Sign in to follow this  
ejanvi

Confirm fog problem with 8800 GTX

I had a GeForce 6800 and very low FPS. Upgraded everything to top stuff (Intel Duo and 8800 GTX).

Framerates are great.

But can't see through the fog. I thought from the discussions on the forum that the fog was at long distance (pity for the view, but no harm for the fight). In fact, the fog starts well within shooting distance, so it is a real problem. In photo below, one can see the fog settling roughly in the middle of the base (you will recognise the base from "Blood Sweat & Tears" mission):

[/img]http://perso.orange.fr/sailor/Picture3.gif[/img]

Beyond that distance, it is impossible to see anything, even with scopes. This other picture is from the same place, with the scope, and there is 1 soldier just left of the sight: invisible in the fog!

[/img]http://perso.orange.fr/sailor/Picture2.gif[/img]

Seems to be a lot of shimmering on the textures as well. Tried various settings of Anistropy, AntiAlisiasing, Game video options... Not much changes.

Damm....

I have a 2.5Ghz AMD Athlon Socket 754, and a Geforce 7900GS 256MB and I have exactly what you've shown above smile_o.gif

I have an 8800 GTS and, as expected, got the fog issue too.. View distance slider only went practically from about 500 to 1400 km (when adjusting it from 500 to 10,000), and there was an intense bright fog past that making it hard to see towards the end of the viewing area.

Now, when I changed HDR Precision in my ArmA.cfg to 16 bit, I noticed the fog get even WORSE. In fact, I couldn't aim at ANYTHING more than a couple hundred meters away.

When I set HDR Precision to 32 bit, however, my view distance slider became quite a bit more useful. I can now play with the distance set at around 1200m (before I had to put it around 700-800 to get decent performance), and in fact I can see that far away. The fog is still there, and it begins pretty close, making the farther-away objects difficult to spot in some light conditions, but they are still discernable.

I think part of this fog issue that we're getting is a result of sunlight being rendered off the distance fog, which seems like it's kind of hard on a GPU and causes sun glare whiteout on 8 and especially 16 bit HDR precision towards the edge of the view distance. I theorize that in 32 bit precision, the sun glare is more realistically mild after a few moments, and this makes it possible to make out objects through this fog (even though the fog still seems to come in way too close).

Can anybody else give these settings a try and see if you can confirm anything? I just went to a top of a mountain in the editor and tried various times of day, and previewed it to adjust view distance and play with settings, but I guess you can do whatever you want (mountaintops make it easier to test ;p)

ejanvi, please respect the forum rules regarding picture sizes.

closing use the other 'fog' thread.