Sign in to follow this  
Zander

P3d to 3ds and 3ds to p3d

i would like to edit an existing ofp model in 3dsmax, how do i get the 3d model and textures from p3d, paa and pac files ?

i will have to convert it again to p3dn paa and pac after edited

thanks

isnt there another way to do it ?

is it the only program to extract 3d model and textures ?

afaik there is but only few know how and those who do don't want to tell anybody confused_o.gif

At.'s post is definitly the way to go... thats the only one that keeps the textures (that i know of). P2ms is efficient, never had a single problem with it. but be aware of the limitations...

you will loose the sharp/soft edges on the process...

and i have seen p3ds going to 3dsmax users (i'm not one) to be mapped and coming back all messed up - might have been the 3ds max user who made a mistake though...

but yeah in any case you keep the textures but loose the sharp and soft edges plus the squared faces (one face for 4 vertex) if i'm not mistaken ? (they do get converted to two triangular faces instead if i'm right)

@ dante : oh my god dude... i think that p3d2obj is that ancient tool used before o2 to edit p3ds... you have got to be the last person on this planet to use it lol wink_o.gif

yeah, but it works fine. in fact i use it 1 time in a year. tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

for the problem with the soft and hard edges, yeah, there is often a problem when i import a file from 3dsmax. but now in fact i make all that stuff in wings3d + autosmooth, and in max, i make just autosmooth, and it's almost good in o2. i just need to sharp or smooth some edges. smile_o.gif it's not perfect, because i don't know exactly, how to use oxygen. tounge2.gif

Whatever you do, when converting from MLOD to 3DSMax it will break selections because there is no support for that kind of functionality in 3DSMax apart from breaking up each selection into distinct object - but that causes all kinds of problems in itself when editing models.