Sign in to follow this  
Jigsaw

How can I win the mission "Big Bang"?

Here's a sidemission that I think is impossible to win:

My team consists of 2 snipers (one of 'em is me) and a demolitions expert. We are supposed to destroy the two Urals packed with explosives, which are parked in the garage. There is also a radio in the base. If an enemy soldier manages to call reinforcements with that radio, the mission is over. And if the soldiers manage to drive one or both of the Urals out of the base, the mission is over either. On top of that the mission is also over when any soldier manages to leave the base on foot. Here's the problem:

My teammates don't seem to have any grasp on the mission critical objectives whatsoever. As a result they kill enemy targets randomly and don't care if someone goes for the garage or the radio. And I can't cover radio and garage at the same time, as they are too far apart. There is also trees surrounding two sides of the compound obstructing soldiers who run for the exits. And the sides with no trees don't allow any view on the garage entrances. Is this mission, which is supposed to make the main mission easier, actually not meant to be won? It sure seems that way. As I said: the teammates are useless for the job.

Or did somebody actually beat that mission, miraculously? If so: how??

i had to think for the mission as well, but the soultion isn't that complicated:

1. Tell 'em to hold fire

2. sniper gets a spot "left" so he faces the garage

3. i myself get into position so i can guard the radio all time

4 the saboteur needs to lay down on the street - this is important, cause he will most probably kill anybody trying to leave the base an is in excellent position if someone tries to drive a ural outside.

i tell 'em to fire when i have the chance to kill 3 guard+officer myself - then i just guard the radio and wait until it's quite+ a short time. Then i enter the base and maybe kill 1-2 guard my mates didnt see and tell the saboteur to place the satchels.

Thanks! That worked perfectly. I somehow had forgotten about the option of telling the men in what direction to look. icon_rolleyes.gif I just did it the other way around: the AI sniper had to watch the radio, while I secured the garages.

I told all to Hold fire and go prone. I placed myself and the other sniper just in front of the crashed blackhawk. the demo man with the Silenced M4 I sent to the front of the camp to cover the exit and take care of anyone who tries to escape (and also later go in and plant charges)

I told all to Open fire, and shot the officer in the back of the head (guy by the radio). I swung my rifle to the left, and shot the two guards standing in front of the garage (one of these go for one of the trucks) . Now I went back and covered the radio and shot a soldier trying to use it. Another soldier ran toward a truck. I tried to shoot him, but missed. Now either shoot through the windows of the truck and kill the driver, or switch to the guy with the M4 and do the same. Clean up in the camp with the snipers and cover the radio, then switch to the M4 guy and blow the trucks. then run to extraction

Hahaha i got annoyed with that mission, so i changed to the sabotage guy, shot the 2 snipers, cruised down to the front of the base, caused enough commotion so that the URALs drove out of the base, where i'd placed a satchel charge on the road, BOOM... i run away, mission complete.

yay.gif

I killed EVERYONE, and if the reinforcements came, killed them too (they got confused and constantly went prone) then blew the whole thing up and ran for my life. Quite easy after you get the grasp of it smile_o.gif

isn't it possible to DESTROY THE RADIO by shooting it?

...it seems more logical than guarding it

i just beat that mission as well, after a number of tries.

i ordered everyone to hold fire and positioned my team in line formation on the ridge just a bit to the right of the Blackhawk wreck.

i took aim at the officer near the radio, ordered my team to open fire and shot the officer.

the team pretty much took care of everyone in the camp and i also picked off a few enemies trying to use the radio.

however, i have never managed to do this without the reinforcements being alarmed. no one used the radio, and i haven't seen anyone escape on foot, either.

the reinforcements are easy to take care of from the ridge position. the sniper opens fire on them automatically, and the saboteur picks off those who come to close.

when it's quiet, i take control of the saboteur and carefully infiltrate the camp. there may still be one or two guys alive from the reinforcements. after the explosives have been placed, leave the camp and regroup, blow the charges and head for the extraction point.

one problem that i had was that the teammates would not respond anymore after having switched from one teammate to the other, and back. when i switched from the teamleader sniper to the saboteur and back, the saboteur was not in the team anymore and could not be given orders. did anyone else notice that?

The way I did it was to set up 2 Snipers on the hill on hold fire looking at the base, then I sneak up behind the garage where the fence is and place a satchel charge on the fence, then I blow the fence and tell my Snipers to open fire while I run through the gap and place charges on both the Urals/kill the driver before he gets in, then run out of the gap again and detonate the charges and leg it to the chopper.

The way I did it was to set up 2 Snipers on the hill on hold fire looking at the base, then I sneak up behind the garage where the fence is and place a satchel charge on the fence, then I blow the fence and tell my Snipers to open fire while I run through the gap and place charges on both the Urals/kill the driver before he gets in, then run out of the gap again and detonate the charges and leg it to the chopper.

how do you put your teamleader sniper on hold fire? i can only give orders when i control the teamleader, and even then i can only give orders to my mates, not myself.

Quote[/b] ]how do you put your teamleader sniper on hold fire? i can only give orders when i control the teamleader, and even then i can only give orders to my mates, not myself.

I seem to remember (its been a while) that I just got my team leader and saboteur to swap their weapons so the team mates have the Sniper Rifles and I use the team leader to get in close.

Quote[/b] ]how do you put your teamleader sniper on hold fire? i can only give orders when i control the teamleader, and even then i can only give orders to my mates, not myself.

I seem to remember (its been a while) that I just got my team leader and saboteur to swap their weapons so the team mates have the Sniper Rifles and I use the team leader to get in close.

clever! notworthy.gif

I've read all this and sill can't do this mission.

I've got to the point of killing everyone in the camp, nobody usese the radio, nobody has escaped. However, a truck still arrives and they kill me.

Just another addition - I managed to finally complete it but I couldn't find any way of telling the sab. guy to plant the explosives on the truck.  So what I did was just tell him to put them on the ground and drove the trucks over them.

Funnily enough one of them had injuries and was crawling along, I got in the chopper and left the 2 guys behind, still completed okay.

I managed to cover the radio and some of the guards stood at the two Urals on this mission while my team took out the other soldiers in the camp.

As the Urals were leaving under fire they both turned 'right' as they came out of the camp instead of using the road, right to where we were positioned. I shot the drivers, then the extraction order was given because the alarm was raised, then the reinforcements turned up so I shot those.

I ordered the satchels to be placed by the two vehicles, blew them up and got the mission completed.

I thought that once the extraction order had been given due to the enemy calling in backup, the mission was a failure? It is supposed to be a stealth mission, isn't it?

Fuzzy Logic

Just another addition - I managed to finally complete it but I couldn't find any way of telling the sab. guy to plant the explosives on the truck.  So what I did was just tell him to put them on the ground and drove the trucks over them.

Funnily enough one of them had injuries and was crawling along, I got in the chopper and left the 2 guys behind, still completed okay.

you can teamswitch to your saboteur.

On this one I remember I ordered the other two guys on the team to concentrate on shooting the Ural drivers which disabled them as they tried to leave the sheds. Then I told them to engage at will any other target in view while I plugged anyone that went near the radio. Eventually we shot the whole lot, even the reinforcements, with the loss of the saboteur on our side. I grabbed his satchel bombs, blew up the Urals then we legged it out to the extraction area with no further intervention.

you can teamswitch to your saboteur.

Apologies for the complete noob question, but how do you teamswitch? I know once you're dead you can do that...

You press "T" and select what team member you want to switch to.

Only problem being, after I switch to the Saboteur, the team leader opens fire as does the other sniper and all hell breaks loose!!.

Tried making sure they are both set to "Hold fire" before switching but it doesnt seem to help.

This mission looks fun, but its very tricky.

Quote[/b] ]I seem to remember (its been a while) that I just got my team leader and saboteur to swap their weapons so the team mates have the Sniper Rifles and I use the team leader to get in close.

How do you get them to swap weapons?.

Only problem being, after I switch to the Saboteur, the team leader opens fire as does the other sniper and all hell breaks loose!!. Tried making sure they are both set to "Hold fire" before switching but it doesnt seem to help.

That is a complete pain and I'm sure it is wrong, it's exactly the reason why I don't use the Team Switch option.

After carefully setting up my teams positions and priorities on this mission I 'tried' a team swap to my saboteur and my team leader suddenly started barking out orders to everyone and all hell broke loose, completely ruining everything in the process.

The Rambo AI obviously doesn't know what the mission requires, so I think you should assume the leaders role when switching in my opinion.

the problem with this mission is the fact that one of the snipers is the team leader. consequently, you can't order him to hold fire at all.

now, unless you do that switch weapons thing someone suggested above, you have to remain in control of the team leader for the time being.

this means that you have to provide sniper cover yourself. so simply set up your team on the ridge while holding fire. once ready, order everyone to open fire and target the important enemies yourself (the officer, the drivers, everyone that tries to use the radio).

now to teamswitching. only teamswitch once all enemies in the vicinity are dead. this will probably inculde the reinforcements as you might not be able to prevent their arrival.

when all seems clear, teamswitch to your saboteur, enter the camp carefully as there might still be a few soldiers alive, blow the vehicles and get the hell out.

you'll probably not be able to reach the extraction point with your complete team as you can't give orders as the saboteur, and the team won't respond anymore when you switch back to the team leader (the second sniper probably will, but the saboteur won't).

it doesn't matter, though, just reach the chopper and it's all good. i hope that covered everything.

I seem to remember (its been a while) that I just got my team leader and saboteur to swap their weapons

How do you swap weapons please guys?

I seem to remember (its been a while) that I just got my team leader and saboteur to swap their weapons

How do you swap weapons please guys?

i don't know how Mike did it, but i think there's only one possible approach (correct me if i'm wrong). you can access your inventory (G) and drop everything you have on you.

you do that with both soldiers (as you can teamswitch at any time), then pick up the other guy's weapons and vice versa.

Yeah that's how I did it, I just told them to drop their weapons in the action menu then picked theirs up and told them to pick up the one I just dropped.

Yeah that's how I did it, I just told them to drop their weapons in the action menu then picked theirs up and told them to pick up the one I just dropped.

that's even more elegant, and probably necessary as teamswitching would result in the AI not responding to your commands anymore.