Sign in to follow this  
TheReddog

So what's with the recoil?

Just wanted to get some opinions on this, I know there is a thread about weapon handling but it is more about how the guns move and aim than this.

What I want to talk about is the bouncy recoil, more specifically what is up with the bouncy recoil on assault rifles and carbines and secondly why are they the only weapons in the game which recoil this way?

It seems weird to say the least, every other weapon from the pistols to the smg's, sniper rifles and MG's just have simple straight recoil, yet the AR's and carbines have this horrid bouncing recoil that doesn't feel good at all. It doesn't strike me as particularly realistic either, recoil shoves a weapon back into your shoulder, it doesn't recoil up, then down then back up again. It's almost as if BIS have coded in your soldier pulling down to try to compensate for the recoil and overdoing it then having to correct himself. In fact I am sure that's what it is because the gun recoils back and up then drags forward and down through your original point of aim and then raises back up to it, so you end up aiming right back where you begun.

The problem is it makes any sort of rapid fire nearly impossible except for very short range, and while yes I agree that in the original OFP rapid and accurate semi automatic fire was much too easy I think this as a counter is way overdoing it. What's worse is the AI just isn't impeded by it, so they will throw incredibly rapid and somewhat accurate fire onto your position from 100m away while your weapon bounces everywhere as if your arms are made of bungee cord causing shots to fly all over the place if you try the same thing.

I say rather than having this artificial return to point of aim let the player correct his aim after a shot. Cut the bounce out and leave the vertical recoil as is so the gun recoils and then stays where it finished and the player has to correct it. Maybe also add a bit of horizontal drag towards the direction it is ejecting its brass as well. That would make the assault rifles and carbines feel and shoot 100% better in my opinion without making them ridiculously easy to accurately rapidly fire.