Sign in to follow this  
DieAngel

someone could make a quick summary

so far i think i understood 3 of the different lods a vehicle use:

-geometry lod (wich is the outside look of the vehicle)

-collision lod (forthe physic engine)

-interior lod (displayed only to the peoples that are inside the vehicle)

now what i wnder is , do we have also to make the different lods for the distance, so the further a vehicle is the simpler it get?

also, is there any corellation between .3DS files, o2 , ingame and real world units?

in other terms is it possible to build at scale 1:1 for arma or do we have to do trials & errors?

also, how many triangles are allright for each lod?

Geometry is the LOD that decides what parts of this model will come in contact with other objects. Say you have the Stryker,give it no geometry and it will pass through everything like a ghost,give it a simply boxy geometry that does not fill in the entire shape,most of it will got through a wall. I think that would take care of the collision,so there wouldn't be a "collision LOD" LOD0-LOD??? is what you see on the outside,ranging from most detailed to lowest detailed. It would be a good idea to make several LOD's,I know I wouldn't want a 9000 faces unit displaying as 9000 faces when I can barely see it. Interior if like OFP probably keeps the 4 seperate "inside" LOD's

Pilot

Gunner

Commander

Cargo

I wouldn't worry so much about the triangles,as long as you stay under 10k if its not a one of a kind unit,there shouldn't be much issue,the engine is extremely flexible when it comes to model detailing.

also i was wondering if there was a way to make a vehicle ave a skeleton, a bit like the player model but different.

I was toying with the idea of building a mech for the fun of it but is such thing even possible?

Quote[/b] ]It would be a good idea to make several LOD's,I know I wouldn't want a 9000 faces unit displaying as 9000 faces when I can barely see it.

Sure, but that needs not be the case necessarily. AFAIK BF2 (and maybe it predecessors) only use one Resolution-LOD and the 3D engine simplifies the model on the fly. Don't believe it? Hugues Hoppe at Microsoft Research has some interesting demos about that stuff: Hugues Hoppe's homepage. Unfortunately it seems to be down at the moment crazy_o.gif