Sign in to follow this  
This kid

Placing soldiers on rooftops

Hi!

I'm trying to place a soldier on top of a building, but he insists on walking off the roof.

I would like for him to stay on the roof and remain *standing* so that he can get shot (soldiers that lie down on roofs can not be seen by a player at ground level).

In order for him to remain standing, even when the shooting starts, I've given him a SENTRY-waypoint with the attribute "careless" and speed "no change". I've also tried GUARD and HOLD, but nothing works.

The waypoint is put directly on top of the unit, so there should be no need for movement. When I do this with a unit on the ground, he stays still, but guys put on the roof wanders off and fall down.

Why? banghead.gif

Any ideas how to solve this?

I've experienced that pain too, too many times. But did you know that you can position soldiers in various places in some buildings. Add a soldier, then place a waypoint directly on the buildings center/name and you'll get an extra dropdown box in the waypoint for positioning him inside or on top.

I've experienced that pain too, too many times. But did you know that you can position soldiers in various places in some buildings. Add a soldier, then place a waypoint directly on the buildings center/name and you'll get an extra dropdown box in the waypoint for positioning him inside or on top.

Its annoying when some of the buildings have 20+ positions and its just a shot in the dark which position is which.

You could also disable AI move.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_unit setUnitPos up

+

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_unit disableAI "MOVE"

Atleast in OFP. (Though, the guy can't be brought back to life, he can't move ever again after starting the script! )

JW

smile_o.gif

EDIT: Found on the Biki:

Quote[/b] ]In ArmA are values set by this command immediately switched back to "AUTO".

Hmm, what does that mean?

Quote[/b] ]In ArmA are values set by this command immediately switched back to "AUTO".

That means, that SetUnitPos command is not working in ArmA sad_o.gif .

It's possible that even the AI functions controls are not working.

I've enjoyed lot of pain with this.

I wanted to keep soldier on his foot, but he was still doing whatever he wanted to banghead.gif .

edit: Deadfast beat me to it smile_o.gif

It means that setunitpos does not work (hope they´ll fix it). I do not know a proper way to make them stand permanently, but I think I saw something about issuing them an order of some kind.

Waypoints just don´t seem to work in urban area. AI goes wondering or runs against the wall if you give him a waypoint like guard (I think it doesn´t even matter what the waypoint is). This can be a matter of meters wheter or not the AI stays put. AI can´t also go between some objects like two houses, or even cars. There is some kind of invisible barrier stopping them reach the waypoint in some locations. However AI does seem to find their waypoints if their can use roads (in the city) or if the area is just "wide" enough. This is really pain in the ass trying to make urban missions.

If you don´t issue any waypoint to an AI it will most likely stay put. If you want to change his combat mode just do it in the unit´s init field (this setbehaviour "safe" for example).

It works now! yay.gif  Thank you!

No, I didn't know buildings has places where you can position soldiers. With that information I now I use waypoints to make the AI units take up predetermined positions on the roof. On Rahmadi position 4, 5 and 6 are the three available corners on the roof. You can send each unit to a specific corner. Very nice.

However, this only works on those buildings which have predefined positions in them. On Rahmadi that is two (2) buildings. Buildings that have no interior, no staircase or other way to get to the roof, have no such positions, and placing units on those rooftops will still make them wander off.

This was fixed by using the "initialising field" command this setBehaviour "careless". The soldier given this command now just stand there, even when enemies start shooting. Until now I had no idea what the init field was for! Thank you! Has there been published any list of commands for the init field? That thing could be very usefull.

Let me just say I'm having SO much fun with ArmA. This is a great game! (Yes, even with the obvious bugs it is still great.) Thank you BIS -- and thank you all guys in the forum for much appreciated help!

errr AI does NOT move without any waypoints no matter what. So forget the waypoints just place an AI unit and he'll automatically be on top and he will not move, they still lay down when they hear shots though sad_o.gif

Any waypoint placed while the unit is on top of a building will result in him walking off no matter where or what the waypoint is. If its on top of an enclosed building such as a water tower they will pace backwards and forwards forever

errr AI does NOT move without any waypoints no matter what.

That's not entirely true, the AI have minds of their own and will wander if they feel the need (especially if they need a medic, ammo, etc..).

If you want to browse large buildings for AI positions, just open the editor and place you and a grouped AI. Enter the building and press F2, then the leader cursor will display nearest 'house position'.

positionqi8.jpg