Sign in to follow this  
fireship4

Multiple ammunition types in a single magazine

Anyone know how (or if there is a way) to add multiple ammunition types to a single magazine and modify the order in which they fire?

Is there any way to make one ammo type lose energy faster than another?

Is there a way to make tracers begin to burn some distance after leaving the barrel?

Preferably through cfg file modding and not scripting... I've been trying but have a poor grasp of the syntax etc.

As far as I know, none of those are possible. The tracers are possible to a degree via scripting (there was a tracer addon for OFP, was it BN Tracers? which simulated the tracers only after they passed a certain distance if I remember correctly).

I think its better if you try to explain what effect you really want.

Maybe you could use diffrent modes, a mode, diffrent mags..

If you tell us little about how its suppoed to work we might help you with a possible workaround.

I was working on modding realistic tracers into the game - possibly even with slightly different flight characteristics. I was looking into creating all types of tracer (normal, subdued and dim) - hence the question about delayed burning.

It is relatively easy to modify the config files to remove tracers:

556no_tracer.jpg

And here are the standard magazines for the m16:

556mags.jpg

I've tried adding the no_tracer ammo type to the m16 mag at the same time as the standard ammo but to no avail so far. Maybe I'm just using the wrong syntax - I have

ammo[] = ("ammotype1", "ammotype2")

count[] = (10,10)

and a few variations of this (like with {} instead and + or minus the[]). Maybe someone with good knowledge of the syntax can help.

P.S. The problem with Bn880's tracer mod for OFP as far as I know was that you had to enable tracers for each player and then tracers would appear for all guns carried by them (even handguns).

The ammo and count entries in the config are not designed to be array entries. Therefore, no matter how hard you try, you will not be able to enter multiple types of ammo.

So is there any other way to do it - preferrably without scripting.

On the subject of the files not designed to work as arrays, I saw multiple values being used elsewhere in one of the weapon configs. I will post a pic of it later tonight if I can.

[...] I saw multiple values being used elsewhere in one of the weapon configs. [...]

Maybe for the different magazines each weapon uses?

yep:

weaponsarray.jpg

Is there a way to turn the ammo or count into arrays then? Maybe by going back to their roots and redefining them or something?

I doubt it, but its certainly something to consider. Maybe by editing the games main config?

yep:

weaponsarray.jpg

Is there a way to turn the ammo or count into arrays then? Maybe by going back to their roots and redefining them or something?

(I know I'm quoting an image, but its "important" so :P )

Theres the difference, the magazines entry has been coded as an array since day 1 of OFP. The ammo and count entries have always been single, non-array, entries.

Unless Suma changes it, we're stuck with the way it is.

So are we just left with scripting?

If so, would a script be possible that would change between magazines every x (depending on choice) shots? Then a tracer magazine could be put into the magazines array and set to have alot of ammo and not take up any slots when added to a soldier.

The script could even differentiate between the different types of tracer (if we can create good approximations of them in the first place) by using more than one type of mag.

This should also allieviate the handgun/tracer problem aswell.

I can't (at the moment) write a script like this - can one of you guys? We could work together probably.