Sign in to follow this  
vaaf_rup

debugging scripts

Hi I'm editing a mission which involves a script, which I'm debugging. Problem is: once I've previewed the mission, ArmA seems to lock all the files in the MPMissions/[missionname] folder (even non-ArmA files like TODO.txt). That means if I want to tweak anything, including my script, I have to shut down ArmA completely.

Is this a common thing and is there any way around it?

Ah ok - if you alt-tab out of ArmA it solves the problem. I was editing files over the network from another machine with ArmA running.

If you do a lot of script editing I found it very useful to run ArmA in windowed mode

Syntax would be something like this: <table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">C:\games\ArmA\ArmA.exe -nosplash -window -x=1600 -y=1200 Alt-tabbing a bit too much may crash the game after a while, and it's much easier to just move your cursor out of the ArmA window to your text editor, and then move back again.

Thanks for that. And also thanks for BAS f - great tool for we newbies.

ABOUT ALT TAB.

The best way i noticed to do Alt Tab (about my tests) is:

- If you hosting a session for MP (no matter if no AI, or more human players). Move down, menus of ArmA, till you seeing the list of servers.

- Then, Alt Tab (no matter if your scripts files is opened in tools like "Notepad". I never used another one. As I never noticed 'strange issues' Alt Tabbing with Notepad (+ opened windows of Internet Explorer, + opened 'windows' of 'folders' via-MyPC (MyComputer?) or just directly + opened windows of 'Explorer.exe' ), i can Alt Tabbing in that way during 'hours'.

- When i modified something (or just checked something), then, again Alt Tabbing to ArmA... will get me to that Servers Screen, again choosing 'New', again choosing 'myMission', 'the green item' editable mission, changing something, or just only to click again where "Export to Multiplayer" to ensure my last changes was pbo'ed again.

- Then, now i can choose 'Preview', or just use the 'black item' of myMission where the list of the missions.

And again testing the mission with the recent changes.

This is just another method.

ABOUT 'LOCKED FILES'.

If you can see it in a folder... maybe you can 'copy' them... pasting in another folder, maybe if with another name.ext... and now you can try to read/write it.

That 'windowed' way to launch ArmA sounds so cool.

I only used the '-splash'.

Cheers.

Running windowed is the only smart way for editing.