Sign in to follow this  
ffak

"Direct Hit" How do I?

Hello

I'm stuck in this first or second mission in the AA campaign.

How can you have a commando mission without suppressed weapon ?? wow_o.gifbanghead.gif

Have you some clue to reach 1st objective? What is your tactical move and where do you place your character?

help.gif

thx

Hi FFAK

Do not use your gun!

You can not kill armour, the objective, with an assault rifle.

Switch on your night goggles (default N key)

Go SSE straight to the top of the hill 44 in grid Gg 55 do not go round the side it is guarded.

At the top of the hill next to the three bushes get rid of your AT weapon and AT rounds. Use the inventory key (default is G) to bring up your inventory double click to remove AT weapons. You are going to be doing some covert crawling an AT tube sticking out your back screws your camouflage.

Observe the enemy patrols. You need to plant your single satchel charge next to the Shilka furthest North, the one SSE at the foot of the hill. You need to time your moment to crawl down to the Shilka to keep your self 100m~ or more from the two man patrol. Please be aware there is a guard in the valley to your E between Hill 44 and hill 45. You are going to crawl down and place the satchel charge underneath the back of the Shilka. Do not use the timer you will set off this charge remotely. You will set off the Charge when you start shooting the other Shilka and the BMPs. Crawl back to the top of the hill. Do this right and the enemy should not have observed you through all this.

Get back to the three bushes and pick up your AT from your stash. you should have three AT rounds. You can get other AT rounds back at the boat if you think you may miss.

The following actions should be rehearsed several times so you do them in sequence and know exactly where to move.

To lodge things in your kinesthetic memory you need to do it three times, strangley from observance training people to rock climb I find odd numbers of action rehearsal seem to work better than even numbers so three times is better than four

Your first target is the second Shilka, it is the only timed shot. It needs to be timed for maximum effect to hit when the two man and one man patrol are next to the Shilka and will be killed in the blast.

Move carefully to the southern edge of the crest of the hill there is a small ledge SSW of the three bushes. Move to a position where your AT shot will just go over the crest. At the correct timed moment take the shot Immediately move backwards when out of sight behind the crest hit Reload and set off your satchel charge with the remote. Two Shilkas down.

Through out the following be aware of the guard in the valley to your east as well as those in the camp

Now moving out of sight behind the hill crest, move back toward the bushes get to your pre chosen spot, in you rehearsals, where you can fire a rocket over the crest of the hill to hit the BMP nearest the camp fire. Take the shot Immediately move backwards when out of sight behind the crest hit Reload and move to your pre chosen position to to take out the Final BMP.

Take the shot Immediately move backwards when out of sight get your gun up and sprint to the boat.

Basic mission finished.

If you want to do the optional steal the secret plans do it after you place the satchel charge and without that camouflage busting AT on your back. There may be a silenced weapon hidden in crate somewhere who knows. wink_o.gif

If I had the option I would have taken 4 satchel charges to do this mission no gun. AT at night is not very covert unless you follow the above plan of fire and move fire and move. That said one day into a surprise war it is the kind of crazy ass thing you might have to do with your base taken and your C4 in enemy hands.

Kind Regards Walker

that's pretty much it. it's not that hard, either. plus, the mission actually ends when you've taken care of the objectives... biggrin_o.gif

Btw the guard at the east of the hill (I think it's east) can be killed even with normal M4/M16, the others do not hear the detonation.

Take care also to 1 or 2 lonies running around, sometimes.

The way I did it was to do the steal the plans 1st. There are 2 camps on route with 3 men in the 1st camp and 2 men on the 2nd camp. You can see these in the distance because they have camp fires burning. Now the tricky bit is the main camp where the plans are, there is 3 or 4 MG gun turrets with sandbag walls and about 6 soldiers in the prone postion near the Helicopter and I think there was 1 near the cammo netting. The hardest bit was the six soldiers around the helo because as soon as I killed 1 they started hunting for me but split up. I moved back towards the second camp site where there is some cover and picked the rest off as they tried shotting at me. I only just made it though. Took out the rest of the MG gunners, looked in all tents then jumped into the helo and flew to main mission and destroyed all armor to complete the mission. yay.gif

Oh and there are lots of goodies in the crates at the camp sites too, So if you want to pack 4 satchel charges to do the main mission then I guess you could do it that way.

i think there are 4 of those ammo cache camps. you'll find different weapons in each of the caches.

i could never get the documents, though. i completed my first objective and went for the docs. i crawled (in prone position) towards the second camp, but even though i was crawling - at night - and still a few dozen meters away, they always spotted me and killed me with only a few shots. i had to give up and headed for the boat instead, only to be greeted by a bunch of enemies that must have followed me from camp 1! how could they know where i was headed?

I3laze that's almost what I did,

I went to the document camp, proned my way in it from beach, as you can get in between the MG gunners pointing beach side and they won't notice you, there is an ammo dump in camp left of helo if you are coming from beach, with a different guns in it (a handy for stealth ops) took out 3 MG's nests and didn't touch the guards, just jumped into helo and flew off destroyed the armour, made a nice fire so all camp was lit up.

I3laze that's almost what I did,

I went to the document camp, proned my way in it from beach, as you can get in between the MG gunners pointing beach side and they won't notice you, there is an ammo dump in camp left of helo if you are coming from beach, with a different guns in it (a handy for stealth ops) took out 3 MG's nests and didn't touch the guards, just jumped into helo and flew off destroyed the armour, made a nice fire so all camp was lit up.

that's cool, you can actually steal that chopper? it's funny because i tried stealing one of the vehicles in camp 1, and they are all locked. i never bothered trying to hijack the chopper as i thought it would be locked as well.

Yep you can, there is something in grass by chopper everytime I got near they all opened fire, so next time I just took out 3 closest MG nest with suppressed and jumped in chopper they didn't even open fire the guards in the camo tent thing when I started it up, you get 96 rockets to play with plenty to take out armour. Just ejected over boat and mission done.

At end of mission of breakdown it said I got docs and stole the chopper as objectives complete.

just don't bother with this mission. It's ridiculously boring.

just don't bother with this mission.  It's ridiculously boring.

It's only boring if you don't have sense of adventure.

Stealing the helicopter is definitely the easiest way to complete this mission in my opinion. First I thought it was impossible but then I tried to crawl carefully from the seaside and they didn't notice a thing before I took off with the helo wink_o.gif

just don't bother with this mission.  It's ridiculously boring.

Hi Banano

We know covert missions are the hardest thing to do when you are a beginner. It just takes time and patience.

If you can become good at using cover and concealment you will find as I have that you can sneak right up to the heels of an AI at night. Just take your time.

Crawl one move then wait, one move then wait. Moving lots makes lots of noise and attracts the enemies attention.

If you take your time and are never in the enemies sight and only make a little noise then are quiet they relax again, and you can do this mission without the enemy knowing you are there till you blow the armour.

Kind Regards walker

The way i did it is pretty simple. You can change your M4 to something else: i choosed the Dragunov. Snipe 2-3 ennemy soldier, then move to another snipping spot, snipe 2-3 soldiers, move again, etc... Until none is left alive.

This is definitely a 'steal chopper' mission! It seems that BIS deliberately made achieving this by conventional sabotage alone very difficult in order to exercise the initiative in players. Not many other games have this kind of ‘openness’ where there may be several ways to achieve an objective … some easy some difficult. It was present in OFP too. I remember the nigh time sabotage of the enemy tank mission from the woods. Several tanks and a gunship that would take off once you alerted the enemy. Easiest way was to sneak and steal a T72, destroy the gunship before it took off then take out all RPG soldiers before destroying the other tanks and all other soldiers, then use one of your satchels on the T72!

Proof that this is a ‘thinking mans’ game and not just your average ‘shoot'n run’!  wink_o.gif

rejoice, with the new patch you get a suppressed M-4 for this mission yay.gif . makes it a whole lot easier and realistic to take out the machine gunners in camp 2 and steal the chopper.

The way I did it was to do the steal the plans 1st. There are 2 camps on route with 3 men in the 1st camp and 2 men on the 2nd camp. You can see these in the distance because they have camp fires burning. Now the tricky bit is the main camp where the plans are, there is 3 or 4 MG gun turrets with sandbag walls and about 6 soldiers in the prone postion near the Helicopter and I think there was 1 near the cammo netting. The hardest bit was the six soldiers around the helo because as soon as I killed 1 they started hunting for me but split up. I moved back towards the second camp site where there is some cover and picked the rest off as they tried shotting at me. I only just made it though. Took out the rest of the MG gunners, looked in all tents then jumped into the helo and flew to main mission and destroyed all armor to complete the mission. yay.gif

Oh and there are lots of goodies in the crates at the camp sites too, So if you want to pack 4 satchel charges to do the main mission then I guess you could do it that way.

I did it the same way, but I skilled the 6 soldiers in the cammo netting tent with one grenade that I took from a dead enemy.

I also stole a suppresed weapon somewhere to make things easier.

I tried... and I tried... and I tried, about 10 times. I actually sneaked the best I could the last 5 but then gave up a day before the patch came out.

Got it right the first time after patch, playing very, very drunk and going Rambo mode, like so:

Run to hill where the three bushes (north of the camp) are overlooking the enemy armour, go to SW ledge of the hill to avoid exposure, wait for patrols to get near the Shilka in the West and destroy it (killing up to three enemy riflemen while doing it), pull back, reload, go to center of hill, RPG BMP near campfire, pull back, reload, move 20 to 40 meters east, pop up over the crest once more and RPG the last BMP.

Ignore the bullets whipping past you by now, run back to the extraction boat, gear up with a few more rockets (enemy patrols will lose you in the hill and remain there, milling around), avoid the hill when returning (enemy patrols are still looking for you around the spots you fired from) and instead take the pass into the camp from the north, the single guard placed there in the beginning of the scenario will not be there anymore since he is running around looking for you.

Destroy the remaining Shilka from 250 meters with the rockets you got from the boat. Run back to boat, extract.

It was very easy or I got very lucky, and when I set timer to run 4 x while running to the boat and back took all of 5 minutes.

Did it with quite a few saves in one sitting. Killed all the weapon dump guards then went up to the camp for the secret documents, killed all the guards there and got the documents (anyone else find the radio hidden in the grass by the helicopter on this one ? ) . Headed back to the armour camp and took out a shilka with the satchel bomb and one BMP on the first run then another shilka and BMP after reloading with rockets at the extraction point.

Will have to try the helicopter ride next time round smile_o.gif