Sign in to follow this  
mandoble

Over sea?

Just a curiosity.

This is how many people determine it:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_plane = _this select 0

_sea = "EmptyDetector" createVehicle [0,0,0]

_ground = "logic" createVehicle [0,0,0]

#check

_posplane = getPos _plane

_sea setPos [_posplane select 0, _posplane select 1,0]

_ground setPos [_posplane select 0, _posplane select 1,0]

_distance = _sea distance _ground

?_distance > 1:hint "Over land"

?_distance <= 1:hint "Over sea"

~1

goto "check"

The problem is that the logic over sea will never go exactly to height 0, as real sea level changes with the time.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_plane = _this select 0

_sea = "EmptyDetector" createVehicle [0,0,0]

_ground = "logic" createVehicle [0,0,0]

#check

_posplane = getPos _plane

_sea setPos [10,10,0]

_ground setPos [10,10,0]

_sealevel = _sea distance _ground

_sea setPos [_posplane select 0, _posplane select 1,0]

_ground setPos [_posplane select 0, _posplane select 1,0]

_distance = _sea distance _ground

?_distance > (_sealevel + 1):hint "Over land"

?_distance <= (_sealevel + 1):hint "Over sea"

~1

goto "check"

this is how the ecp rotor_wash effect checks whether the player is over water:

Quote[/b] ]_sensor = "EmptyDetector" createVehicle [0,0,0]

_calcH = {private["_result"]; _sensor setpos [getpos _unit select 0, getpos _unit select 1]; _result = getpos _sensor select 2; _result};

? abs (call _calcH) <= 2.4:goto "water"

seems simple enough. how precise do you need to be?

That's the problem, sealevel of sea itself is not always near 2.4m, it depends a lot on the time of the day.

If you want to create dust or water trails for a fast low level flying object, you need to know exactly over what is your object every time. Else you may end generating water trail over beach sand or green dust over water tounge2.gif

Maybe build up a lookup table for different islands; depending on date&time, where is sea level. Lots of work no doubt about that, might need quite big arrays depending on how much the tide varies between dates. Also how could you get the current date into your script? Does date affect tide or just time of day? I recall date too affects tide but I could be wrong.

Maybe some easier solution can be found.

Edit: Hey can you put some object floating into the water and check its height position, couldn't that be used? Boat? An invisible, small boat? Or better to use existing OFP boat, create it into corner of map, get its position, work out the difference to actual sea level for that boat type.

Well I already posted the solution, it is the second script of first post. It was just a curiosity to keep in mind when you need to make sea level calculations wink_o.gif

The object over the water to calculate its altitude over sea level is just the ground logic. You place the sensor just at 0m, then the logic at 0m (but the logic will keep just over the water, not 0m), then you get the distance and it is the ASL altitude of the sea itself.

Oh yes smile_o.gif

Seems like I somehow missed the gamelogic in your script while reading through it, and I didn't realize it is the solution.