Sign in to follow this  
jgdj18

Sniper Scope Tips

No, like this one http://www.kronzky.info/misc/dragunov.pdf

Yes the chevrons will correspond to 1100, 1200, and 1300 when the sight angle knob scale is set to 10 (ie 1000 meters) but when it's set to another number they will not of course - they will graduate from the zeroed number (like I said) I think. So it will be - (for 500 m zero) 600, 700 and 800 for the second third and fourth chevrons respectively.

Its not 250m graduations as i said originally - looks like 100m instead.

No, like this one http://www.kronzky.info/misc/dragunov.pdf

Yes the chevrons will correspond to 1100, 1200, and 1300 when the sight angle knob scale is set to 10 (ie 1000 meters) but when it's set to another number they will not of course - they will graduate from the zeroed number (like I said) I think. So it will be - (for 500 m zero) 600, 700 and 800 for the second third and fourth chevrons respectively.

Its not 250m graduations as i said originally - looks like 100m instead.

I was wondering how those charts for the windage and elevation of the scope factored into the scope. It seemed a little strange to have the scope zeroed for 1000m all the time, and yet have a chart for elevation for ranges all the way down to 100m.

Quote[/b] ]I still prefer the M24. I have no problem plucking guys off from 1-1.5km in game.

How can you use the M24 at that range? At >1000m you need to holdover the scope so much the target isn't even in the view anymore!

So basically zooming in the weapon won't change the view direction and you can set a custom static view direction for a weapon. Whoopdeedo, now the M4SPR won't change zero's when you zoom it. That's about it. It doesn't even make proper M203 sights possible, unless the camera/barrel angle can change and therefore doesn't allow custom sights.

I'm really hoping the view definition points can be moved in game though. That would be everything we hoped for.

Targets can be hit with the M24 at those ranges when firing from a position that is elevated above the target.

I think the modeling is pretty good on bullet ballistics in ArmA. The truth is there really is a lot of guess work in longer range shooting. I've done plenty of it and it's mostly feel more than anything else. Case and point is my CZ527 with a 4x-12x scope, sure, it has a range finder built in as part of the focus. Know how it goes? 10m-300m then infinity. Beyond 50m it is pretty useless as at that point anything other than perfect vision introduces inaccuracy in the labeling. To range I just guess based on how big the target is (or I think it is). The trick to shooting sniper rifles in game is the same as in real life, pick a zoom level and never leave it. Then learn how the gun shoots at different ranges with that zoom. On a related note, the SVD makes it a lot easier with it's ranging system but I still prefer the M24. I have no problem plucking guys off from 1-1.5km in game. Standing still that is though, taking shots at guys running around at that range is a waste of ammo.

The bullet drop over distance is linear and not parabolic (Basically, the bullet doesn't ever slow down from friction). Therefore it is not realistic in the strictest definition, but for the purposes of the game, it's realistic enough to add the challenge but not be overly demanding.

As far as your statement about long range shooting being guess work... we'll you're just wrong. Unless you mean 800+ meters. And then it is only due to the MOA accuracy of the rifles. First shot headshots can be reliably reproduced inside 800m.

I know that the SVD in OFP had a fixed scale and you need to adjust your weapon elevation manually based on that scale. Zooming the scope on the M24 adjusted the elevation of the rifle in accordance to the zoom set. In both cases, the scope sights allow you to judge the distance to your target by comparing the scale to a human figure.

Doing so worked well, allowing accurate range estimation and sight adjustment, making sniping a skill that could be learned in OFP. In ArmA it is something that relies on guesswork, that is what I was referring to.

I LOVED the sniper system in OFP... I have yet to figure out ArmA's... Is it guess work and practice to compensate for bullet drop/range?

I would love to have OFP's sniper system back in place. yay.gif

Wtf is "OFP"s sniper system? What is ArmA's sniper system? How are they different? Are you just taking about the SVD's scope markings?

I LOVED the sniper system in OFP... I have yet to figure out ArmA's... Is it guess work and practice to compensate for bullet drop/range?

I would love to have OFP's sniper system back in place. yay.gif

Armoured sheep, one of the BIS team, anwered your question not 5 posts above you.