Sign in to follow this  
Charlie_McSheenie

Can someone help me with my Business coursework

I have to do a forecast trading profit loss account for my coursework (which you'd know if you were paying attention biggrin.gif ) and i've gone and lost my notes from mr Baptie. I know pretty much everything about them its i can't remember all the stuff that comes after Sales/Turnover:

Sales/Turnover

?

?

?

?

Gross Profit

Less expenses

etc...

since its a forecast TLA i don't think i need to be that specific with them. Its for a petting zoo/walking track/camping site/sports pitch farm enterprise thing, and i'm not actually selling a physical product biggrin.gif

anyone help? please

I spent the last 3 years doing stuff like profit and loss accounts, balance sheets etc and I wasn't even on a business course! sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Feb. 12 2002,13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I spent the last 3 years doing stuff like profit and loss accounts, balance sheets etc and I wasn't even on a business course! sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

They truly do suck, everything on my coursework has been pretty easy and simple and now i have to do a forecast PLA thing, dammit. I have to mess around with percentages and everything as well (like in december you'd have 100% profit or 20 customers, then in august you'd have 20% profit... its gonna take ages)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Feb. 12 2002,13:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What course u doing?<span id='postcolor'>

AS level business (the course you do before the A-level)

it truly does suck sad.gif

Ah yes, they just started AS level when I started my A-level. I had a few mates doing AS level Maths which consisted of Pure Maths 1 and 2 only (and only ran for 1 year), whereas the full A-level Maths included two more modules (and ran for 2 years).

Now they're making you do both? Good luck biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ Feb. 12 2002,13:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah yes, they just started AS level when I started my A-level. I had a few mates doing AS level Maths which consisted of Pure Maths 1 and 2 only (and only ran for 1 year), whereas the full A-level Maths included two more modules (and ran for 2 years).

Now they're making you do both? Good luck biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

why thank you for the big input of confidence you've just given me confused.gif

Ah, it shouldn't be too hard, I made through A level Maths, Physics and Design Tech. The trick is to choose one relaxing subject (Design Tech). All we did is hammer a few nails and watch the cricket biggrin.gif

I dont want to teach you anything or so but in accounting you gotta watch out from the beginning and it doesnt realy make the impression you are getting all of it wink.gif

That thing is called P/L statement (or do you mean Income statement?) and not account, an account is something totaly different.

The P/L statement doesnot follow a premade path, it all considers what you want a the end. Do you want EBITda do you want to continue and get the Cash-flow or the Free-cashflow. If you are doing a forecast then you probably look for Uses and sources of funds, right? I dont realy know what you need but I can give it you corresponding to the international system of accounts (for the the tourism & lodging industry)

INCOME STATEMENT

Revenues

+Sales

---------------------

Total Revenues

Expenses

-Variable costs: Cost of sales (which you probably dont need)

-Fixed costs: Salaries, wages, (your main account here)

-(rents and stuff, electricity, water for the meadow, ....)

--------------------

EBITda (earnings before depreciation & amortisation)

- Depreciation

(this account is important for you too, chose around 10 % I´d say, and if the teacher sais it is too much you say: I know but I am creating a Hidden Reserve here! Some funds I might need one day!" )

--------------------

EBIT  (Earnings before Interest & taxes)

- Interest expense

--------------------

PBT Profit before Tax

-Income taxes

--------------------

PAT Profit after tax

It all depends where you want to get! Anyway what I wanted to say (and I know I gonna screw my reputation here, cause I am playing dady now) is that you should take that fucking serious. When you are 40 and you got a brilliant business idea you will get no money from the bank if you dont know sophisticated accounting, and on the other hand you can screw anyone in any business meeting who has no clue of accounting!

biggrin.gif

Why thank you albert for complicating this even furthur. Not only do you now have me fearing the day i actually can be arsed to do the PLA, but you've made me realise what a dumbass i am (all this EBIT stuff) sad.gif i also now realise i've forgot totally how to do depreciation even though we spent like a month on it at GCSE business

biggrin.gif don't feel guilty tho

Intruder - i have a very easy, laid back subject - media studies. Not only do we learn fuck but all we have to do is watch films and analyse them (in other words watch them then write down what happens). We're half way through the matrix now biggrin.gif

Hey, Ruskie, sorry for this "complicating stuff once again" I realy didnt want to make the impression of "look how much I know of accounting". I modified my post and wrote a little bit about depreciation.

The Site that the other person gave you is for "public companies only", so if you got any shareholders it is the right path to follow.

Deciation nowadays is calculated the easy way = simply take out 10% per operating year(or whatever is given) of the initial construction price of your building. If the teacher tells you that you are making it yourself too easy, then tell him that how it was done before is no longer applied. But I am sure he does it this way as well.

biggrin.gif

If you got another question let me know, I CAN give logical answers now and then (even if I failed this time) confused.gif

Bleh I dropped A level Business about 4 or 5 weeks after starting smile.gif Reminded me of how much I hated GCSE Business Studies. Though I did get a B, but that was a huuuuuge fluke smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Feb. 12 2002,16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, Ruskie, sorry for this "complicating stuff once again" I realy didnt want to make the impression of "look how much I know of accounting". I modified my post and wrote a little bit about depreciation.

The Site that the other person gave you is for "public companies only", so if you got any shareholders it is the right path to follow.

Deciation nowadays is calculated the easy way = simply take out 10% per operating year(or whatever is given) of the initial construction price of your building. If the teacher tells you that you are making it yourself too easy, then tell him that how it was done before is no longer applied. But I am sure he does it this way as well.

biggrin.gif

If you got another question let me know, I CAN give logical answers now and then (even if I failed this time) confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't worry biggrin.gif your post was inciteful and informative and has shown me what i can expect of the future

(reads rest of alberts post)

*breaks down in tears and flees to the woods*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ Feb. 12 2002,17:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bleh I dropped A level Business about 4 or 5 weeks after starting smile.gif Reminded me of how much I hated GCSE Business Studies. Though I did get a B, but that was a huuuuuge fluke smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i got a B as well, which was a bit shitty since my teacher was telling me i'd be getting A*'s, i also got an A* on my mock exam as well biggrin.gif

damm sodding B