Sign in to follow this  
Sniperwolf572

Textures badly degrade in distance

Hey guys, I have the following problem:

issue.jpg

As you can see, the grate/wire texture degrades into the distance and dissapears, I was wondering if anyone knew why this is happening and is there a solution?

This happens with every texture I make. But comparing to the BIS wire textures, it doesn't happen, other textures that exibit this are road textures, the lines on them become blurry only 4-5 meters infront and it looks really bad, while BIS ones get blurry way further.

Please help. sad_o.gif

im no expert on modding but that looks like a AF problem. If your card supports it, put it up to 16x and take a look.

Yeah, it supports it, but thats not the point. IE BIS fences are visible with low AF tho mine aren't and roads aren't that blurry, I'm gonna post a comparison pic of the roads later.

well, that's mipmapping with pac textures.

try messing around with paatool's mipmapping options. 'point' works best for those wire textures afair my tests.

you could also try paa format, but 1. you'll get the paabug and 2. the textures will look kinda solid semitransparent where they disappear in your example.

with other conversion tools you cannot influence the mipmapping filters btw.

Anyways, I tested with point mipmap and it worked on the fence, thanks for help remcen, anyways, point mipmap looks very odd on the road texture, as it completely changes the look of the roads in the distance. I haven't experimented with the formats yet, but my road textures are 256x128 and are in .paa format.

I will test the .pac when I get the chance.

don't test .pac with road textures... there's no point in doing so --

.pac doesn't support semi-transparency hence the edges of the road will look sharp where they should blend in with the ground texture.