Sign in to follow this  
Vegabond

OFP Runs well with Windows ME?

Me Or Xp?

I keep seeing problems with XP but some say xp is better..

And I dont want to see more of microsofts bells n whistles...

so Me is good with OFP?

i have windows me . not a single problem with any game i every played on it concerning the windows version. including ofp..

just my video card sucx.

I've only tried OFP on WindowsXP Professional and it's worked without a hitch. Well besides the normal hitches (sound bug and repeat bug). I wouldn't recommend either of the upgrades, just go for the full versions.

I can't believe people are viewing/posting on Christmas Day! I'm at work from 8a-4p ... I'm just here wasting time 'til I go home.

I haven't any problem with ME, but on XP is game much more slower...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from MdT on 1:15 am on Dec. 26, 2001

I haven't any problem with ME, but on XP is game much more slower...<span id='postcolor'>

How much memory do you have?

I have a full version of professional xp but it is usless as I can't use my modem or dvd rom with it so I'm still using 98 while my copy of xp sits unused. upgrade the drivers you say well I can't the people who made my dvd rom don't do driver and I can't ge through to the tech surport people who made my pc. The same prob with my modem.

Windows xp can't even detect them which means I can't upgrade so I'm stuck with 98.

OFP runs very fast and smooth on my XP machine. It certainly seems faster than it did under 98 but I haven't run any fps checker to prove it.

Biggest bonus is that an MP session doesn't require me to reboot like 98 did.

reboot?

I refuse to install ME on any machines, it the worst of the Win OS's, XP will be terrible for the next 6-8 months due to low driver support, right now it's no better then Win 95 was when it was released, i could list for ever the thing that wont run on XP that we all use

heh, i've been using WinXP since Alpha stages and i think it's just as good as Win9x/WinME. Suggesting for someone to buy anything less than XP will basicly limit them to future software as the newer software gets. The less they will concernrate on the old OS's. Look at Win95. Technically the same as Win98 but MS have made OfficeXP not to install on it saying they need at least Win98 or higher.

win 95 is in no way comparible, try and run Win 98 on a 486 33mhz or a p1 100 mhz, you can't, yet win 95 runs well on them (not the 486 really heh) when Win 95 was released it was just as bad as Xp no driver suport

right now XP has less then 50% driver surport, give it 6 months or so and it will rock, untill then even if it works for a few ppl it's not worth it yet if you all ready have windows ME/SE, if you're buying a new system then yes pick it up since this way you don't pay for Windows twice when you upgrade later

if you have Win 98 ME/SE leave it at that for at leats 6 more months then grab XP when it has more driver support

(Edited by RN Malboeuf at 5:46 am on Dec. 26, 2001)

I'm a pc technician / pc-sales, having few computers running different versions of Windows. A p3-500mhz/128mb memory laptop works fine with XP for normal office use (word, excell etc) however more memory would be nice. Running OFP on a "mini" pc like that wouldn't be such a good choice.

Running OFP on another PC I have with 1gb DDR memory, 1600mhz AMD cpu and GF3 rocks wildly, never any lag even at highest resolutions. Still the PC is totally overkill for that task, but wether I use XP/Win2000/W98 doesn't matter all that much in this scenario.

Given the choice of ONLY Win ME or XP , and say you have atleast 256mb of memory and a 650mhz or faster cpu I would have chosen Win XP.

Basicly because microsoft officially stated themselves that Win ME was a major bummer and never should have been released, it has severel serious memory leaks that some people get to feel very often while other people seldom see those errors.

Win XP is a new system yes, but with a pretty updated PC today running wildy known hardwareparts like soundblaster live series, nvidia chipset on the graphic card etc and via or intel chipset on the mainboard, XP would usully find most of that itself without problems (still a upgrade of those drivers is a good idea).

However with external hardware like scanners, printers, webcams etc things might be bit different, buildt in driver support is better than in win2000 but not perfect.

So check your hardware, visit MS webpage to check what hardware XP support (or ask your dealer if your hardware will be fine with XP) .. Then make your choice.

XP is after all (with all flaws) technically a better OS than Win 9x/ME series when handling memory, multitasking, speed etc -given the fact- you have enough hardware to support it.

I'm a pc-techie too and I have to agree with Birkoff.

But there is a SB-Live issue with OFP and WinXP and a few other games.

I've noticed only two drawbacks running XP with OFP:

1.The Soundblaster-live issue

2. Slightly lower fps in WinXP over WinME

Both issues will be fixed over time as new drivers are released. Let's face it; WinXP is still only a 'child'. Issues like these are quite normal with new OS's.

A little tip for those new to WinXP: Turn off the eye-candy and it will run faster wink.gif

Merry Christmass everyone smile.gif

I dont want XP though, tired of microsofts bells n whistles

and those sound problems too in xp...

sad.gif

if you have a OS stick with it for a few more months and then chip in for XP, I'm waiting at least 6 more months and I get mine free from my store so i'm in no hurry

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 7:30 pm on Dec. 26, 2001

if you have a OS stick with it for a few more months and then chip in for XP, I'm waiting at least 6 more months and I get mine free from my store so i'm in no hurry<span id='postcolor'>

Yeha great for some but have already tossed my cash down the drain on XP it now just sits in a cupboard waiting for use as I can't find the drivers I need for it to run properly on my system. I'm now thinking about buying a DVD rom that has XP surport and a modem as The pople who made my DVD don't do drivers for some legal reason and my modem drivers are not out yet.

I think it is rather poor that my pc is only about 4-5 months old and still what you would call top of the range in pc terms. My older PC about 2 years old can run Xp for some reason with no problems and this has pissed me off somewhat as my old pc ain't any good for games anymore it is a shame.

how can a DVD drive be incompatible? wtf? thats unheard of!#@. Are you saying WinXP does detect your DVD drive at all or it doesn't play DVDs?

Windows Me is not the worst operation system. It's the best. I have Win Me since November 2000 and it runs perfectly since then. It's much better than Windows 98.

I bought Windows XP Professional a few months ago. I have both windows installed on my CPU. Me runs with the same speed as XP. I didn't nothest any differences. Everyting runs the same as in Win Me. I'm using Win Me most of my time, because Windows XP design is so childish.

(Edited by SpaceAlex at 5:31 pm on Dec. 27, 2001)

did you miss the fact that even MS says ME is trash?

thats why 2k was made and then XP

ME is the Windows for dummies, it's more user freindly, but when it comes to fine tuning things it not up to the task as Win 98 SE or W2K is

the top OS is 98SE and in a few months XP will rule the world, i don't like it's open doors via the net tho (more ifo at http://www.grc.com for XP security flaws)

Can you point us to where Microsoft has stated this about Windows ME? I'd be very interested to pass this along to my friends. Thanks,

Timereaver

True that XP has many default cartoonish graphic features that I didn't like but you can turn it all off. My desktop is very similar to my old 98SE desktop, just has updated icon graphics. Got my taskbar, quick launch bar, old style menus, etc.

GO WINDOWS CLASSIC!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from RN Malboeuf on 11:20 pm on Dec. 27, 2001

did you miss the fact that even MS says ME is trash?

thats why 2k was made and then XP

ME is the Windows for dummies, it's more user freindly, but when it comes to fine tuning things it not up to the task as Win 98 SE or W2K is

the top OS is 98SE and in a few months XP will rule the world, i don't like it's open doors via the net tho (more ifo at http://www.grc.com for XP security flaws)

<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sure that Microsoft didn't say that.  MS 98SE are not better than Win Me,. I'm so happy that i upgrade to Win ME. There's no truth in your sentences above and win XP has already ruled over the world.

(Edited by SpaceAlex at 11:04 pm on Dec. 28, 2001)

>I'm sure that Microsoft didn't say that.  MS 98SE are >not better than Win Me,. I'm so happy that i upgrade >to Win ME. There's no truth in your sentences above >and win XP has already ruled over the world.

Well actually they did here in Norway not long ago, translated : "Windows ME should never have been released and was only released due to pressure from hardware manufactors"

Also : "Microsoft Corp.'s tech support team has again confirmed the memory leak within the Windows ME operating system, this time directly to ExtremeTech."

A link to MS tech info; <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q278368

Also" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q278368

Also</a> read; <a href="http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D201%2526a%253D8748,00.asp

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D201%2526a%253D9752,00.asp

" target="_blank">http://www.extremetech.com/article....

http</a>

Some observations from me regarding XP vs W2K vs W9X etc. (from various experience by selling & setting up hardware etc)

W9X series including ME is ok for those not wanting multitasking, easy setup, not so memory hungry, pretty fast, but no good for multitasking. ME should be avoided if possible due to memory leak errors.

Win2K, good stable multitasking system, all well known hardware works fine, not much problems with it, bit technical to get stuff like network etc working (but same with w9x series). Don't need to reboot as often as in W9x series but still too often smile.gif Native driver support is good but not perfect. Most newer games (past 2 years atleast) works fine, old dos games is so-so. (quake1 works, doom2 works etc.)

Win XP, brand new and flashy as few, alot better native driver support and MUCH better auto configure of hardware than Win2k(or w9x,me). Setup network is usually a walk in the park, autodetect of almost everything and rarely errors with auto-setup(network). Serious heavyload HDD access for IDE drives is far better than Win2k (my guess is 2-4 times better without lagging). All the flashy stuff can be turned off & you can end up with a total win2000 look & feel but with better "power" than W2K. Using W2K makes XP GUI alot faster even on high end systems(gf3 powered etc). Compability with software equals or better than Win2000. A few programs made for W2K platform however -may- cause damage to the registry, others just won't start. Nonworking software (32bit) is -rare-

Since XP is brand new it's not odd that it has some flaws as every Microsoft OS has this far, all new releases from MS in the past had glitches when released (like now with XP security glitch:). Usually all these stuff is fixed ASAP.

With a decent computer today and choice of any MS OS it would be best to choose XP or as 2nd choice Win2K if you want to use the PC for multitasking stuff (like surfing while burning cd's while watching divx etc).

Choice of XP versus Win2000 is mostly a matter of taste and preferance, XP is bit more automatic, bit more pnp, bit better overal but not a quantumleap forward from Win2k.

Birkoff