Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Does unarmed AI use crates/pick up weapons?

Any experiences with that? I need to test it today... try putting 5 civilians in the group and add one BLUFOR leader (sargeant) and group them together. Put some crates near them... they should see a group of enemies approaching and I wonder if AI is so smart that they know they need guns/ammo to protect their lives?

I can confirm, that they pick up ammunition themselves. Played some missions and saw that few times. But they picked up from dead bodies...

They also, at the least can pick up ammo from weapons crates too

This can get nasty aswell. I had some regular crewmembers placed at a map and everytime I tested the mission they ran off to the next car with ammo in it to resupply biggrin_o.gif

So yes, they do.

From my experience they will only do this automatically for ammo for their primary weapon though.

I don't know if it works with civilians, but you could also try it by placing "removeAllWeapons this" in the Init-lines of the regular troups (without the quotes). This will strip them bare of all weapons and ammunition when you start the mission (works in the Editor too).

As I remember from when I was playing with an AI Leader they usually sent me to the next dead soldier to rearm if I announced that I'm low on ammo, but yeah, that's not a weapon per se, but close to.

This can get nasty aswell. I had some regular crewmembers placed at a map and everytime I tested the mission they ran off to the next car with ammo in it to resupply  biggrin_o.gif

So yes, they do.

From my experience they will only do this automatically for ammo for their primary weapon though.

Secondary too, since OFP, AI leaders ordered their subordinates to rearm when the option was available and the soldier in question was low on any type of ammo (for any muzzle too, so 40mm grenades for example included).