Sign in to follow this  
Wabbit

Help with Intro Cutscene and Waypoints?

I'm trying to fix a mission that I created about 4 years ago before I dropped off the world. Now that I'm back, I've found that my newer, faster computer does weird things to my intro cutscene.

I had made a really nice cinematic style cutscene by using waits (~5, etc.) in my script. As I understand it, this is not the right way to do this, and I should somehow use triggers and synchronized waypoints.

I have no idea how to do this and I can't find a tutorial to explain it to me. Can anyone help me?

As an example, there are about 10 different scenes in the intro. On my old PC, I set the wait in the scripts long enough so that all the vehicles were in place when the cutscene moved to the correct camera.

But now, running on a faster PC, I see that that the vehicles must have already moved on, so they don't show up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Use the condition field of Waypoints. Instead of "true" by default, use global boolean variables initialized to false. In your script, set them to true in order to move the vehicles to the following waypoints.

Use the condition field of Waypoints. Instead of "true" by default, use global boolean variables initialized to false. In your script, set them to true in order to move the vehicles to the following waypoints.

Ok, let me see if I get this:

Open the waypoint and change the text in the "Condition" box from "True" to "False"?

Then, in my cutscene script (intro.sqs), before it starts the cam in a certain scene, make a line that changes the condition of the waypoint to "true"? I'll have to find something that shows how to do that, if that's correct.

Thanks for the help!

Nearly, but not quite.

In your init.sqs

var1=false

In the Condition field of the waypoint

var1

At the start of the mission the boolean variable var1 is false. When the group arrives there it is still false so the group waits. When the time is right, in your script you have

var1=true

Ok, I tried what you said, and it makes sense, and it seems to work, but I've still got a couple problems:

Scene5 shows a helo flying in to pick up some people. It starts with one scene of the helo flying by, then another scene of the helo landing. This one now seems to be working, as far as seeing the helo, and seems to work well, but a couple times, while testing, the helo crashed while landing. Kinda spoils the story line...

The other problem, and a much bigger problem is Scene6, which is suposed to show the UH60 (a different one, in a different location) flying low over a Shilka, which opens fire. The problem is, I can't seem to get the timing right, and I want to catch the helo just as it flies over and the Shilka turret traverses and starts firing on the helo. I'd like the helo to look like it is damaged, but not totally destroyed.

Unfortunately, the Shilka seems to destroy the helo before the scene even opens...

Any idea what is going wrong on this?

Thanks!

Remove all the ammo of the shilka, it will target the chopper but will be unable to fire. Place a machinegunner near the shilka in "CARELESS" mode, check the distance between the chopper and the shilka, once it is closer than 150m (for example), switch the mode of the machinegunner to "AWARE", it will fire against the chopper but will be unable to destroy it, being so close to the shilka, it will seem it is the shilka firing instead the machinegunner.

Alternatively, make the chopper setCaptive true so that the Shilka doesn't shoot at it. Use an invisible target addon as the Shilka target, and use a setPos loop to keep it in the right place relative to the chopper.