Sign in to follow this  
Rejn

Say "sound" volume in vehicles and

Hi all, this is my first post, I've been searching these forums over 2 weeks now for various bits and pieces and they've been a great help.

My first question is about the volume and perhaps position of sound when using the following command: unit say "soundname"; in a waypoint for a unit which is in a moving vehicle.

The unit in question will use my custom made sounds all well and good and I can hear the sound in the vehicle while we are moving but it is so low and fades out within a second or two (WHEN and IF) the vehicle which he is driving is moving.

My first guess is that the sound plays in the area of the unit when the command is executed and does not move with the unit.

I do not wish to use sideradio but may have to in order to maintain lipsync and sound vicinity.

Is there anyway I can get the command: unit say "sound"; to work in a moving vehicle?

Thanks!

Question 2:

I wish to activate triggers via waypoints. Lets say I have a trigger named "trig1"

what code would I have to use in the waypoint to trigger said trigger? Thanks a mill for anyone that can help out.

Question 1:

In a single player mission, just add a second line to your speech script:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">playSound "soundName"

The playSound performs a voice over, and is not affected by distance or movement. The engine sound from the vehicle might still be a problem, but thats not your problem as far as I understand, right?

Question 2:

In the "On Activation" part of the waypoint you set a variable to true, like this...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">myVariable=true

Then you change the condition of the trigger (the default value is this) to:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">myVariable

The trigger will fire when myVariable becomes true. That happens when the waypoint is completed.

Remember that human players often skip Waypoints and take shortcuts when they play. Thus your trigger might never fire if you are relying on a human player to start the trigger. The AI, however, will always follow it's designated path and then the method will work. If it's a multiplayer mission, you must use the privateVariable command as well, but i will not go into that kind of detail here.

If you are new to editing I suggest that you visit www.ofpec.com. There's tons of help there, for all mission makers - beginners as well as experts.

EDIT: Spelling

Good Idea to question one! thanks biggrin_o.gif

Also thanks for answering question 2 for me... its been giving me a headache. smile_o.gif

Hi Rejn,

I thought I had another solution for you using a gamelogic that is setpos'd to the vehicles position as it moves about and the 'say' command.In this case it was with a music player.

It worked for OFP, but the same process dosnt work with Arma unfortunately .The problem is the vehicle noise, so you'd have to edit the volume using, say goldwave and double, even treble it so as to be heard over the engine noise.

It works for music quite well ( cars with stereos driving past, and the volume relative to the players pos,ect,ect)

..... unit say "musicname" .....

I'm having trouble myself with localised audio levels relative to distance from the source as I can hear guys miles away yapping quite loudly(in this case I'd have to lower their sound file)    

Not much help I'm afraid man.

hi there, thats ok i highly appreciate communication on similar problems that people are having as it helps me understand at what approaches other people are taking and also helps generate ideas for solutions smile_o.gif

Yeah being able to hear the vocals a fair distance away is kind of annoying. I wanted some but not all of my speeches to be heard on the same volume level as if you were to hear an enemy sidechatting.

I actually wondered if you could make your own sound and have it play as sidechat and thus hopefully have a smalle radius of louder volume.

@SouthSaturnDelta

I noticed (as example, flying in planes) you firing missiles to water, but far far far far way from your plane... The missils in water will make a 'sound'... even if the plane is far way from 500 meters and more... then... i think your 'music' has not the fault. Maybe is EAX fault... or directly... ArmA fault.

I suppose... that not all the audio-cards will make the same 'sound/music' effect under the same conditions inside ArmA.

Maybe this issue of music/sound 'hearing' close, when the sound/music is really, far way, it's fault of a non 100% accurate way to handle 'Surround' effects.

Not neccesarily by your audio-card. Test with different audio-Settings in ArmA. And then, if still appearing... try to experiment with the settings of your audio card. Specially in EAX, Surround %, Stereo, some Stereo-simulated, Pan % values... etc.

This audio-issue is not 100% fault of distance. Maybe also is fault of the way that ArmA is handling 'spatial' sounds (spacial?).

If you have some kind of surround 5.1 system or so... try to use the basic config: just a pair of speakers.

Just change the settings in Audio Card and in ArmA, just for only 2 speakers. No hardware accel, no EAX enabled, no 'special' stereo enable... just all plain, plain, plain... basic settings.

Then, if you still noticing that issue... probably is fault by the EAX simulation, or Quadraphonic simulation or a bad handling of Surround values of Gain-per-speaker... or ArmA is not simulating the audio-distances 100% perfect.

I'm not saying ArmA is the bad guy.

In this case... simply a suspect one wink_o.gif till we can fix the 'bug-issue'.