Sign in to follow this  
Catch22

Change FOV?

Is there a way to change the field of view for Arma?

It's a little to zoomed in for me when using trackIR.

Let me start by saying that I LOVE the support from NaturalPoint, not only do they patrol their own forums almost constantly, but they patrol OTHERS too! Great to see them standing by the product when others might let a good idea go to waste with rude support staff, ignored problems/questions/complaints, etc.

Anyway, I have a related issue because I never sit still enough or consistently enough to use the Z-axis properly (It's always zooming all over the place, and rather than mess with smoothing/sensitivity/chair placement/trackIR placement I Just disabled that axis in the profiler) ... I think the FOV is too WIDE by default. With trackIR I find myself holding the right mouse button almost constantly because I kind of get seasick from the way it ends up looking. of course, the zoom position is not wide enOUGH, but switching back and forth works pretty much ok...

I Just had a thought, however. If I remember correctly, all the trackIR axes are simply bound to commands in ArmA, so the Zoom can be controlled by any 1-dimensional analog control. I'm not at my computer so I can't verify this. This means a joystick slider could be bound to the Zoom control, and your level of zoom could be adjusted with that (much the way I always did it in Lock-On since it didn't support more than 2DoF prior to flaming cliffs)

Anyone tried this? I'll try and hop on later if i get a chance to test it out; but it would seem to work for "tightening up" the FoV. If you want to widen it, the advice already given is the only thing I could think of. If you don't use z-axis, then I dunno what to tell you if you still think it's too narrow an FOV smile_o.gif

Have you tried sitting forward, then recentering the view, as this will move your viewpoint pack, when you resume your normal position.

First of all, diddo what dwinger said.

Secondly, I don't think I was being clear because I don't actually enable trackIR zoom. I'm constantly leaning forward and back so that wouldn't work out for me.

What I meant to say is the normal field of view (not zoomed at all) seems not zoomed out enough. It seems more apparent with TrackIR because of all the head movement. With no peripheral vision it's like fighting with blinders on.

just my $.02.

i had a problem when i unbinded my zoom from track ir wehre the view would be slightly zoomed after unbinding it.

i played hell getting it back to where it was supposed to be without binding zoom to the z axis.

the steps that worked for me was so exit game, go to opening flyby, unbind zoom from trackir then exit the game, then start back up and play as normal.

it was the only way i could unbind zoom from z axis wihtout having a slightly zoomed view.

hope this helps.

Have you tried sitting forward, then recentering the view, as this will move your viewpoint pack, when you resume your normal position.

Secondly, I don't think I was being clear because I don't actually enable trackIR zoom. I'm constantly leaning forward and back so that wouldn't work out for me.

What I meant to say is the normal field of view (not zoomed at all) seems not zoomed out enough. It seems more apparent with TrackIR because of all the head movement. With no peripheral vision it's like fighting with blinders on.

Ahh, ok. I guess i just misread it a bit.......

Hey man, I have the same issuse with the game too. Unfortunetely, you will have to live with it / use a mod / or mod it yourself.

It's pretty simple, but time consuming, because when you go into ironsight mode, each weapon class has its own FOV setting. If you want to get rid of the initial zoom on all weapons, make the min/max fov in your weapons.pbo to default like 95 or whatever you wish.

But let me say, if your playing by yourself or online with buddies, download ThePredator's "Authentic sound & weapon Mod". Along with the awesome sounds, he makes many other adjustments. One being changing the FOV on almost all weapons (at4 is still zoomed in and I'm assuming the rpg is the same way, I think he just hasn't got to that yet). So, now if you are in ironsight mode, it will be like you are in normal mode with very little zoom (almost completely unnoticeable). Now, you can stay in ironsight mode and not be completely disoriented. Trust me, download it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much better this is with TrackIR and even without.

Here's the link.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=60076

*PLUG for him - If you have any knowledge of configs and modding ofp/arma and are interested in what you see, PLEASE contact him and work with him. He's on a great track (I can't go back to "vanilla ArmA"), but right now hes doing this all solo, so please help if you can.