Sign in to follow this  
demonhunter212

Close Quarters Combat

Why would they be banned, because they hurt people? That doesn't make any sense to me, it's not any more or less evil than stabbing them with a normal blade, beating them up with a foldable shovel or just the good old shooting them in the face.

I presume they would be banned under the Hague Convention (probably the Geneva Conventions too) which carries the following wording:

"it is especially forbidden -

To employ arms, projectiles, or material calculated to cause unnecessary suffering;"

Without getting too graphic, saw tooth bayonets or any notched blades can snag on internal parts pulling them out of the body with the blade.

Of course that doesn't mean much if the signatory nation decides to ignore it. The US for example decided that terrorists didn't count (and they call everyone a terrorist these days).

Quote[/b] ]It could be possible that sawtooth bayonets that have little notches cut into them are banned. Those would leave more jagged wounds instead of a cleaner one.

Why would they be banned, because they hurt people? That doesn't make any sense to me, it's not any more or less evil than stabbing them with a normal blade, beating them up with a foldable shovel or just the good old shooting them in the face.

But what's the purpose of having sawtooth bayonet anyway? I think you are supposed to make as smooth cut as possible so it would take longer to stop bleeding and heal.

It's the same reason hollowpoint bullets are banned from military use, it causes unnecessary suffering.

Of course that doesn't mean much if the signatory nation decides to ignore it. The US for example decided that terrorists didn't count (and they call everyone a terrorist these days).

It's not like the terrorists are following the Geneva Convention either...

It's probably banned simply because it's a cruel weapon. There's no reason to do unnecessary damage if a clean wound will incapacitate just the same.

Cruel acts are generally prohibited.

Quote[/b] ]It's not like the terrorists are following the Geneva Convention either...

Perhaps not, but everyone are obligated to follow it no less.

Besides, being able to stand fast defines character and can provide you with respect, even from your enemy.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

And you'll never win anyone's hearts being underhanded, guaranteed...