Sign in to follow this  
xanos

Dedicated server issues

Whats wrong with my server, the problem is not in config not in maps or nothing it worked on my old comp but not with this new one. I have reinstalled ofp and server_1.96 program and everything...

help.gif

Look:

notworking6eh.png

Why it dont go forward and come text "Server identity created" and stuff. And look it says server creating failed on top bar sad_o.gif

banghead.gifgoodnight.gifbanghead.gif

Forums search will give you this thread amongst others.

Most likely causes are:

1. Port already in use (netstat -an should reveal that)

2. DNS issue: Server name lookup or server IP address lookup fails

One of the possible causes of 2: Server name contains a space, underscore, other special character, or starts with a number

Had this strange problem for a few days, couldnt figure it out for the life of me.

Then someone told me that the PC name you are hosting on cant start with a letter, and the server company we were hosting on had given our PC name a letter at the start.

Changed the PC name (control panel>system, somewhere in there), it worked.

Simpler still, it could just be the ports on the machine being blocked by a firewall ect.

Then someone told me that the PC name you are hosting on cant start with a letter, and the server company we were hosting on had given our PC name a letter at the start.

You meant to say number, not letter, right? wink_o.gif

Like HitmanFF says above, the computer name must not contain a space, underscore or other special character, nor should it start with a number.

Shush you smile_o.gif

Yeah i did. Cant start with a number thumbs-up.gif