Sign in to follow this  
Novusordo

How do I change the sounds?

I'm disgusted with the sounds in ArmA and I can do a 10x better job and so I downlaoded that pbo unpacker that guy made recently and proceeded to unpack the sounds.pbo file in C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\AddOns and found a load of bloody wss files and cannot open them. Firstly where the hell are the wav files stored and secondly why can't I find the weapon sounds?

Please help me cos theres something init for you all - decent sound for ArmA yay.gif

EDIT:

Ah I found the weapon sounds there in C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\AddOns\weapons\sound but again, they are in stupid wss format. I presume the wav files will be within these? If so what app do I need to be able to repack these wss files with the wavs I want?

Excellent! Thanks you! I shall see how I go with this yay.gif

EDIT:

This works flawlessly!

Only problem though is that the sounds have a hissing distortion to them. Why is that?

EDIT:

Ah one problem - how do I repack the wss files back into pbo files so I can test the sounds in-game?

EDIT:

Ohh I use the same tool I used to extract them lol! Now I'm in business xmas_o.gif

i've never seen such a piss poor packing structure and file naming in all my life. No wonder this game plays so shit having to wade through so many poorly made file structures.

OMFG will someone from Bohemia tell me what the names mean?

Theres like 15 explosion_big and 15 small, mega, large, ect ect. Which damm ones are for AT4 explosion RPG, ect ect?huh.gif

OMG I cant even hear the damm things cos they all have distortion to them. FFS.

How about you take a different approach and look at config.bin for ammo/weapon you want to modify sound for since full sound file path is listed there.

Ok I opened the config.bin with eliteness and although the layout is a complete mess, I have just managed to make some consitent sense out of it.

So how exactly can I change the wav's through this file? Do you mean I can hange the paths to the wavs? But woulden't that mean having to have them loose in the folders and not within a pbo package?

And yea thanks now I can kind of workout what weapon uses what sound, but even that is not exactly clear icon_rolleyes.gif

distant explosions sounds great, the distant gunfire sounds just like in arma, those sounds needs more of a transient.

But the close distant gunshots sounds awesome...

I really hope we'll hear something like this in arma, but I'm diubtful.

If someone would make a sound mod based on the sound of the FDF mod, that would be great!

Listen to the sounds in this video. THATs what Armed Assault should sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_pV7xizdZg

That is not possible since we are not going to give permission to use FDF sounds in any other project than FDF mod itself.

But don´t worry FDF mod for Armed Assault is coming and sounds are on our list of things to do. wink_o.gif

Goeth, I love you and your team smile_o.gif

That just made me alot more hopeful about the future of arma wink_o.gif

OH MY GOD those sounds were incredible! I loved the M16 and the distant sounds yay.gif

OpFlash was the first PC game I ever played, along with Commandos 2. If I had known that modding communities exist around PC games at the time, I would of most certainly got involved. Looks like I missed out on a lot with good old Op Flash but like they say u dont miss what u never had rofl.gif

When will it be ready for ArmA do u know? I cannot wait yay.gif

In the mean time my sound mod is coming along well and should be out within a few days.

What package method do u use to release sound mods? Do ya just release the edited sounds pbo file? Cheers.

I am working on a sound mod, too.

Weapon sounds, that is.

How do I create a decent AddOn?

Extracted the weapons.pbo, unRap'd the config.bin, changed some entries and replaced sounds...

Do I have to repack the whole weapons.pbo or is there any way to make a small add-on for the weapons.pbo just replacing some files?

thats what I want to know too cos the weapons.pdo file which contains the sounds is nearly 300mb and I am only changing about 70MB worth.

I've got most of the sounds made but what really needs doing is sorting out the distant sounds and the way the engine behaves. For example you shoulden't be able to hear engines so clearly from so far and there is alot of distortion and horrible behaviours sometimes.

Where would I go to sort it out? In the config-bin file? is so which settings???

That is not possible since we are not going to give permission to use FDF sounds in any other project than FDF mod itself.

But don´t worry FDF mod for Armed Assault is coming and sounds are on our list of things to do. wink_o.gif

That's a shame. Your sounds are the best I've heard in any shooter, including the already very good sound competitors "Battlefield 2" and "Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter".

I'm definitely looking forward to FDF for Arma! Still... it would be cool to be able using those sounds in the out-of-the-box missions. Or is it possible? I have to admit that I've never tried FDF for Operation Flashpoint as I (literally) heard about it for the first time only yesterday, when I stumbled upon that video on an ArmA fan site. I think I give it a shot. OpFlash isn't dead, yet. It simply got reinforcements in the form of "Armed Assault", is all.

Right I've repalced all the explosion sounds with far, far better ones. They are sharp, loud and are much closer to the real thing.

I want to move onto small arms now but I'm seriously lacking in that department so I'd be grateful if anyone could donate me some nice firing sounds. They must sound realistic.

I'm definitely looking forward to FDF for Arma! Still... it would be cool to be able using those sounds in the out-of-the-box missions. Or is it possible? I have to admit that I've never tried FDF for Operation Flashpoint as I (literally) heard about it for the first time only yesterday, when I stumbled upon that video on an ArmA fan site. I think I give it a shot.

Yes, if you run standard OFP missions with FDFmod enabled new sounds are there. There's no reason why it wouldn't be same way in ArmA as well.

I'm definitely looking forward to FDF for Arma! Still... it would be cool to be able using those sounds in the out-of-the-box missions. Or is it possible? I have to admit that I've never tried FDF for Operation Flashpoint as I (literally) heard about it for the first time only yesterday, when I stumbled upon that video on an ArmA fan site. I think I give it a shot.

Yes, if you run standard OFP missions with FDFmod enabled new sounds are there. There's no reason why it wouldn't be same way in ArmA as well.

That's good news smile_o.gif

Guys, tell me what u think...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oa_337dgyTs

That's quite good! I still miss the last bit of "WHAM!" factor on the gun of the player. I'm thinking the movie "Heat", if you know what I mean. Could be just the video, though. Anyway, keep up the good work! With some more tweaking you could provide a real good soundpack. smile_o.gif

what exactly is it u dont like? just the M4 bang?

The bang itself is fine. I just think the sound of the own gun should be a bit louder. But maybe it really is the video.

Listen to that: one of the most realistic shootouts in film history. Only topped by the showdown in "Way of the Gun":

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pZIdfml4_EM

yea i know it does need more power to it but it's the best i've got at the moment confused_o.gif

again if anyone has any good quality shot waves on there HDD somewhere, please let me have them huh.gif

EDIT: That firefight was UNREAL! OMG I diden't know hollywood had a grasp on reality like that.

I have no knowledge of how guns should sound or what so ever.

But if the sounds in that movie are realistic you have to keep in mind its also a ff between some high buildings, so the sound is reflected by the building and tear up how they really sound.

In my opinion without trying to sound as a smartass you better compare the sounds you make to sounds of some recorded fightings.

There a loads of videos available on youtube and similair video sites.

Like I said, not trying to tell you are doing it wrong, cause I liked the way you edited the sounds, just trying to point you add reflecting real life sounds should be done by comparing it to real life footage, not some movie.

smile_o.gif

[EDIT]

Oops, I didnt see the TS and the guy comparing it to the movie were actually 2 different persons..............

Sorry.

Of course the sound reflection properties of a city are different of those in the countryside. But you have both in Armed Assault, so in the game the amount of echo should be somewhere in between.

btw: you can consider the scenes from the movie as real life footage, as the sound you hear in that video was recorded right there at the scene while filming with real guns (loaded with blanks of course). The sounds have not been added later on in the soundstudio. It's the real deal you're hearing there.

i was a cadet for 3 years in the light infantry. fired sa-80 and the LSW varient of many times outdoors.

coulden't tell u wot they sound like upclose cos u wear ear muffs lol.

from a distance they sound like loud fireworks and from a great distance they sound like fire crackers.

actually i have heard them kind of upclose but not operating them so I know what real guns sound like that's why I always use the sharpest, loudest bangs I can get.