Sign in to follow this  
fireship4

Your soldier's field of view

Can someone tell me the command to change your soldier's field of view in multiplayer/singleplayer and how to input it. I've been looking for it since Arma was released...

There is no command but if you just want to change your own FOV, go to your ArmA profile config and set the following files to what you like:

fovTop=0.750000;

fovLeft=1.000000;

This doesn't seem to be working for me - could you go into more detail? I added the lines you mentioned to C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\ArmA\Arma.cfg

This doesn't seem to be working for me - could you go into more detail? I added the lines you mentioned to C:\Documents and Settings\Me\My Documents\ArmA\Arma.cfg

You have to edit your own user profile, found in ArmA Other Profiles\Yourname\Yourname.ArmAProfile

Hmm actually it doesn't seem to work as advertised. I've tried setting both lines you mentioned to 1.80 and I still don't get a horizontal FoV of 180 deg. I know that the game can do it though because you can make gun optics use 180 degrees...

Any ideas?

FOV of 180°? wtf

Humans don`t have an FOV of 180°, not nearly.

Set the FOV to 180° should be seen as cheating.

Whats next, wallhacks? huh.gif

"The field of view (also field of vision) is the angular extent of the observable world that is seen at any given moment.

Different animals have different fields of view, depending on the placement of the eyes. Humans have an almost 180-degree forward-facing field of view, while some birds have a complete 360-degree field of view. In addition the vertical range of the field of view may vary."

wikipedia

Yeah, its almost 180, but cant say its as sharp on the edges as a TFT :P

actually the human field of view is at 180 degrees (almost) eye moments included, we do NOT have a full 180 degrees field of view at any moment.

Instead our eyes move in rapid movements to create a mind image of the surrounding.

Our eye's field of view is merely 30 degrees or so.

The FOV value is not bound to degrees, you just have to embiggen the horizontal value and bring the vertical one to match your monitor's ratio. I wouldn't see changing FOV as cheating because your vision will not be so good at long ranges, even if you zoom. You trade visibility for a larger FOV, a fair deal.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that any value over 1.0 might be seen as invalid. Try setting it to .95 and see if that makes a visible difference.

no it is valid as it is already possible to get 180 when you switch to weapon optics - achieved with a value of 1.85 in the weapon config.

In relation to the poster who said human field of view is actually nearer 30 an 180 is due to eye movements - I believe thus is untrue. Here is how to prove it:

look straight ahead

outstretch your hand behinf you and rotate it around your head until the first point where you notice it comes into view

you will find that it is about 90 degrees from the direction in which you are looking - making about 180 degrees.

The difference is that you only have high resolution right at the center - the outer regions are good at night vision and motion sensing. But this is compensated by the fact you can only look at one place on the screen at a time.

Actually, the effective peripheral view for most people is actually 160 degrees. But that's just quibbling. smile_o.gif

Ok, I tried the method above (including compensating the numbers for my monitors ratio) and it's still not having any effect. Its annoying that it works with the weapon optics view and not the normal view.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, I tried the method above (including compensating the numbers for my monitors ratio) and it's still not having any effect. Its annoying that it works with the weapon optics view and not the normal view.

Anyone have any ideas?

What are you having trouble with? Go to ArmA Other Profiles\Yourname\Yourname.ArmAProfile, find the commands and change them to something like below:

fovTop=1.500000;

fovLeft=2.000000;

For me it creates an annoyingly wide fish eye lens view that is very hard to miss.

hmm well I did exactly that, but using the values 1.88 and 1.41 I think. I'll have another look tomorrow if I can.

#EDIT# I think I've found out what I was doing wrong, looks like I may have been editing the wrong config. I'll see tomorrow, thanks.