Sign in to follow this  
GotheriK

Problem with Marker Script

I'm trying to get a spawnpoint to follow a vehiclein ArmA. So far I've made a script to get the spawnpoint marker to follow the vehicle:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#loop

"Respawn_west" setMarkerPos getPos ambu

~1

goto "loop"

And in the vehicle's init field I've put this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[] exec "rspn.SQS"

But every time I try to run the game, I get the error:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">|#|# Error invalid number in expression

Help please? banghead.gif

"Respawn_west" setMarkerPos getPos "ambu"

ambu is a variable name, doesn't need "quotation marks"

edit: also, since you script is hard-coded to use ambu, the ambu in the [ambu] exec.... line is redundant.

I've tried it with and without quotations.

What should I put in the Activation field in place of [ambu]? If I remove it, I get an error.

Do you have a unit named ambu, and a marker named Respawn_west?

If you don't need to send any arguments ito the script, use an empty array.

eg:

[] exec "myScript.sqs"

Quote[/b] ]Do you have a unit named ambu, and a marker named Respawn_west?

icon_rolleyes.gif You're kidding, right?

No, he's not kidding. In case you have a unit named ambu, and a marker named Respawn_west:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#loop

"Respawn_west" setMarkerPos getPos ambu

~1

goto "loop"

To call it:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">[] exec "rspn.sqs"

Now this should be understandable to ya. wink_o.gif

I've created a mission with the marker, ambu, using the fixed script and I get no error. There are very few possibilities for error, so we've got to eliminate the obvious mistakes first.

Karantan, no need to be snotty.

fasad, I understand we need to eliminate the obvious mistakes, but I can assure you that I haven't forgotten to name the vehicles and markers.

GotheriK, no need to have such an attitude towards the people which trying to help you, and which actually have solved your problem.

GotheriK, no need to have such an attitude towards the people which trying to help you, and which actually have solved your problem.

I don't have an attitude with anyone, I'm just asking for productive help, not people like yourself coming in to cause trouble.

Anyway fasad, I'm not sure what the problem is then, it still doesn't work for me.

Anybody else have an idea?

Try reducing all unknown factors. Test the absolute minimum number of possible causes, by either copying your mission to another name, then removing everything unrelated to the script, or by making a new test mission with only the require unit, marker and script.

I cannot think of any possible explanation other than the error being caused by a mistake in another script or code block.

Would the fact that this is ArmA make a difference?

... I'm just asking for productive help, not people like yourself coming in to cause trouble.

And you got it, and if you'd had any clue what you want or need the first fasad's post should quite sufice. And if you just copy & paste my codes, all would be ended by now. But you're rather a smart ass instead, first with fasad, and now with me.

But anyway, don't worry, you won't have anymore troubles with me in the future; you're the last person I would help here.

EDIT: and go to the right board for help.

... I'm just asking for productive help, not people like yourself coming in to cause trouble.

And you got it, and if you'd had any clue what you want or need the first fasad's post should quite sufice. And if you just copy & paste my codes, all would be ended by now. But you're rather a smart ass instead, first with fasad, and now with me.

But anyway, don't worry, you won't have anymore troubles with me in the future; you're the last person I would help here.

EDIT: and go to the right board for help.

The codes that you posted are the exact same ones I have now! Every single letter, space, and punctuation mark is identical to what you posted. All you did was post exactly what I already had.

Now, according to the "experts" OFP editing is supposedly "identical" to ArmA, and every time I have a question over there, I get referred to this board.

The codes that you posted are the exact same ones I have now! Every single letter, space, and punctuation mark is identical to what you posted. All you did was post exactly what I already had.

Not quite, but no matter ...

Quote[/b] ]Now, according to the "experts" OFP editing is supposedly "identical" to ArmA...

Apparently not, but no matter ...

Quote[/b] ]...and every time I have a question over there, I get referred to this board.

The only thing I'll all add to finish it is that those codes working as they should in OFP.

Quote[/b] ]The codes that you posted are the exact same ones I have now! Every single letter, space, and punctuation mark is identical to what you posted. All you did was post exactly what I already had.

Nah. Pay attention to the syntax of the commands:

string setMarkerPos position

getPos object

String is a variable that stores a series of characters and is defined by quotation marks as:

str = "this is a bunch of letters in a variable named str";

Name of an object is a variable name, not a string.

What you have:

"markername" setMarkerPos getPos "objectname"

What you should have:

"markername" setMarkerPos getPos objectname

And we don't know you. For all we know, you might have absolutely no idea what you are doing so there's no need to get all defensive if somebody asks or suggests something that you think is obvious.

edit - Found the problem, it was the encoding on the script file, I was using Unicode as opposed to ANSI