kissdznuts

Need help troubleshooting my system.

Here's my system:

EVGA mbo with a intel quad-core chip.

4 gig memory

4 drive raid (striping)

2 8800 GTX in SLI

SB Audigy 2

I installed the AA demo. All video settings are setup as default (nothing changed). When playing a co-op game and going into sniper mode, my mouse/frame rate is horrible. I have tried adjusting the mouse sensitivity and the float zone - with no improvements. System is not overclocked. Basics like defrag have been covered.

All Nvidia control panel settings for AA, antisoptropic set to application.

All other games the system chews up and spits out except AA (which was the whole reason for the upgrade).

Anyone have any suggestions on how to increase game performance with my setup?

I did a couple more tests. I maxed all graphic settings and reran the demo. All guns (except the m21) work properly. Frame rate is fine with no noticeable lag when using the guns in normal or sight mode. When using the sniper gun, mouse still acts erratic.

Turned all settings to completely lowest, and the mouse was slightly better but not normal.

Its simple.. everyone experiences this problem.

For some reason, when guns use a zoom the FPS drops...

BIS is aware of that and will fix it in the next patch I hope, I have around 3-5 fps when using the M24, Mk12, SVD, or M4Scoped.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I searched a couple other forums and other players believed it was a lack of current hardware .

Thanks again.

Holy crap ,thats some system.

It makes mine seem like a C64

Try going into your Nvidia control panel and forcing Vsync OFF. I would think it wouldnt cause it to happen on your immense system tho lol, but worth a shot.

Good luck

SOBR[1st-I-R] @ Jan. 19 2007,18:55)]Its simple.. everyone experiences this problem.

For some reason, when guns use a zoom the FPS drops...

BIS is aware of that and will fix it in the next patch I hope, I have around 3-5 fps when using the M24, Mk12, SVD, or M4Scoped.

Was the problem added to the bug reporting wiki? Just wondering?

By the way thats some system.

PACO454

I'll check the v-sync idea and let you know if it works for me. After I saw SOBR's response, I just thought everyone had this issue and there wasn't anything else to try.

When I checked the wiki, I didn't see it specifically. I'll recheck that this week also. If it's not on there, I'll see if I can get it added.

Im fine with Vsync off...

So its not a problem for all... Turning Vsync off will HOPEFULLY fix it.. if not.. i'll have to look into it more..

Took me a while to get Vista up and going (it's got some issues here and there, but overall it's cool).

Turning V-sync off def. has made the scope start working as expected. Thanks to Jack-UK for the tip! The game graphics really do look amazing in AA with everything turned up. Now if only the English version would ship smile_o.gif

I have only one 8800GTS xmas_o.gif

What also helped was another video driver.

97.92 did the trick

Took me a while to get Vista up and going (it's got some issues here and there, but overall it's cool).

Turning V-sync off def. has made the scope start working as expected. Thanks to Jack-UK for the tip! The game graphics really do look amazing in AA with everything turned up. Now if only the English version would ship smile_o.gif

Good to hear you got it running smile_o.gif

lets hope BIS allows us to turn it off ingame in an upcoming patch biggrin_o.gif

It's not that big of a deal to turn it off without the setting being in game...

Well if the setting is causing multiple issues (the issue which 'nutz enountered is fairly common) then i think it should be included ingame without having to "Force OFF" in the Vcard settings... Its not very easy for people to diagnose either... Stick a VSync on/off button ingame with a tooltip to disable "If encountering Scopelag/whatever u wanna call it"

Just my opineon...

I think this isn't a hardware/driver caused issue. It's a flaw in the engine, and has got to do with non-present LOD blending for the trees. At least I read in the interview that this is one of the issues being adressed in the next patch.

On a sidenote I can not get rid of the feeling that 99 of the 100 people with uber-high-end systems who posted in the troubleshoot section just want to show off .. I mean most of the threads read like .. "Hey I'm the IBM system admin for the BlueGene computer, and I get 20.000 FPS in basically all aspects of the game, but when I look at the traffic sign in that small village right south of you know where, my mouse stops for five seconds .. please help."

Maybe it's just me though ^.^

I feel slighted with your comment Desertfox, although I can understand those types of posts may happen.

My intention of creating this post was not to brag about my system; but rather explain the issue that was occurring and that I didn't think it was because of lack of hardware power or incorrect drivers (to automatically eliminate "You need to upgrade your hardware in order to play this game" or "update your drivers" responses). When writing my orig post, I did cross my mind that someone may misconstrue what I was trying to convey. For the record, by posting my system specs, I honestly did not intend to brag nor cause dis-respect to anyone else here.

I've been a huge OFP (resistance, hammer) fan since the game came out and have been looking forward to the sequel for years just like everyone else. I have been a "silent" member of the forums for forever and a day, but generally don't post and just troll.

I feel slighted with your comment Desertfox, although I can understand those types of posts may happen.

My intention of creating this post was not to brag about my system; but rather explain the issue that was occurring and that I didn't think it was because of lack of hardware power or incorrect drivers (to automatically eliminate "You need to upgrade your hardware in order to play this game" or "update your drivers" responses). When writing my orig post, I did cross my mind that someone may misconstrue what I was trying to convey. For the record, by posting my system specs, I honestly did not intend to brag nor cause dis-respect to anyone else here.

I've been a huge OFP (resistance, hammer) fan since the game came out and have been looking forward to the sequel for years just like everyone else. I have been a "silent" member of the forums for forever and a day, but generally don't post and just troll.

i dont think he was aiming it directly at you smile_o.gif

Though some people post with top specs almost like they are bragging... "Omg i only get 40 FPS whats wrong with this game" and i can see his point :P

Thanks Kiss

Your post has helped me understand what is wrong with my system.

I have a SLi set up and when I checked it with this >>> http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest it came out as well past the min spec.

As I had just upgraded before Christmas by way of the excuse in giving my old pc to the wife for her home office I am a bit miffed to be having play issues.

Can you tell me what [not too technically now] is the result of forcing Vsync off, is that anything to do with me runing SLi what does it change on my machine to allow better mouse movement.

Also why does my machine set itself so high as default if that isn't the best way to run it.

ie if I lower all my vid setting my FPS almost double. To be honest I can cope with these default settings my main problem is from the sluggish slow mouse when targetting.

If I want to shoot at someone I have to zig-zig my sights correcting overshoot until I'm on target unlike in CoD2 where I just turn and point very crisply.

ArmA targeting is like being in constant shell shock mode.

BTW plz note I'm a sliver surfer [age] so be gentle with any explanations.

Thanks

not to sure as to why? but is well documented that turning v-sync off seems to help alot of people with the mouse lag?

Its nothing to do with SLI in particular.. (im pretty sure people without SLI cards have the same issue..)

I'm not too knowledgeable about the setting, i just know that it stops the 'tearing' of graphics when moving the mouse, for example if you move the mouse quickly, part of the image you see gets frozen and it appears to 'tear'. Vsync stops that. Vsync usually only occurs with lesser cards... (or so i assume)

And for some reason it really drags down the FPS in ArmA when its turned on... oversynching maybe? lol

I *think* that frame rate is limited when vsync is on by refresh rate too.. or something like that...

^^^ Views of an amateur smile_o.gif

Thanks for the help gents.

I have turned Vsync off and it has made a massive difference to my targetting ability, makes the game real enjoyable now.

So far I haven't noticed any tear issues either so fingers crossed this will do until a patch or something comes along or not.

Thanks again.

i dont think he was aiming it directly at you smile_o.gif

Understood capt.

Thanks Kiss

Your post has helped me understand what is wrong with my system.

I have a SLi set up and when I checked it with this >>> http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest it came out as well past the min spec.

As I had just upgraded before Christmas by way of the excuse in giving my old pc to the wife for her home office I am a bit miffed to be having play issues.

Can you tell me what [not too technically now] is the result of forcing Vsync off, is that anything to do with me runing SLi what does it change on my machine to allow better mouse movement.

Hey Barnaby,

Here's what I gathered from a friend who is a video guru. Jack-UK is correct that the setting helps to eliminate a video problem called screen tearing. This tends to happen when there are drastic changes in frame rates when playing. When the rates starting varying heavily, the screen starts "tearing" meaning portions of the screen are not rendered correctly. Turning on V-sync forces the cards to run at a consistent frame rate - which therefore eliminates screen tearing.

He went on to say that there are preset levels of frame rates in which the system will determine what is the best FPS setting to eliminate screen tearing. For some reason, AA determines a framerate that is very slow though. Like Jack-UK stated, this issues exists regardless if the system is running in SLI or not.

I added this to the AA Bug List wiki page so that it may hopefully help others who check there.

Thanks for the link to http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest. I was unaware of that site - something to try tonight. wow_o.gif

wow_o.gif