Sign in to follow this  
frattonstation

Where to Put Scripts

Everytime I save a script into my Missions folder, when I go into a SP game I get the message "cannot find xxx.sqs".

Am i putting them in the right place?

My Documents/Other Profiles//my profile folder/Missions/individual Mission folder  ??

Yes, put them inside the individual mission folder. You have to have saved the mission with a name for this folder to be created.

example:

<myDocuments>\ArmA Other Profiles\fasad\missions\testMission.Intro\testScript.sqs

can be executed by :

[] exec "testScript.sqs"

Don't save the files with a .txt extension.

There's another place you can put them that will allow any mission you make in the editor to have access to it, which is here:

My Documents\Other Profiles\my profile folder\Scripts

Two things, you'll need to manually create that folder. And, when you come to compile the mission into a PBO, you'll still need to copy across the scripts into their mission folders.

But as a sandbox-type fix so you don't need to save a mission just to use a script it's a good shortcut smile_o.gif

call me dim, I know its a basic error, but how do I save them without the .txt extension? This seems to be the where I am going wrong. My scripts keep getting saved as ".sqs.txt"

call me dim, I know its a basic error, but how do I save them without the .txt extension? This seems to be the where I am going wrong. My scripts keep getting saved as ".sqs.txt"

You can just rename them. Easiest way would be to click on them, then click on them again (not a double click, but 2 spaced out clicks) or right-click and choose "rename". Then you can take off the .txt and change it to .sqs.

But the document type is still shown as a "Text document". Is this right? Shouldn't it be "SQS File"?

If your filename is of the pattern *.sqs then it's fine. Your system won't know what the heck an SQS file is unless there's an application that specifically defines it.

And of course, an SQS file is a text document smile_o.gif

wot application do i need then for sqs to be recognised by my system?

Just associate it with notepad, so that when you double-click it it will open in notepad. When someone releases an ArmA-friendly editor then you can associate it with that instead.

thats what I have done but none of the scripts work.

for example:

mandrop.sqs

(Save As, (Save As Type= Text document))

Does the Encoding drop down box make any difference? choice of ANSI, Unicode, Unicode Big Endian, UTF-8)

Sorry for trying your patience !!

thats what I have done but none of the scripts work.

for example:

mandrop.sqs

(Save As, (Save As Type= Text document))

Does the Encoding drop down box make any difference? choice of ANSI, Unicode, Unicode Big Endian, UTF-8)

Sorry for trying your patience !!

Nope, it's just a text file, identical to .txt files but with a different extension. When you double-click a *.sqs file is it opening up in Notepad and in a code format that you can read? And is it in the right place? What is the exact nature of the error?

I get this error message whenever I try to use scripts in waypoints, triggers or units.

"Scripts XXXX.sqs not found"

I click OK,

then the mission carries on as normal. With the required action not taking place.

I am saving the .sqs scripts into the relevant missions folder in my Profile.

What the hell is going wrong, I can't figure it out?huh.gif?

Probably something pretty simple though.

I get this error message whenever I try to use scripts in waypoints, triggers or units.

"Scripts XXXX.sqs not found"

I click OK,

then the mission carries on as normal. With the required action not taking place.

I am saving the .sqs scripts into the relevant missions folder in my Profile.

What the hell is going wrong, I can't figure it out?huh.gif?

Probably something pretty simple though.

Quick question for you: are you placing this .sqs script next to a file called "mission.sqs"? If there's no such file called that there then you're in the wrong directory.

OK, I'll post the result here as well as the return email for thread completion:

Quote[/b] ]I renamed the files from *.sqs.txt to *.sqs

You must lose the .txt for it to work, have you got your Windows explorer to show extensions?

It should work now smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif