Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Anyway to sprint from crouch beyond double tapping

I have selected to have my sprint key to left shift while depressed, but for some reason it wont allow me to sprint straight from a crouched postion. The only sprint keys wich allow me to do this are the evasive forward or double tap default key. I have problems using the double tap method. Half the time i find if you tap it to quick the player just jogs away instead of sprinting, leaving me a sitting duck if i am under enemy fire. The evasive forward just make the player go into an automtic constant sprint. I just want to know what is wrong with implementing a sprint that i feel fully incontrol of, by that i mean holding down my left shift key and sprinting from crouch and to jog again in a controlled manner.

Bind whatever key you want to be evasive forward?

It doesn't have to be 2xW, you can make it Shift+W if you like.

Bind whatever key you want to be evasive forward?

It doesn't have to be 2xW, you can make it Shift+W if you like.

Sorry but your not getting what i have written. I want to be able to sprint from crouch by just holding down the shift key, and then return to jogging from a sprint while the same key is not pressed. The evasive forward means the player automatically goes into a sprint from crouch and doesn't stop sprinting, it is only by stopping your man that you can then return to just jogging. Movement controls should be made fluid and simple as is real life. I know in real life i can go from crouch to sprint and then back to jog all in one fluid movement, and without having to stop or think about it. I know this is a new game but in Ofp you could do this and it seemed the natural way to move.

What I think he means is the evasive move button (default 2xW) should work the same way the “walk or run temporary/toggle†setting does… meaning you have control of your player smoothly, so when your player is in an evasive move forward, he can come back down to a jog or walk instead of being locked into a full sprint where the only way to come out of it is by letting go of W which makes you come to an instant halt.

I have the EXACT same issue with the controls of the game (I also use shift for “temporary runâ€). There is also another issue with the fact that we do use shift for our “walk or run temporaryâ€, which is that when the game starts your default movement is run, so you have to reverse things by toggling “walk or run temporary/toggle†to make it where you press “shift†to run. There should be a way have “walk toggle†ON by default when you come into the game, so we can use a temporary run button like “shiftâ€.

You can release W for a millisceond and press it again. That way you change to jogging without really halting. Thats how I do it.

Hi,

are u playing the full version or the demo? If u got the full, did u ever read ur manual or do the training?!

Try the following, while standing (basically u can always do it) do a double-tap on shift, so u will toggle between run and walk mode. When ur in walk mode, the shift-key does exactly what u expect to do...it makes u sprint, and guess... normal walking is no running anymore. U can toggle the always run by tapping twice on shift again.

Was that the feature u were looking for?

Happy gamin  tounge2.gif

You can release W for a millisceond and press it again. That way you change to jogging without really halting. Thats how I do it.

Take away the millisecond and all the rest of what you said and ask yourself whats the point in having to release the w key at all, Its just an annoyance that doesn't need to be there. And releasing the w key even for the short time you are talking about will virtually bring your player to a stop. And by doing this millisecond thing you talk about its obvious you are trying to find away around it so why not just say its a problem and lets hope BIS fix it.

Hi,

are u playing the full version or the demo? If u got the full, did u ever read ur manual or do the training?!

Try the following, while standing (basically u can always do it) do a double-tap on shift, so u will toggle between run and walk mode. When ur in walk mode, the shift-key does exactly what u expect to do...it makes u sprint, and guess... normal walking is no running anymore. U can toggle the always run by tapping twice on shift again.

Was that the feature u were looking for?

Happy gamin  tounge2.gif

Got the full game did all the training and reading. Did you read the post?

I was on about from crouch to sprint then back to jogging, all in one fluid movement without having to temporarily release the w key.

All this double press this key and that is silly there was nothing wrong with the way Ofp used movement. I think you need to read the posts and not just the title to know what i mean. rg7621 post covers it aswell.

Sry, was my fault, english is not my native language so i had to read it more than once... banghead.gif

I see what u mean, yeah in ofp there was a single key for sprint, so u could sprint or run/walk with 2 different keys. I remember there were even 2 buttons for sprint, one while holding the run button, and 1 for just sprinting.

But i must admit i already got used to the double-w sprinting. U can even start it while lying prone. Its a special animation. But i think u know.

Was just messing with it in demo and I think maybe you'll be happy with this:

Try set a key to "Fast Forward" and once you're sprinting and want to slow down, hold FastFwd button and release W, then press W again and release FastFwd. Not as convoluted as it sounds.

My settings:

Fwd: W

Evasive Fwd: 2xW

Fast Fwd: Ctrl+E

Basicly 2xW and Ctrl+E will do the same thing but you can keep the keys helt at the same time preventing you from having to halt briefly.

The animation back to normal run is not perfectly smooth (close) but at least you don't outright stop.

Another benefit from using a keybound Fast Forward instead of double tap is that you will automatically return to sprinting when the ground is flat enough again, where as if you use 2xW you will not resume sprinting.

Try it out.

I never fault BIS for anything but I have to ask "Do they think this way is better than the OFP way" or "Or do they think it will get them more sales from the classic FPS community"? All the other keys are nice but I like the OFP simpler movement method WAAYYYY better.

--Ben

You know, simply pressing your stand up key when you begin running (while crouched) will allow you to sprint without any loss in momentum, just a split second transition anim (still on the move though).

Btw, for those of you who still haven't realized, the "Turbo" control was never removed. The OFP style alternative to Evasive Forward/Sprint:

turbokk4.jpg

Was just messing with it in demo and I think maybe you'll be happy with this:

Try set a key to "Fast Forward" and once you're sprinting and want to slow down, hold FastFwd button and release W, then press W again and release FastFwd. Not as convoluted as it sounds.

My settings:

Fwd: W

Evasive Fwd: 2xW

Fast Fwd: Ctrl+E

Basicly 2xW and Ctrl+E will do the same thing but you can keep the keys helt at the same time preventing you from having to halt briefly.

The animation back to normal run is not perfectly smooth (close) but at least you don't outright stop.

Another benefit from using a keybound Fast Forward instead of double tap is that you will automatically return to sprinting when the ground is flat enough again, where as if you use 2xW you will not resume sprinting.

Try it out.

look i really appreciate your trying to help out here, but apart from a few here i think some are having difficulty knowing what i am talking about. Your post doesn't fully cover what i mean, but to be honest are you really comfortable with your controls. They look an even worse setup then i'm talking about. I mean your Ctrl+E what key do you use to lean right then? (most use E) also you talk about 4 different key combinations to go from evasive fast forward to normal jog. I don't want to do that, its not very user friendly and so i say again what was wrong with Ofp movment control.

Well, take another hard look at the control optins, with a little trial and error you should be able to set it up just as it was in OFP (see my above post about Turbo).

Btw, just to share my opinion, I use X and C for leaning, it coincides with the default flight (rudder) controls from OFP IMO (well, it makes sense to me and that's all that matters tounge2.gif). Also E is traditionally an action key for other games, so I never use it to lean.

You know, simply pressing your stand up key when you begin running (while crouched) will allow you to sprint without any loss in momentum, just a split second transition anim (still on the move though).

Ok evasive forward is no faster then fast forward, it more less does the same thing. Apart from evasive goes into an automatic sprint from wich you cannot return to jogging unless releasing the the w key. So why are you allowed to sprint from crouch using evasive fast forward but not do the same using fast forward? it makes no sense to have it like this. Ofp movment controls were fine they had a simple set of movement keys. Run was forward w key, sprint was another key (for me hold down left shift) and another key for walk. You could also just sprint from crouch, all this was perfect control. Now introduce evasive fast forward, fast forward, turbo, Ok i have one question WHY?

edit. Wrote a pile of nonsense, sorry.

It doesn't work as well as I had hoped. It will slow you down if you use fastforward rather than evasive but other way around and you get some oddities.

Will play with it some more..

Ok evasive forward is no faster then fast forward, it more less does the same thing. Apart from evasive goes into an automatic sprint from wich you cannot return to jogging unless releasing the the w key. So why are you allowed to sprint from crouch using evasive fast forward but not do the same using fast forward? it makes no sense to have it like this.

You CAN go from crouched directly to sprinting (without using evasive forward), like I said just press stand up right when you begin or in the middle of jogging and if you're holding down fast forward (or Turbo) you will automatically start sprinting (without stopping). But of course you'll be standing when you stop (no biggie though). It's not all that hard, it's just one extra key to press, try it.

Ok evasive forward is no faster then fast forward, it more less does the same thing. Apart from evasive goes into an automatic sprint from wich you cannot return to jogging unless releasing the the w key. So why are you allowed to sprint from crouch using evasive fast forward but not do the same using fast forward? it makes no sense to have it like this.

You CAN go from crouched directly to sprinting (without using evasive forward), like I said just press stand up right when you begin or in the middle of jogging and if you're holding down fast forward (or Turbo) you will automatically start sprinting (without stopping). But of course you'll be standing when you stop (no biggie though). It's not all that hard, it's just one extra key to press, try it.

I know all this already i know you can stand and then begin to sprint. You say its no biggie, but it would do better not to be there. If its not a big thing i'm sure they could fix this easy and it would make for more fluid movement making the gameplay better. A game lives or dies on its gamplay, controls, graphics, and its stability. So far i am let down by controls and stability.

mwa you're right, this isn't possible. I was a bit overexcited about the auto-resprint wink_o.gif Really annoying that a small bump in the terrain makes you stop sprinting and then you have to 2xW when it's flat again...

So, only Evasive Forward will let you get from prone position. But neither Turbo nor Evasive Forward will help you change the pace without stopping.

Fix please.

The obvious thing to do is ask BIS to change Turbo so that it is able to change an Evasive from sprint to run and back.

But fitting in more keybinds is hard. So how about some innovation: when running/sprinting forward, the BACKWARDS key should change the pace. yah. sexeh.

What are you on about now?

Look, evasive forward does the same exact thing as fast forward + stand up. When you stop sprinting after using evasive forward you're standing, because there is no way to sprint while crouched. Evasive forward just forces you to stand up, opposed to fast forward/turbo. You can do the same exact thing as evasive forward by holding down fast forward or turbo and pressing stand up. If you're crouched and you just use fast forward or turbo, you'll enter a jog, but if you stand up at any time during that jog (while still using fast forward or tubro) you'll start sprinting (without stopping), and it's a perfeclty smooth transition. Evasive forward is just a single control that combines two others (sprint and stand up). You can use either method, they do the EXACT same thing. It's not any different from OFP if you know how to set up your controls right, if anything BIS just gave you more options (options, meaning they're optional) to simplify some of the controls.

What are you on about now?

Look, evasive forward does the same exact thing as fast forward + stand up. When you stop sprinting after using evasive forward you're standing, because there is no way to sprint while crouched. Evasive forward just forces you to stand up, opposed to fast forward/turbo. You can do the same exact thing as evasive forward by holding down fast forward or turbo and pressing stand up. If you're crouched and you just use fast forward or turbo, you'll enter a jog, but if you stand up at any time during that jog (while still using fast forward or tubro) you'll start sprinting (without stopping), and it's a perfeclty smooth transition. Evasive forward is just a single control that combines two others (sprint and stand up). You can use either method, they do the EXACT same thing. It's not any different from OFP if you know how to set up your controls right, if anything BIS just gave you more options (options, meaning they're optional) to simplify some of the controls.

Well sorry to be rude but what are you talking about. You cannot set the controls like Ofp was. you say "It's not any different from OFP if you know how to set up your controls" But there is noway at the momment you can set the movement controls like Ofp was. Did you ever play Ofp? if you did then you are either missing the point here or you had your controls setup different from most Ofp players. How come most here are saying its different yet you still don't see it? I played Ofp none stop for 4 years, if that helps you to know that i know what i mean. Why are you continuing down the line that the controls are no different when they are? I have explained it the best i can along with a couple of others here, as to why its different and i'm not going to keep repeating it. Thanks for trying to help, but while you continue to say you can set controls like Ofp, its no help because you can't.

Only got demo, so eh, but here, anything but Evasive is not smooth. Is retail different?

Try change from crouched to sprint with FastFwd/Turbo. Not smooth at all. Does a small stop like when you try to change from Evasive to jog with 2xW->W. And regardless of how you started you're not crouched/prone after exiting evasive so don't give me that.

Animations certainly not smooth like evasive either.

To implement Evasive forward is utter rubbish when you already have a forward sprint and turbo key in the options. Its just ashame this key (sprint forward) wasn't programmed to make it like the (evasive forward) key. Wich would of made life so much easier for how movement should be. In Ofp you could just sprint from a crouch position, jog, run, sprint, and so on, all in on simple fluid movement. That way i could escape any enemy more often then any evasive action key does now, its utter rubbish and has no purpose except to confuse and get you killed.

Dudestar, if you don't like the evasive forward key you don't have to use it. Like I said you can do it with other controls. I still don't see why you're making such a big deal about this either. IMO the ArmA controls offer a lot more freedom in configuring them how you like, and I think they're better than OFP. If you don't think so than so be it, you're used to OFP's limited controls. I'm only trying to tell you that you can change your controls (rather than using the default controls) to be very similar, if not identical to OFP's, and that BIS didn't remove any functionality. Don't give me all your BS about wether I've actually played the games, because I have and I have no problem with either of their controls. And stop being so stubborn, the moves can always be changed with mods/addons, so if you don't like them feel free to work on an improved set.

I'm only trying to tell you that you can change your controls (rather than using the default controls) to be very similar, if not identical to OFP's, and that BIS didn't remove any functionality.

I have already said time and time again THANKYOU for trying to help. But now your posts have gone from you saying "identical to OFP's controls" to been very similar if not identical to Ofp's controls? So now you have lost me again. Wich one is it? You confuse me because you say one thing and come up with another? So i'll repeat. To implement Evasive forward is utter rubbish when you already have a forward sprint and turbo key in the options. Its just ashame this key (sprint forward) wasn't programmed to make it like the (evasive forward) key. Wich would of made life so much easier for how movement should be. In Ofp you could just sprint from a crouch position, jog, run, sprint, and so on, all in on simple fluid movement. That way i could escape any enemy more often then any evasive action key does now, its utter rubbish and has no purpose except to confuse and get you killed.