Sign in to follow this  
eyes

DX8.1 crashes Flashpoint

I just updated to DirectX 8.1 and now Flashpoint has started crashing. I don't get any kind of error it just returns me straight to the desktop.

It seems to happen randomly. First it happened when the menu loaded then after a reboot it happened in a cutscene (which incidently made the Red Hammer campaign think I was still on the previous mission so Ihad to do it again). Next it happened at the begginging of a mission and finally halfway through the Rage mission when I clicked save.

This is very frustrating, anyone know a fix?

I haven't used official DX 8.1, but late betas only and with those I had more or less lock up problems.

OFP could have locked occasionally.. perhaps couple times a week.

Max payne then again from first minute up to hour.

uninstalled dx 8.1b and installed 8a.. and not really confident to try dx 8.1, even though those aren't beta anymore.. just because 8a works wink.gif

Do you get any kind of error message?

I have DX8.1 and OFP runs fine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from eyes on 8:11 pm on Dec. 30, 2001

I just updated to DirectX 8.1 and now Flashpoint has started crashing. I don't get any kind of error it just returns me straight to the desktop.

<span id='postcolor'>

I take it that since installing DX8.1, you've rebooted your PC.

Run DX's test utility DXDIAG.EXE and make sure that no errors are reported.

Check whether new drivers are available for you video and sound card.

Run the OFP preferences program and click on AUTODETECT.

Run OFP. It it still crashes, go back to the OFP preferences program. If DISPLAY DEVICE is set to an HW T&L setting, change it to a non-HW T&L setting and try again.

Finally, browse file Flashpoint.rpt in your OFP directory, to see if there's a report on the last crash that occurred. If it's something obvious, try to correct the problem. Otherwise, you'll have to contact BIS.

I have rebooted (doesn't it force you to anyway?).

I have just gone up from 22.08 to 22.11 nvidia detonator drivers so I'll see if that helps.

There is an error reported in the dxdiag that didn't use to be there, it's under input and says:

Problems were found in the system registry.  Details are available in the saved text file.

I think it concerns either serwave.vxd (conexant s/w modem) or emu10k1f.sys (creative sb).

Not sure what to do about it tho, it's not like I use any dx input devices like a joystick or wheel.

I'd rather not turn off h/w t&l especially as they've finally made it so buildings collapse.

here's the last entry in the rpt file

=====================================================================

== C:\PROGRAM FILES\CODEMASTERS\OPERATIONFLASHPOINT\OPERATIONFLASHPOINT.EXE

=====================================================================

Exe version: Fri Dec 21 19:55:12 2001

file:     22Sabotage

world:    cain

campaign: redhammer

battle:   Part5

mission:  22Sabotage

=======================================================

Date: 12/30/01  Time: 16:20:30

-------------------------------------------------------

file:     22Sabotage

world:    cain

campaign: redhammer

battle:   Part5

mission:  22Sabotage

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION

Fault address:  004B88AB 01:000B78AB C:\PROGRAM FILES\CODEMASTERS\OPERATIONFLASHPOINT\OPERATIONFLASHPOINT.EXE

Version 1.40

Fault address:  004B88AB 01:000B78AB C:\PROGRAM FILES\CODEMASTERS\OPERATIONFLASHPOINT\OPERATIONFLASHPOINT.EXE

Prev. code bytes: 00 5F 5E C9 C2 14 00 D9 05 F0 C9 6A 00 C2 0C 00

Fault code bytes: D9 01 D8 1D 60 C9 6A 00 DF E0 F6 C4 41 75 04 33

Registers:

EAX:006C6BBD EBX:108FFF88

ECX:00000002 EDX:00000008

ESI:117D5FF0 EDI:0099F88C

CS:EIP:0177:004B88AB

SS:ESP:017F:0099F720  EBP:0099F878

DS:017F  ES:017F  FS:12DF  GS:0000

Flags:00010202

=======================================================

So any idea? Thanks for the help so far.

Looking at that info, it looks like you crashed in the OFP program file itself, and not in one of the DirectX DLLs. Also, I have played OFP under DirectX 8.1 under both Windows 2000 and Windows XP without any problems.

OK so if you think it's not due dx, what could suddenly cause it to dump to desktop, thre or four times in one day on two seperate boots when it hasn't done that for ages is very suspect.

System specs?

Try installing DX81. in safe mode.

(Edited by Desloc at 2:17 am on Dec. 31, 2001)

I'm not sure that it will even install in Safe Mode.

And what would be the point, you need it to work in Non-Safe Mode, and that's when the problem occurs.

The only addon I have is the winter addon with vehicles

I installed that about a week ago and it ran fine since. Only started messing up today.

System specs:

AMD Athlon 1Ghz

Asus A7V mobo

Geforce 2 mx 400 - 22.08 drivers at time of crash now 22.11

512mb pc133 ram

Two more suggestions:

1. Manually set your Windows virtual swap file's maximum size to 1000.

2. Get those DX errors you mentioned corrected, especially if one of them involves your sound card.

Hmm..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">theavonlady Posted on 8:46 am on Dec. 31, 2001

Two more suggestions:

1. Manually set your Windows virtual swap file's maximum size to 1000.

<span id='postcolor'>.

I just have to ask...(i´ve seen this answer before) why should this correct the problem? Is this some general thing everybody should do? Thankful for any answer....

(Edited by Sandman at 1:48 pm on Dec. 31, 2001)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Sandman on 2:48 pm on Dec. 31, 2001

I just have to ask...(i´ve seen this answer before) why should this correct the problem? Is this some general thing everybody should do?

<span id='postcolor'>

Even on systems with plenty of RAM, OFP has been known to CTD due to lack of memory. This often manifests itself at mission save and termination points. Setting the swap file's max size way up easily resolves these cases.

I doubt that is the same case here. The player reported that it now happened when he clicked SAVE. Admittedly, this suggestion is a hip shot.

I had CTD´s before (I only had 128 mB RAM in my machine) but since i updated to 384 mB i havent had a single one...

To me it seems that certain machines and constallations have a problem with the H/W t&l feature. I dont use this feature and it runs just fine.

Eyes! Try to disable this feature and make a couple of tries. I´m guessing this is your problem (in any case you could rule this one out this if it still doesnt work) smile.gif

(Edited by Sandman at 2:14 pm on Dec. 31, 2001)

I can get OFP to work with 48 megs PC100 ram on a 300 mhz with a 4 meg ATI Rage Pro with TV out

the swap is at 0 min and max 1000

it never crashes!

I can see only 25 objects but hey it works!!!!

(DirX 8.1)

Compaq 2256 lol

Re Swapfile:

Mine is set at a minimum of 512 and a max of 1024.

Re H/W T&L:

I've ALWAYS played the game with T&L (since version 1) and it's never caused me problems before.

The only thing I've changed is going from DX 8 to 8.1.

I've got some time to play again (till my girlfriend comes round and I have to stop :biggrin: ) so I'll see if the problem recurs of if it was just one of those random things that happen occaisionaly.

Oh and what can I do to resolve the dxdiag reported error?

By the way, how do you uninstall DirectX to go back to a previous version? I have 8.1, and since the install I have the Occasional freeze in this and IL2-Sturmovik and UT.

(P3 @933, 384Mb, GeForce 3, WinME).

Cheers,

Dave.

I'm using Win2k Pro SP 2 and its now rebooting my pc, instead of CTD.. Any ideas? Its only doing this when playing OFP...

Got 512mb RAM, with T&L disabled.. Latest Detonator drivers for my Creative Geforce 2 Pro and Directx8.1

Did you run DXDiag?

Do you have the latest drivers for your sound card?

Just shooting from the hip.

Do you have the lastest VIA 4.37 drivers installed?

If I were you I'd do this...

Remove video card drivers, reboot.

Remove sound card drivers, reboot.

Install Via drivers in safe mode, reboot.

Install DX 8.1 in safe mode, reboot.

Install latest sound card drivers, reboot.

Install video card drivers, reboot.

What difference does it make if you are in safe mode when you install drivers?