dare to play other games besides ArmA.

Can't speak for all 8800 owners, but I'll say that out of all 16 games currently installed on my computer, ArmA is the only one I'm having problems with. Everyone else is G-O-L-D, gold.

With the latest beta patch, my 8800GTS 640mb works great. I play 1650x1080 resolution, textures on high, objects on very high, AF+shadows very high, shaders on normal, PP on low (can go higher but I don't like it), and AA on low. Looks awesome.

Quote[/b] ]'ll say that out of all 16 games currently installed on my computer, ArmA is the only one I'm having problems with.

Well somebody show a system that ArmA does not have some problems with tounge2.gif

It is promising, but yet extremely annoying at times and they seem to not get it fixed. At least for now...

EDIT: ... and still playing ArmA.

If you are set on buying an Intel processor wait until July 22!! Intel is dropping prices on Quad Core processors. You will be able to purchase the QUAD CORE 6600 for under $300!!! Now thats a great deal!!

Check it out:

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/story93215.html

Intel’s Price Reduction on July 22

May 14, 2007 @ 21:21

While AMD AM2+ processors are due out in Q3, Intel announced another plan on price reduction just 3 months after the previous drop on April 22. With a remarkable cut at 50%, AMD is facing another harsh battle with Intel. As reported before, Intel has had hinted a price drop in Q3, expecting a second price drop someday in August and September.

However, the exact date turns out surprisingly on July 22 as the first hand information we have received. Undoubtedly, the move give certain impact on the sales of AMD processors. Not until the release of next-generation AM2+ processors, it’s hard for AMD to get profit from their existing products.

In the most updated plan, Intel Quad-Core Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4GHz/4MB L2 x2/1066MHzFSB) will be further cut to $266, a second drop within 4 months since its release on March with 68.7% accumulated price drop. For the original price segment of Core 2 Quad Q6600, now it will be replaced by a new model Quad Q6700 (2.66GHz/4MB L2 x2/1066MHzFSB), pricing at $530.

For the mainstream desktop processors, while Core 2 Duo E6000 family has no price update information at this moment, its relatives, Core 2 Duo 6050 family which features 1333MHz FSB releasing on July 22, has got a very impressive price advantage.

As this has nothing to do with troubleshooting I'm closing.

For discussions like this use the PC Discussion Thread.