Sign in to follow this  
SolidSnake-(SNK)

Is my Gfx card gone to heaven?..

Hi.

I bought a ATI radion 1650pro card a month ago to play ArmA, but i was a little dissapointed becos i only got like 10- 20 fps, so i tryed a little tool that was recomended in one of the posts on this forum, called ATITool.

I tryed the find max core option and it ended in a white screen and the computer froze. After that i cant get any game to work and everything is like there is no drivers installed

(I have installed them several times)

When i try ofp i get a message saying cannot create 3d device

error D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

Arma simply dont start at all

Have i Destroyed my gfx card?

Yes you have. Never try those automatic overclocking crap tools. Atitool for other uses like manual overclocking is ok, max core search is big no-no.

I tried that on my brand-new X1950 Pro about 10 days ago. The computer froze and I turned it off very fast. Luckily it survived.

Re-install DirectX from the ArmA DVD. Then run (Start -> Run) DXDiag and check out the video parts. This will help you decide if your card is fried or just ... I don't know what...

-Fenix out

thamn sad_o.gif i bougth just a x1650pro and waiting for it to arrive. So its no good in arma?

My advice would be to try the card in a friends pc. maybe its just a software error

Test you`re card with 3dmark.

If it can pass a few runs without errors, the card is fine.

I have an ATI sapphire x1650pro. Same 15-20 fps with all normal(post process low, antialias low, terrain detail low, shadows low, blood low, View distance 1200m) expecially in the forest. Tha card is overclocked with ati overdrive to 641Mhz VPU and 720Mhz graphic memory.

I have noticed that with antialias to normal i receive 10 FPS!!!

With task manager i have noticed that my cpu usage is used only 45-60% but i have a problem with the memory usage.

Task manager says that Arma.exe use 500-550 Mb (plus 320Mb of ram used by my 35 processes Total 870 Mb of ram used circa). But i see in task manager that the total memory used by the system is 1,6 Gb!!! (This means that windows is using the pagefile that is more slow). I don't know if this is normal

I think that te poor FPS is not only an ATI driver issue, but also a RAM problem.

Anyone has the same experience?

AMD ATHLON X2 4200+

Abit FATAL1TY AN9

1GB Tkmemory

Hitachi SATA II 250Gb Hard Drive

yes also the same thing that Ive got...

P4 3Ghz

1024DDR2

X1300 128mb

i've got an x1650 pro and i get about 10fps in cities and 20 in deserts. I recently tried going up in a chopper and when i flew over a city it dropped to about 7fps.

I've tried messing about with the settings, but it doesn't really make an awful lot of difference to fps, just makes the graphics look even worse.

well i have currently 1gb ram and 6800gt and v 1.05 i can play just fine without grass. 20+ fps in cities. terrain: very low, shadows high, other medium, 1024x768. 50 fps in deserts. Generally the x1650 should be better than a 6800 but seems the 128bits make a lot of difference. when i get the new card ill let you know if i have 10 fps confused_o.gif

Just RMA the card to the place you purchased it from. There's absolutely no way they'd be able to tell you "personally" fried the card by overclocking it.

Hi.

I bought a ATI radion 1650pro card a month ago to play ArmA, but i was a little dissapointed becos i only got like 10- 20 fps, so i tryed a little tool that was recomended in one of the posts on this forum, called ATITool.

I tryed the find max core option and it ended in a white screen and the computer froze. After that i cant get any game to work and everything is like there is no drivers installed

(I have installed them several times)

When i try ofp i get a message saying cannot create 3d device

error D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

Arma simply dont start at all

Have i Destroyed my gfx card?

Thats a driver and/or DirectX. Trust me, if you had a dead graphics card, you'd know all about it whistle.gif

I have an ATI sapphire x1650pro. Same 15-20 fps with all normal(post process low, antialias low, terrain detail low, shadows low, blood low, View distance 1200m) expecially in the forest. Tha card is overclocked with ati overdrive to 641Mhz VPU and 720Mhz graphic memory.

I have noticed that with antialias to normal i receive 10 FPS!!!

With task manager i have noticed that my cpu usage is used only 45-60% but i have a problem with the memory usage.

Task manager says that Arma.exe use 500-550 Mb (plus 320Mb of ram used by my 35 processes Total 870 Mb of ram used circa). But i see in task manager that the total memory used by the system is 1,6 Gb!!! (This means that windows is using the pagefile that is more slow). I don't know if this is normal

I think that te poor FPS is not only an ATI driver issue, but also a RAM problem.

Anyone has the same experience?

AMD ATHLON X2 4200+

Abit FATAL1TY AN9

1GB Tkmemory

Hitachi SATA II 250Gb Hard Drive

I've tried to set max and min virtual RAM of my windows XP to 2048MB do you think that i'm mad, but now with all on normal (Including antialias, Ansiotropic filter and shadows) the game as 25 fps in the forest at 1024x768 !!! wow_o.gif

Rechecked with different settings with min and max virtual ram and the game return to his 10-15 fps with these settings. Another issue is that the game now close more speedy than first.

I've read in a topic in this forum (i cannot remember were )that a guy have noticed the same thing.

I hope that can help someone with ATI cards

If the processing unit or the RAM of your card are physically damaged, you had errors when starting up your PC already. Most likely with BIOS beep tones.

I've tried to set max and min virtual RAM of my windows XP to 2048MB do you think that i'm mad, but now with all on normal (Including antialias, Ansiotropic filter and shadows) the game as 25 fps in the forest at 1024x768 !!! wow_o.gif

Rechecked with different settings with min and max virtual ram and the game return to his 10-15 fps with these settings. Another issue is that the game now close more speedy than first.

I've read in a topic in this forum (i cannot remember were )that a guy have noticed the same thing.

I hope that can help someone with ATI cards

ok calm down now smile_o.gif and explain again what you did. set page file to 2048mb?

First of all, don't bother with OC utilities unless you're willing to gamble on your card's life. It's handy when your card is near obsolesence and you don't care if you fry it, but unless you have extremely good airflow in your case and have extra fans etc..., you're taking a chance for the sake of a few extra frames per second.

Secondly, if your card was fried, odds are you wouldn't even see the post screen when you turn your computer on, much less see the windows desktop. Symptoms of a fried card are typically either odd colored squares or other shapes flashing up on the screen or no display at all (black screen from the moment you power up). So set the gpu/memory values in that utility back to default if you can and then uninstall it, or uninstall it and make sure all registry entries pertaining to that util are deleted (assuming you know what you're doing).

And finally, it is becoming a commonplace for people with butt-kicking new hardware to be getting absolutely dismal performance in AA. I only have a BFG 7600 GS-OC/3Ghz P4 with 2 gigs of ram, but the demo is unplayable for me unless I'm playing coop by myself, and it doesn't sound like the full version is any better performance-wise.

Normaly I'd say that the devs' goals were too lofty for today's hardware, but then I've heard some people claim they get great performance with lesser hardware, and people with computers vastly superior to mine complaining about horrible performance, so who knows what the heck is going on. I can't justify buying a whole new computer for one game when my current one runs everything else perfectly, especially not knowing for sure it'll even fix the performance issues, so I guess I'll have to give up on AA until I can't run other games and I absolutely have to upgrade.

I've never seen a game like this where some people with older machines can run it smoothly at medium settings and others with cutting-edge hardware cannot, even at lower settings, with no discernable common denominator indicating what the problem is.

All I know is that in any capture-the-island game I try to join, I end up watching a 3d slideshow and it makes no difference what my graphics options are set to.

I got my gfx card to work again yay.gif

The solution was to reinstall DirectX

But i still have crappy 10fps when playing ArmA, and now i cant multitask out of ArmA without it quitting to desktop confused_o.gif

Do i really have to fork up 1200 bucks for a new computer to get good fps in ArmA?

I have:

Pentiun 4 2,6ghz

1 Gig ram

Radeon 1650pro gfx card 250mb DDR3 ram

But i still have crappy 10fps when playing ArmA, and now i cant multitask out of ArmA without it quitting to desktop confused_o.gif

Do i really have to fork up 1200 bucks for a new computer to get good fps in ArmA?

I have:

Pentiun 4 2,6ghz

1 Gig ram

Think of it more as a new PC to run STALKER, Alan Wake, Crysis, Company of hero's, Supreme Commander and ARMA to mention a few that will also run Vista later this year super fast.

So yes you might need to spend 1000-2000 dollars totally upgrading your PC.

Unless you only want to run Doom 2 Hl2 etc on it. New games generally need new PC's to run them fast in HD res with eye candy.

you can't runa PS3 game on a PS2.

I have:

Pentiun 4  2,6ghz

1 Gig ram

Solid Snake I have more or less the same spec as you

Pentium 4 3Ghz

1 gig Ram

Saphire Radeon X1650 pro 256 mb

Its good to know i'm not the only one with a half decent spec who cannot run arma even on the lowest settings.

I tried flying over Corozal last night in a chopper with view distance on 1200 (any less and its an arcade game) all settings on very low or disabled (AA,AF,shadows) and i got 10fps.

I'm sorry to say this ARMA lovers but the game is a joke! I've spent three weeks trying EVERYTHING to get this game working properly (and i mean everything). The recommended spec on the game box is in my opion false advertising and the developers should be ashamed of themselves.

Unless you've got a 2000 pound machine you can't play a 30 quid game even on low settings!

HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE HAVING GRAPHICAL PROBLEMS! Look at all the forums and chat rooms bombarded with graphical problems

SORT IT OUT

Your GFX card is what needs the most upgrading...

It will also give you the biggest FPS boost..