Sign in to follow this  
Journeyman

Which pointing device do you use?

I was stuck with using a trackball once and it was truly awful.

Even worse, I had one of those damn "ergonomic/natural" keyboards as well... wow... what an awful combination it was...

Just out of interest what sort of trackball was it? One of these or one of these?

For me moving my thumb around on a ball is a lot easier and more natural than pushing a plastic rodent around on a pad!  tounge2.gif

Hell, I'm still using a vanilla Logitech-mouse from 00/01 or something. It's not even optical, and has two buttons and a buttonable (?) mousewheel. If I can avoid it, I'll never change to an optical mouse. They are so... slippery.

Mouse for me, although I've tried a trackball. Just never got around it, it was only once so... seemed like a nice device though, maybe I could invest in one.

Still using the non-wireless optical mouse that came with the PC, so that's 2-3 years for it now... it had a matte grey finish on it's sides but now you can pretty much see through it... gives a nice effect with the red light though. tounge2.gif

Also, about the left-right hand issue, I'm actually a right handed but atleast for gaming, I use my left hand. Just couldn't go with WASD and sticked to my arrow keys, propably the main reason. Pretty useful, as I can use Ctrl-Shift combie for movement and most of Numpad keys with single hand while keeping the other on mouse.

I don't use the WASD keys either even though I am right handed, I just can't get used to them! I just move the keyboard over to the left a bit so I can 'left hand' the arrow keys! Hmmm! Maybe I should do a pole about WASD vs, arrow keys! ... Or just throw your preferences into this thread?  wink_o.gif

The impression that I get so far is that over 40% of gamers have never used anything other than a standard mouse and those that have tried a trackball have maybe not given it a chance! I wonder what the figures would be if every PC that was made came with a trackball by default! Head-Spin.gif

I used to use Trackballs for gaming and both for everything else. I've had to use a mouse recently becuse there aren't as many trackballs for sale as they used to be.

--Ben

I used to use Trackballs for gaming and both for everything else.  I've had to use a mouse recently becuse there aren't as many trackballs for sale as they used to be.

--Ben

Yea, that is one of my gripes! If you take a product away from stores people cannot have a chance to try it. They are available on the net though, although that does not help those that have never used one and would like to try one out for size! Many friends and family have tried mine and say: "cool where did you get that from?"

Tried one, but having been brought up on the conventional mouse, all I can say is that habits die hard.