Sign in to follow this  
bennie1983nl

Invasion of Holland 1940

Hi every one!  smile_o.gif

UPDATE :

Sunday 1 oktober 23.15(dutch time)

our IOH team are cooperating with the invasion of europe mod, King Tiger is working on the dutch infantry.

I am very greatfull that he and his team offer there help for the mod

help.gif

I wanne start to make a Mod or a campaign about invasion of Holland at the start of WW2 in 1940.

Especaily about the German Paratroopers AKA Fallschirmjägers

A little bit of history  with the Fallschirmjägers Operations

orig2.jpg

Holland - Operation May 1940

Background

As the plans for the attack on Belgium were being planned, so was plans to attack Holland. The Germany Army planned to move quickly through the low countries on the way to attack France from the north. In Holland were many key objectives such as airfields and bridges. Once again the Fallschirmjäger would be called upon to capture and hold these objectives until the main body of German forces would relieve them.

Units

1st Fallschirmjäger Regiment - 1st(I/FJR1), 2nd(II/FJR1), and 3rd(III/FJR1) Battallions.

2nd Fallschirmjäger Regiment - 1st(I/FJR2) Battallion.

47th Infantry Regiment, 22nd Airlanding Division - 47th Inf. Rgt.

The Plan

I/FJR1 and II/FJR1 were to capture the Dordrecht and Moerdijk bridges. III/FJR1 was to capture the airfield at Waalhaven. I/FJR2 and the 47th Inf. Rgt were to capture the airfields at Valkenburg, Ypenburg and Ockenburg. They were then to move onto the Hague and try to capture the Dutch Royal family.

The Battle

I/FJR1 and II/FJR1 jumped and secured the Dordrecht and Moerdijk bridges. Fighting was severe with the Dordrecht Bridge exchanging hands. More German forces arrived and the bridges were eventually secured. The Moerdijk bridge was captured and held until German Army elements arrived some days later.

At the Waalhaven airfield III/FJR1 landed near the airfield and proceeded to engage the Dutch forces. As time past elements of the 22nd Airlanding Division started to land on the airfield on their Ju52s. Shorly thereafter the airfield was secured for other forces to arrive.

II/FJR2 landed near the 3 airfields and under orders to capture the Dutch Royal family at the Hague. Valkenburg was captured but fighting ensued as Dutch forces fought to regain the airfield. At Ypenburg the Fallschirmjäger were surrounded. The forces tasked to fly into the airfield were prevented from doing so by accurate AA fire and debris on the airfield. At Ockenburg the situation was not any better. The Fallschirmjäger and elements of the Airlanding Division were encountering fierce resistance. Many aircraft were destroyed trying to bring reinforcements into the airfield. It was decided to call off the attack on the Hague. German Fallschirmjäger troops fell back slowly to Rotterdam where they encountered German ground forces.

Wrap Up

The airfields and objectives were seized relatively quickly but fierce resistance from the enemy showed that in most cases the Fallschirmjäger would only be able to hold on so long before needing to be relieved. The lack of necessary heavy weapons made prolonged resistance very difficult in the face of a determined enemy, like the Dutch troops that were encountered.

ops40holland.jpg

German Fallschirmjäger

German bombers attack Holland at 03.55 on May 10th. The target was Waalhaven airfield to the south of Rotterdam. One hour later, a battalion of paratroopers was dropped onto the airfield. Dutch troops based in Waalhaven put up fierce resistance but it was in vain. As with all early blitzkrieg attacks, the Germans had the element of surprise. While Waalhaven was being taken - a perfect base for the Luftwaffe to use - more paratroopers landed at Dordrecht, ten miles to the south-east of Waalhaven. Their task was to capture a vital bridge in the town. Such a prize would greatly assist the Germans ability to move vehicles in their assault on Holland.

As a result of the waterways that dissect Holland, small naval craft played a part in the attempts to stop the invasion. They had been reasonably successful but only delayed the inevitable. However, their perceived success persuaded the Commander-in Chief of the Royal Netherlands Navy, Vice-Admiral Fürstner, that more ships should be sent to the inland waterways to attack the Germans. To this end the destroyer 'Van Galen' was sent up the Nieuwe Waterweg - and became an easy target for German bombers. The narrow waterways ended any chance the destroyer had of changing her course - she was essentially stuck in the Nieuwe Waterweg. Though the 'Van Galen' did not receive a direct hit, many near misses had done much damage to the ship and she limped into Merwedeharbour incapable of continuing the fight. Though the journey of the 'Van Galen' had been futile, it typified the attempts by the Dutch to fight off the enemy.

The Dutch Air Force did the same. The airfield at Waalhaven was attacked four times by the Dutch (after it had fallen to the Germans) and many German planes were lost. But, despite their bravery, it was only inevitable that the Germans would be victorious. By the end of May 10th, the Germans had captured Waalhaven airbase and the vital bridge at Dordrecht. The southern sector of Rotterdam had been occupied and the Germans were in the perfect position to attack the heart of Holland's most important commercial centre. Waalhaven was used to bring in German troops - this was achieved by 250 Junkers 52 transport planes bringing in troops.

Holland was an irritation in the great scheme of the attack on France. The sooner the Germans could take out Holland, the sooner they could concentrate all their resources on France. For this reason, they wanted to shock the politicians of Holland into surrendering. Rotterdam was the pay the price for this. The Germans decided to launch a ferocious attack on Rotterdam that would have such an impact, that the government of Holland would initiate a surrender.

On May 14th, the attack on Rotterdam started. The Germans used the excuse for such an attack that British troops had landed by the Maas River, thus endangering German troops based in the area. No such landing had taken place by the British. The attack started at 13.30 and within five hours, the Germans entered the centre of Rotterdam. There were 30,000 civilian casualties.

Over the next two days, the Germans conquered the rest of Holland. However, they did meet with resistance especially at the Ypenburg and Ockenburg air bases. At Ypenburg, 11 German transport planes were shot down out of a total of 13. Such was the ferocity of the defenders at Ockenburg, that German transport planes landed on the soft sand dunes that were near to the air base.

Despite all their heroics, the Dutch Air Force lost 62 planes out of 125 on May 10th alone. Despite such losses, they continued attacking the Germans and inflicting damage up until Holland surrendered. For their valour, the Dutch Air Force was awarded the Militaire Willemforce - the Dutch equivalent of the Victoria Cross.

The threat to bomb Utrecht, persuaded the Dutch government to surrender. On May 14th, a message was sent out to all Dutch forces to lay down their arms. Commanders were ordered to stop fighting and to destroy all ammunition. Skirmishes continued until May 16th

Dutch soldiers

infanterist_vz.jpg

Infantary soldaat

officier_buitenmodel_voor.jpg

Officer

infantryuf4.th.jpg

To be onest to you al I need alot of Mod-members or mod-crew,

like model makers and island makers!

Well is somebody interrested? welcome.gif

WE NEED A ISLAND-MAKER!

or a city builder

My e-mail adres also my MSN swatben17@hotmail.com thumbs-up.gif

ATstwalker made a Fallschirmjäger early war troops and equipement.

http://www.storiamilitare.org/fsj/downloads.php

for Holland weapons, Vilas made the Schwarzalose MG, and the Manlicher M95 rifle, both weapons used for the dutch Army (also we can find Fallschirmjäger).

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/ftp/vilaspack1.rar

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/ftp/vilaspack2.rar

will be nice found new allied units (p.d: made too the Dutch Colonial troops for the Eastern Indias)

FDF mod has a Fokker D-21. Perhaps you can ask them if you can use it.

I believe I've seen a Fokker G-1 and a JU-52 too, can't remember who or where.

Good luck & greetings from Delft  smile_o.gif

Hi, this is a good idea, but if you want to use paratroopers I would suggest something like normandy or battle of the bulge, for this most addons already exists and a normandy map or generic winter map can be used. Bridges and paratroopers can sometimes be a real pain in OFP.

I think there were "Fallschirmjäger" in the INV44 demo

THANKS

I must get in contact with him

hello bennie1983nl smile_o.gif

i'm glad to have found an OFP fan interested to early FsJ

my msn: atstwalker@hotmail.it

btw.. the k98 added on my Fsj basic pack it was sightscope bugged, i've found the bug and i'll try to release a v1.2 in these days smile_o.gif

At thumbs-up.gif

Cool idea, only I dont like to get uber pwned by germans all the time while playing Dutch troops! rofl.gif

Cool idea, only I dont like to get uber pwned by germans all the time while playing Dutch troops! rofl.gif

In places like Rotterdam (excluding the bombing), Nijmegen or at the Grebbeberg the Dutch troops were certainly not "pwned" wink_o.gif

ATstwalker made a Fallschirmjäger early war troops and equipement.

http://www.storiamilitare.org/fsj/downloads.php

for Holland weapons, Vilas made the Schwarzalose MG, and the Manlicher M95 rifle, both weapons used for the dutch Army (also we can find Fallschirmjäger).

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/ftp/vilaspack1.rar

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/ftp/vilaspack2.rar

will be nice found new allied units (p.d: made too the Dutch Colonial troops for the Eastern Indias)

thank PEPE

Cool idea, only I dont like to get uber pwned by germans all the time while playing Dutch troops!  rofl.gif

In places like Rotterdam (excluding the bombing), Nijmegen or at the Grebbeberg the Dutch troops were certainly not "pwned" wink_o.gif

Heh, for a small, badly trained army with pre-WW1 equipment they did pretty well smile_o.gif

I like the idea of this mod, the only thing you really need are the dutch troops and a part of holland (from rotterdam to amsterdam, would be doable on a smaller scale, 10:1 or something, and the cities smaller ofcourse), everything else has been made already (or almost everything)

Hi, this is a good idea, but if you want to use paratroopers I would suggest something like normandy or battle of the bulge, for this most addons already exists and a normandy map or generic winter map can be used. Bridges and paratroopers can sometimes be a real pain in OFP.

they are BUT they have weapons of a later stage of the war

like the FG42 rifle

and uniforms

I've noticed a great demand in early-war units, particularly the Germans. Any chance there could be an alliance between several mods to take care of the 1938/9 - 1940/1 units?

I've noticed a great demand in early-war units, particularly the Germans. Any chance there could be an alliance between several mods to take care of the 1938/9 - 1940/1 units?

we have early war germans ( no panzers a the moment)...... we are looking for or we will make dutch forces

IIRC Liberation 41-45 has already made a number of those early war german units. The Fallschirmjäger in the Invasion 1944 demo (of the Sicily project) are dated 1944, and not really suited to a campaign that takes place in 1940.

Quote[/b] ]...... we are looking for or we will make dutch forces

Edit: start making, they've never been made before wink_o.gif

IIRC Liberation 41-45 has already made a number of those early war german units. The Fallschirmjäger in the Invasion 1944 demo (of the Sicily project) are dated 1944, and not really suited to a campaign that takes place in 1940.
Quote[/b] ]...... we are looking for or we will make dutch forces

Edit: start making, they've never been made before wink_o.gif

Quote (Shinkansen @ Sep. 22 2006,14:53)

they are BUT they have weapons of a later stage of the war

like the FG42 rifle

and uniforms

i can say that our team is at the moment strong with 3 man!

we have some useble addons!

and we WILL MAKE alot of addons.

but we need aslo a good island maker who can make fur use a dutch country side and a city like Rotterdam!

aslo we need a good airport dated 1938 - 1939

the plan of the Germans

The Plan

I/FJR1 and II/FJR1 were to capture the Dordrecht and Moerdijk bridges. III/FJR1 was to capture the airfield at Waalhaven. I/FJR2 and the 47th Inf. Rgt were to capture the airfields at Valkenburg, Ypenburg and Ockenburg. They were then to move onto the Hague and try to capture the Dutch Royal family.

we are thinking about 1 city and 1 airport not al named above

armies:

Germans:

Fallschirmjäger (from AtstWalker) and trenchfeet Ju-52

Dutch army: (make the soldier models and the DAF M39)

http://ww2photo.mimerswell.com/index.htm

weapons for the dutch army.

Manlicher M95, Schwarzalose MG, and the Lewis lmg (all 6'5mm and vilas model too)

The Holland army was equiped with weapons of the IWW because belive that the german army respects the Holland neutrality like IWW.

And don't forget "de afsluitdijk"

For some more info klick

here

aslo we need a good airport dated 1938 - 1939

Gilze-rijen?

Everybody kinda knows the story of rotterdam.. What about a story like.. From Tilburg To Breda? Between those 2 citys is the airbase Gilze-Rijen. And also the French dropped bombs on Tilburg to slow down the Germans and to give the French groundtroops a chance to cut the way of the Germans.

There is very much to find about the area. Maps, photos, etc. Also I live in the aera of Gilze-Rijen and can get pics on request.  smile_o.gif

A story about Goirle (south of Tilburg) Link

Gilze-Rijen

krant6.jpg

Maybe some other useful addons are the

- Stuka pack (wwiiec Filefront)

- Fieseler Storch (wwiiec Filefront)

- Henschel HS-123 Bratty Pacific division

@ AtStWalker

haven't seen for months that the Fallschirmjäger are available for download. Very nice package, I especially like the extra stuff included. smile_o.gif