Sign in to follow this  
LaKing

OFP Script Editor

Always good to see new tools being developed. I'll check this out and try to give a descriptive review. smile_o.gif

EDIT

lakingofpe9sm.jpg

REVIEW:

This program can open and edit .sqs, .sqf, and .cpp files. It provides syntax highlighting for them as well, although the highlighting seems slower or clunkier than in CHOFPSE.

One of the unique features of the program seems to be the ability to open .pbo files. Doing so will list all the contents in a nice project-tree view in the left hand window, letting you switch between files inside quickly and easily. Any changes are saved in a temporary file I believe, so there is no need to save before opening a different script to edit.

When you are done, you select 'close and remove', and the program will save the changes and close the selected file. If you opened a .pbo file, it will DELETE the original .pbo, and instead save all its contents (including the changes you made) into an un-pbo'd folder within the program's folder. I'm not so sure if I like this.

Maybe I just need to be sold on the features of this program, but I don't think I personally would find it useful. Perhaps if you could open a .pbo file, make changes, and then save it, leaving it as a .pbo file with the modifications, I might find a use for it. But then again, I haven't used it much yet.

BUGS/ISSUES:

Lag opening .pbo file

When I select a .pbo file to open, there is a long delay between when I hit 'open', and when the open window closes and the files appear (de-pboing the file?). Could the 'open file' dialog disappear right away, and we have a 'loading bar' or something instead? It seems like the program freezes as is.

.cpp syntax highlighting not working on load

Newly opened .cpp files will NOT highlight their syntax, no matter what "perform" options I have selected. I have to manually turn off then on syntax highlighting after it has been opened, then it will highlight.

.cpp syntax thinks { is an error

The braces used to contain a class are highlighted as though they are unclosed. I don't know if this is intentional or not (I don't have a problem with it, and actually find it useful).

.sqs syntax highlighting very slow on load

When opening large scripts, there is a long lag between when it displays the text (all black), and when it colors the syntax. I can do nothing during this wait, which is rather annoying.

stringtable problems

Opening a stringtable has the same non-highlighting problems as with a .cpp. When I forced it to highlight, it took an unbearable amount of time as it found and highlighted each string. I had to force-quit because it would have taken forever (it was a long file, to be fair).

Won't open unrecognized file types

I have some .h / .hpp files which are basically #includes for description.ext / config.cpp. If there were some option screen so I could set these files (and any others I want) to be opened and highlighted as .cpp (or any other syntax I want), that would be great.

"Close and remove" doesn't remove file from window on the right

If you have a file open, and you "close and remove" everything from the left window, the file will remain in the right window. It should be removed. Furthermore, if you "close and remove" again (even though nothing is selected in the left window), it will save any modifications you have done to the script in the right window.

Index out of bounds error

I created a new .sqs file, selected it and immediately started typing text into the window on the right. An error window popped up. I chose to ignore the error, but whenever I typed a new letter down, the error would pop up. The character would only be drawn after I ignored the error. I had "autoword selection" and "highlight syntax on open" turned ON.

Quote[/b] ]

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.

at Editor.Form1.richTextBox_TextChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.OnTextChanged(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.TextBoxBase.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.WmReflectCommand(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.RichTextBox.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Editor

Assembly Version: 1.0.2342.24194

Win32 Version:

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/OFPScriptEditor/Editor.exe

msvcm80

Assembly Version: 8.0.50608.0

Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.42

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd/msvcm80.dll

System.Windows.Forms

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Keep up the good work! thumbs-up.gif

Nice ! But I agree with GB, if it also remade the PBO when you saved the changes it would be much more useful.

Even if you command line hook/execute one of the existing PBO compressor programs that we already use ....

ie PboX or MakePBO

I would work on my mission PBOs or addon PBOs within the MOD directories, therefore I am not so worried about messing the file or loosing it during edit/compression .... the original files I still have elsewhere anyway.

Yup, if it repacked the pbo this would be more usable...

And if it is just possible, remove the 'deleting of the original pbo'..

It's too much to demand to remember to be cautious about that when you have scripted on for 16 hrs. sraight.. tounge2.gif