Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

3 normal crew in 1 tank, how to put names?

Idea is:

Have 2 tanks (M1a1), 6 players.

3 players for each tank.

All players are "crew" soldiers. Named (p1,p2,p3,p4,p5,p6)

Question is:

How do i put the correct name (Commander, Gunner, Driver) so that in the pool slots we can see the p1 as M1a1 Commander, p2 as M1a1 Gunner, p3 as M1a1 Driver.. and so on for the other tank crew. i don't want to have a player as a tank. i want an empty tank and 3 crews for each tank, but the name in slot pool appear correctly.

I do NOT mean the code: p1 moveincommander tank1, ..etc

i want the name to appear in the slot pool

thanks.

plz help smile_o.gif

Easy give me two secs

i think its like this, add this to the description of the unit UNDER the init line.

Quote[/b] ]@STR_MP_ROLES_UNITSNAME_Commander_W1
Quote[/b] ]@STR_MP_ROLES_UNITSNAME_Gunner_W2
Quote[/b] ]@STR_MP_ROLES_UNITSNAME_Driver_W3

try it out and get back to me please smile_o.gif

tryed your code

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@STR_MP_ROLES_UNITSNAME_Commander_W1

and it appear:

crewman, group leader.

if i try this code

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@STR_MP_ROLES_UNITSNAME_TANK_TWO

it appear:

Abram2

does not appear what i want in any sad_o.gif

From what I've seen description should be string, not code, so just type the text you want it to display. Matt Rochelle is for some reason trying to use a stringtable, which is probably a more professional method, but I'm not exactly sure how those work with descriptions.

what i have to do to make Commander, Gunner, Driver appear in slot poll? using the players and empty tanks then?

what i have to do to make Commander, Gunner, Driver appear in slot poll? using the players and empty tanks then?

You can't, at least not the same way that you see it when you make the tank manned and the crew playable, since they aren't in the tank until the mission initializes, but you should be able to use the description as a work around.

ok.. huh.gifsad_o.gif

can you or someone tell me what this code means, word by word?

And what changes can i make?

what other options are there?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">@STR_MP_ROLES_UNITSNAME_TANK_ONE

It appears: Abrams1

I took it from a BIS mission, but it seems they must have there stringtable inside the game cos it wasnt in the mission. but thats how its done. with a stingtable

Works Perfectly for me..

Make a Stringtable with the 3 names, Tank Commander, Tank Gunner ETC...

then add this into the Description of the unit

@STR_Name (the name you selected in the stringtable) i just tested it and it works.

Edit: you can make it say anything you want.

what exactly you put in the:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">stringtable: ?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">description of soldier: ?

i think i did what you told and it didn't work. Only appeared crewman confused_o.gif

i used and tryed these:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">stringtable:STR_Tank Commander

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">stringtable:STR_MP_Tank Commander

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">stringtable:Tank Commander

with

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">description of soldier:@STR_Tank Commander

none worked sad_o.gif what did i do wrong?

ps: this is to work for MP missions

Since many of us have no experience with stringtable.cvs or many other advanced scripting syntax, it might help if you told us exactly what you did.

I put x in stringtable.cvs

I had a simple mission with x

I put x in commander's init field

x happened when I did x

All your doing KyleSarnik is proving that you know how to do it. Some people can't gain the understanding from

stringtable

I'm not saying you need to help but stop making people feel dumb by repeating the same thing. Like, if we were smart enough that link would suffice.

P.S. I learned OFP scripting at the editing center. The examples there were great.

lol - that was too easy. I'm sure the string thing has other benefits and I see that KyleSarnik answered the question with his first post.

Sorry KyleSarnik, the whole string thing is confusing. Never did get it to work.

Thx Surpher

lol - that was too easy. I'm sure the string thing has other benefits and I see that KyleSarnik answered the question with his first post.

Sorry KyleSarnik, the whole string thing is confusing. Never did get it to work.

Thx Surpher

Hey it sucks being ignored not just once, but twice. Besides the biki explains stringtables very well for people who know nothing about them, and certainly answered all of bravo 6's questions.

haha omg . everyone wining about stringtables

its just description. tx . handy stuff