Sign in to follow this  
KiwisDoFly

Dedicated Servers

Me and a group of people I play with would like to have our own server. The problem is, unfortunately, is that we don't know anything about setting one up.

I was wondering if someone could recommend a provider who supports ArmA? Is there one somewhere in US, or do the server people need to have a copy of the game?

The cost isn't really much of a problem.

Also, is there some kind of a guide to maintaining servers?

I guess you want to rent or join an US demo server.

The problem is that the dedicated server commandline is not working with the demo yet.. So hosting providers or people with high speed connections can't host servers yet.

I think you have wait for a couple of more days, then BI will release the dedicated server .exe file and the people with servers in datacenters etc can host @ last demo servers smile_o.gif

(I am waiting too.. got two servers ready hosted in Amsterdam Redbus to kick some ass wink_o.gif )

I don't think you will find a game hosting service in the US supporting ArmA, yet. The game hasn't been released in English or in the US.

However, that doesn't have to stop you from setting up and hosting an ArmA. Just go the dedicated server route. There are several game hosting sites in the US. Search for "game hosting" or "dedicated server rental" or "server rental" to find them.

I use a company named "Art of War Central". AOWC is a little higher priced for a dedicated server than some of the other game hosting companies, but they have 5 - 6 hosting facilities located around the US. Plus, they list the IP address of servers from each hosting facility so you can test the ping / response from each location. From where I live in New Jersey - I choose to have my dedicated server located in their Virginia location, which had the lowest ping / response time for me, about 34 ms. AOWC tech support is outstanding - I can say enough about how pleased I am with the support I've received when I've had a server / network issue, which has not happened often.

As for setting up a dedicated server - it is not hard. You do need the full game, plus the dedicated server executable. You should get teamspeak to run on your server, even though ArmA has VOIP. Send me an email at rs.server@verizon.net and I will be more than happy to help you setup a dedicated server.

Razor [RS]

Thanks. There is just one thing I'm unclear about. If I do hire a server from someone, the people who actually own the physical box would have to have a copy of ArmA installed, right? Or do I only have to upload the dedicated software and use that?

Which you can upload remotely of course, best to stick them in seperate addon folders incase you ever wanna turn off a particular mod or anything.

The hosting company, AOWC in my case, provided the dedicated server, server OS (Windows server 2003), IIS (web and ftp access), and a network connection. I uploaded the entire game (OFP Resistance in this case), plus the dedicated server executable, and any missions I wanted to play on the server.

ArmA doesn't actually run on the dedicated server. That is why you do not need the ArmA CD loaded in the dedicated server when you run the dedicated server executable. But, you do still need all the ArmA addons and configuration files. The dedicated server executables purpose is to coordinate the game play as seen on each MP players computers. So, when player A shoots the dedicated server will relay that player A shot to player B, C, D, etc. so they see and hear player A's shot.

Hope this helped answer your question.

Razor [RS]