Sign in to follow this  
Swedish Mercenary

The accuracy of the sniper rifles...

Does enyone else think BIS should tweak up the accuracy of the M21 and Dragunov in OFP or implament an option for adjustments to the scope, that would give it some fell of realety.

The sniper shoot their target at about 400 - 800m depending on the weapon system, position and terrain. In OFP i managed to kill a russian soldier at about 300 - 400m and that was after four magazines and i had to aim really high. I think BIS should set the accuracy of the sniper rifles so that the could hit something thats about 800 to 1000m or implament a way to set the scope for distance and windage.

The snipers in OFP are not really efective or realistic, you could give them an Aimpoint sight instead of the scope.

Hrm, I can drop a American running at 700m with a dragunov, you need practice.

you zeroed the scope of the m21 wrong

look in the manual it tells you how to use it properly

i managed to shoot an american at 1100m with the draugnov one time, it was pretty cool

Mil dots r used to calculate deflection. In reality, they can be used for quick calculation spotting without adjusting the sights. Pratice for those variables is needed to use them correctly.

With a red dot not possible to make calculations, without other reference point aid.

Now adjusting the scope for windage could be interesting, but the environment properties dont seem to have such an effect as in reality. This of course can be improved in the future. Its only a game of course.

By my opinion the M21 and Dragunov are quite well done in OFP. I actually have had experiences with the wind effecting bullet flight path.

Swedish mercenary you just need to spend "some" time at the shooting range practising wink.gif

I find the Sniper rifles also good portrayed in OFP, it´s not as easy as in other games, where you simply have to point and click on your target.

If you turn the elevation knob (often referred to as zoom on this boards) of the M21 according to target distance , that is target fits exactly between upper and lower horizontal reticule bars, you successfully calibrated the scope to counter for bullet drop caused by gravity, air friction ( temperature, humidity) and rifle/bullet specs/ballistics for that distance (of course in OFP that is a very simplified automatic all in one step, many real world data is not taken into account), means theoretically the bullet would travel where the aiming point is. Theoretically because wind is not taken into account, while we have vertical elevation knobs, there are no horizontal windage adjustage dials. So it´s always a bit of luck that plays into when shooting on extended range, as you have no clue how windy it is and the direction it blows from. In reality you could place a little streamer/flag, watch the trees bend or throw some hay/grass up to get an idea about the wind factor and necessary horizontal adjustments.

the SVD is easier and faster to handle than the M21 imo, as it doesn´t require you to play around with knobs, but has already a range scale and according deflection shooting markings.

BTW AFAIK OFP only renders about 500m, where is the need to shoot at 1000m when you can´t see anything beyond 500m...excluding you are not using setviewdistance in all of your missions, but i guess we´re talking about the standard here.