Sign in to follow this  
KaRRiLLioN

createGroup - group nulls with zero units?

I've got a mission where I use the local server to create soldiers and move them into one of the players' groups.

In init.sqs, I created two groups: westGroupA and eastGroupA

So, I create the soldiers in westGroupA, then join them to whatever group ordered them. Afterward, no other units would build and I discovered that after moving the units from westGroupA, it was now a null group.

So the question is this--anyone know if that means the group is deleted and not counted toward the 144 group limit? If it is deleted and doesn't count, then no problem--I'll just recreate the group each time I need it. I want to avoid the OFP method used for this, which was to create AI in the mission editor and give them group names that I'd use for createUnit, etc.

I think in OFP, the group was still counted even if it had zero units in it, but maybe this has changed. To be on the safe side you could use 'deleteGroup _group' to explicitly remove a group.

Can anyone confirm that using deletegroup really works and that it allows the group to be again used with creategroup?

I haven't looked into it deep enough yet, but my last test time seemed to point out that deleting the groups has no purpose, because they can not be re-used again, you just keep counting to the 144 group limit and even if you delete the empty groups, you can't re-use the group.... Anyone able to confirm?

If it is a bug or by design I will probably put the 'emptied' groups into an array and let those be re-used instead of creating new groups in the scripts.